The Student Room Group

Uni educaltion

Hi, so I'm in year 12 and interesting in studying psychology at university, anyway i went to my first taster day yesterday where they did two mock lectures. I didn't' really understand the first lecture but i think it's because i had no background knowledge on it but i did understand the second one. Anyway i suck at writing notes. i find that if i try writing notes i end up missing the lecture and not understanding it and if i just listen i don't have enough notes as there's only so much i can write later. does this mean I'm not cut out for uni? i mean that's what I've heard teachers say that if you cant get your notes on your own you're not going to do well. i mean even at a levels I've found I'm better at taking notes from a textbook rather than someone I'm listening to. Can someone please help and let me know if I'm really not going to do well at uni or a way to improve or something because i have to go uni as i want to be a psychologist. Thank You
oh man, you need to chill. First year, so I've heard, is basically to ease you in. So you can sort out note taking methods in that year. Besides, you can always record all your lectures and then carrying a laptop helps cause typing whilst the lecturer dictates.

Dw, you already seem so keen and eager that you'll be fine
Reply 2
From experience as a first year, at first you do struggle with taking lecture notes because there is so much information in such a short period of time but you do adapt to it and find a method that suits you best as Nida said first year is easing you in :smile:
Reply 3
You can not record lectures unless you have the lecturers permission otherwise it comes under breach of copyright. However, if you have a disability you can be exempt from this.

Note taking is a habit. If you have never done it before then it is going to seem really odd! Practice listening to online university lectures. www.coursera.com is the place I started by taking free online courses that I found interesting.

Now that I am in the habit I get itchy for my pen whenever my teacher is talking. It just takes a little time that is all. :smile:
Reply 4
Loads of people don't go to lectures anyway, either because they're hung over, or they think they're useless. For most subjects, you can manage perfectly well either going to lectures and making brief notes, then doing the reading, or NOT going to lectures, reading the lecture notes which normally get put online, and using these to direct your reading.
Many unis will have handouts that you can annotate with extra stuff not mentioned on the slides, so note taking is easier when you don't have to write as many
Thank you everyone, that does make me feel better , its just this teacher was really harsh with me when i didn't have adequate notes in her class and she said i would not do well at uni so i got a little worried but yes thank you for all your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest