The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

deianra
Yes, but if they were good enough, they would have gone to the grammar?

Why do you assume that all intelligent 10 year olds apply to grammars? Or more importantly, their parents push them to apply, in most cases.

I don't know many kids who would rather go to a grammar school than a comprehensive school at the age of 10. Most were bothered about playing etc., not too serious about education.
deianra
I did.

And because you were such an independent thinking eleven year old, you didn't ask your parents to take you to the exam or pay for your bus fair?

My point is, you need your parents support and without it you can't really go to grammars, can you?
me!
so grammars are for the accademically elite it seems then...

I completely disagree.

In my view, grammars are for relatively bright children whose parents push them to go to a grammar, in general.

In deianra's case, I cannot judge - Because she is very bright anyway and she said she wanted to go to a grammar, which is fair enough.

But I disagree with the "academically elite". Elite in what?

Please elaborate.
Reply 103
deianra
Yes, but if they were good enough, they would have gone to the grammar?

But to say that means that your saying even the cleverest kid in a comp is not as bright as the 'kid with the lowest mark' or whatever in the enterance test...

I go to a lower than bog standard comp and there's one guy there who aspires to be an astrophysicist (sp) for NASA, he didn't get into the grammar yet he is definately above average intelligence achieving E.P's in both Science and Maths in year 9, how many kids in grammars get that?
Reply 104
bono
Didn't you laugh when you read that comment, and with a red angry face as well just to emphasize her hatred towards you? :smile:

of course, it is amusing how pathetic some people can be to turn a simple comment on my part into their only viscious contribution to this thread. youd think some people were hung up on soliciting my every word..
me!

I go to a lower than bog standard comp and there's one guy there who aspires to be an astrophysicist (sp) for NASA, he didn't get into the grammar yet he is definately above average intelligence achieving E.P's in both Science and Maths in year 9, how many kids in grammars get that?

Which makes a mockery out of grammar schools when their motos are "we select the best". They clearly don't.
vienna95
of course, it is amusing how pathetic some people can be to turn a simple comment on my part into their only viscious contribution to this thread. youd think some people were hung up on soliciting my every word..

Vienna, why has your post count dropped by around 300?
Reply 107
bono
I completely disagree.

In my view, grammars are for relatively bright children whose parents push them to go to a grammar, in general.

In deianra's case, I cannot judge - Because she is very bright anyway and she said she wanted to go to a grammar, which is fair enough.

But I disagree with the "academically elite". Elite in what?

Please elaborate.

"Yes, but if they were good enough, they would have gone to the grammar?"

so kids who don't get into grammars aren't as good as those who do...

It's not my opinion but it's what I'm getting from some of the posts here
happysunshine
Which makes a mockery out of grammar schools when their motos are "we select the best". They clearly don't.

How can you select the best at the age of 10 years old?!

It's almost a joke, seriously.
Reply 109
Also if grammars select the 'top x%' via the means of the 11+ surely that means they are getting the academically elite, right? How can you possible decide on 2 tests at the age of 10 or 11 how intelligent a child is...
bono
How can you select the best at the age of 10 years old?!

It's almost a joke, seriously.
Very much so.

Admittidly, my brain developed at about 12 (which was all of year eight for me) and I became one of the brightest then.

They should definitely select later than 11 (although 10 years of age for the younger ones). They don't turn rebel like at this age, it is impossible to detect how good a student will proress at this age and how hard they will work for the next five years.
deianra
Sigh.

Kendrick was in Reading. I lived in Cardiff. I found out about Kendrick via a friend and telephoned the Admissions Officer. This was in February/March 1998. However, I was severely disappointed to find out that the Admissions tests had been taken in November. After asking my primary school headteacher to ring Kendrick's Head several times telling them of my situation, how Cardiff didn't have any grammar schools, my academical status...Kendrick agreed to let me take the test with the condition that if I did very well, they'd give me a place on the waiting list. I did very very well and they gave me a place.

So they didn't really take me to the exam place, nor did they pay for my bus fare (I got a free bus pass from the council because of low income and living a long way from school). Did my parents support me? Yes, they did, but I did most of the grovelling to the Headteachers.

Are you saying that if you wanted to go to the grammar, your parents would have refused?

I still think testing 10 year old kids is bordering farcical.
Reply 112
bono
Vienna, why has your post count dropped by around 300?

i have no idea. im assuming with the change around, theyve axed threads. of course the completely pointless Harry Potter thread is still around no doubt, maintaining some peoples only form of existence here
vienna95
i have no idea. im assuming with the change around, theyve axed threads. of course the completely pointless Harry Potter thread is still around no doubt, maintaining some peoples only form of existence here

Yes, but you only ever participate in constructive debates and threads.
Reply 114
happysunshine
Very much so.

Admittidly, my brain developed at about 12 (which was all of year eight for me) and I became one of the brightest then.

They should definitely select later than 11 (although 10 years of age for the younger ones). They don't turn rebel like at this age, it is impossible to detect how good a student will proress at this age and how hard they will work for the next five years.
Heh. Join a Public School. We all change at 13.
deianra
Sigh.

Kendrick was in Reading. I lived in Cardiff. I found out about Kendrick via a friend and telephoned the Admissions Officer. This was in February/March 1998. However, I was severely disappointed to find out that the Admissions tests had been taken in November. After asking my primary school headteacher to ring Kendrick's Head several times telling them of my situation, how Cardiff didn't have any grammar schools, my academical status...Kendrick agreed to let me take the test with the condition that if I did very well, they'd give me a place on the waiting list. I did very very well and they gave me a place.

So they didn't really take me to the exam place, nor did they pay for my bus fare (I got a free bus pass from the council because of low income and living a long way from school). Did my parents support me? Yes, they did, but I did most of the grovelling to the Headteachers.

Are you saying that if you wanted to go to the grammar, your parents would have refused?

You are clearly an exception and you know that.

My parents did refuse because they were not fully aware. I don't blame them at all either. But they were going to let me move to one if I wanted after a year at comprehensive, but I chose to stay. But still the last bit isn't the point.
Tek
Heh. Join a Public School. We all change at 13.

Are public schools just for males? I get confused at all these definitions for fee paying schools.

One of my other localish grammars does a entrance at thirteen thing, I feel this is much better.
Reply 117
I think we should just abolish all state schools really.
deianra
The system works well enough though, if you consider the results you get. Only the minority are missed but these do sometimes join later. My best friend joined in Year 8, another I know in Year 10 and they all got brilliant results.

How can we assess a 'right' age? Many do not develop until 16/17, when they do their AS/A2s...

Well I don't know if you noticed but almost most of the teachers pets and goody-two-shoes who worked very hard in junior school stopped working at around year 7/8. And you were then left with the hard workers who I feel kept this up.

I'm not saying about the brain developing, just that people who are lucky enough to get into these good schools often change.
deianra
As far as I know, all grammars allow entry at all ages, depending on how many places they have available. You just have to ring up and enquire.

Public schools are not just for males. It depends on which school you go to.

Yes, my mum phoned up the lot... private and grammars. But because their was a waiting list still then even with an interview I probably wouldn't have gained a place for a while.

Latest

Trending

Trending