The Student Room Group

Circular motion

A stone of mass 0.5kg performs complete vertical circles on the end of a string of length 1m. Show that the string must be strong enough to support a tension of at least 29.4N.

Surely as we aren't given a speed the maximum tension on the string is just the weight of the mass - 4.9N?
Original post by Europa192
A stone of mass 0.5kg performs complete vertical circles on the end of a string of length 1m. Show that the string must be strong enough to support a tension of at least 29.4N.

Surely as we aren't given a speed the maximum tension on the string is just the weight of the mass - 4.9N?

That's what I would've thought as well. Is this question from the Edexcel M3 book by any chance?
To perform a complete circle it needs a certain minimum velocity at the top of the circle.
Hence the minimum velocity at the bottom of the circle must be ...
Hence it must support a tension of ....
Reply 3
Original post by Khallil
That's what I would've thought as well. Is this question from the Edexcel M3 book by any chance?

Nope, AQA M2. I keep rereading it to see if maybe I missed any information out. But even if it did give a speed this would mean the force resulting from the particles acceleration would decrease the tension needed. So how its meant to be 29.4N...
Original post by Europa192

Oh wait. I just assumed that the velocity at the highest point of the circle must be greater than 0. That's not the case. You'd need to find the lowest possible velocity by considering the conservation of energy!

Edit: That would then lead you to the lowest possible tension that could support such movement.
Reply 5
Thanks to both of you :smile:
Original post by ghostwalker
To perform a complete circle it needs a certain minimum velocity at the top of the circle.
Hence the minimum velocity at the bottom of the circle must be ...
Hence it must support a tension of ....

I had started this question and was having trouble when I found these postings. I had a go and am posting my workings.

The answer I'm looking for is the one I get minus the mg acting away from the centre. If the stone was part way round the circle then we would use T -mgcosTheta = ma so why don't we do T- mg at the bottom of the loop?
Original post by maggiehodgson
I had started this question and was having trouble when I found these postings. I had a go and am posting my workings.

The answer I'm looking for is the one I get minus the mg acting away from the centre. If the stone was part way round the circle then we would use T -mgcosTheta = ma so why don't we do T- mg at the bottom of the loop?

You should be using T-mg in at the bottom of the circle.

Your error lies futher back in the working.

At one point you had 0.5v2=4.90.5v^2=4.9

From which you concluded, erroneously, that v2=19.6v^2=19.6
Original post by ghostwalker
You should be using T-mg in at the bottom of the circle.

Your error lies futher back in the working.

At one point you had 0.5v2=4.90.5v^2=4.9

From which you concluded, erroneously, that v2=19.6v^2=19.6

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest