The Student Room Group

Registering to vote as a student

My parents put me on the electoral register as soon as I was old enough.

However with the way things have fallen I haven't been old enough to vote in any elections yet. That will change with the EU elections, and then, more importantly, the independence referendum.

Now, I know I'm registered to vote back home, but the other day myself and all of my flatmates received letters telling us a) That we were registered to vote at the address of our flat, and that b) "As requested" they have enclosed a form to register as a postal voter.

Since the entire flat received this I'm assuming our landlord(ie the uni's off-campus accommodation manager) has registered us to vote in the uni city and also to vote by post.

I have a couple of questions about this.

1. If I don't send back the postal vote form, will I still be registered to vote at both addresses? I'd rather vote in person.

2. I know that you can vote only once per election, but can be registered both at home and at uni. Do I have to declare before hand where I will vote for the EU election? Or do they send poll cards to both addresses and then I just turn up at one or the other?
We had some people come round to our university house about voting and I asked them when the next election was and they didn't know. ROFLMFAO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending