The Student Room Group

Gay Pride parades: a horrible idea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's an excuse for a party. If you want to make a point go in normal clothes and enjoy yourself just as much. You don't have to pay attention to people who you think are stupid.
Reply 21
Yes I agree, very annoying and often not about tolerance of diversity at all as often it's still only the pretty or cool ones they have any time for and only people with the same vacuous mindset. Incredibly intolerant in that respect I'd say.
Do straight pride parades exist? I think it's only true 'equality' if we can march too.
Notting hill carnival hasn't exactly done the black community any harm.
Original post by AstroNandos
Do straight pride parades exist? I think it's only true 'equality' if we can march too.

Yes, this is what we need! Finally someone is standing up for the true victim of oppression and prejudice in our society, the white, middle class, heterosexual Englishman.
Reply 25
Original post by Dandaman1
There was recently a Gay Pride parade near my hometown, and it got me reflecting on whether or not these are actually a good idea.

If homosexuals want to be accepted by society, to become no big deal and to be seen as an unthreatening part of our communities, then dressing up in feathers, leather straps and spandex, marching down the street to "It's raining men" and getting up in people's faces is not going to help your cause at all. From my perspective, this only serves to reinforce the idea that you're somehow weird and different. A bunch of queens dressed up in glittered gimp costumes, grinding up against each other on pink floats and riding down the street is probably going to do more to make people feel uncomfortable than want to accept you. Ideally, what you want is to become as boring and mundane as possible. Sure, spread educational awareness of homosexuality, why its nothing to be afraid of, and why its absolutely fine, but don't deliberately weird people out to make a statement, flaunting your sexuality to be tolerated by the public. And what is needed is not tolerance - which implies people are having to put up with something different that they may not necessarily like - but apathy. Nobody should care that you're gay. I'd even go as far to say that the Gay Pride flag is dumb for similar reasons.

Does anyone here agree?

EDIT: Some wording edited due to a little misinterpretation/confusion.

Your whole post is taken from adoseofbuckley's recent video on Ellen Page coming out and you made no attempt to share a link to the video in your post. I do agree with the point made though, even though it is not your own.
Original post by AstroNandos

Are straight people discriminated against?
Original post by Dandaman1
There was recently a Gay Pride parade near my hometown, and it got me reflecting on whether or not these are actually a good idea.

If homosexuals want to be accepted by society, to become no big deal and to be seen as an unthreatening part of our communities, then dressing up in feathers, leather straps and spandex, marching down the street to "It's raining men" and getting up in people's faces is not going to help your cause at all. From my perspective, this only serves to reinforce the idea that you're somehow weird and different. A bunch of queens dressed up in glittered gimp costumes, grinding up against each other on pink floats and riding down the street is probably going to do more to make people feel uncomfortable than want to accept you. Ideally, what you want is to become as boring and mundane as possible. Sure, spread educational awareness of homosexuality, why its nothing to be afraid of, and why its absolutely fine, but don't deliberately weird people out to make a statement, flaunting your sexuality to be tolerated by the public. And what is needed is not tolerance - which implies people are having to put up with something different that they may not necessarily like - but apathy. Nobody should care that you're gay. I'd even go as far to say that the Gay Pride flag is dumb for similar reasons.

Does anyone here agree?

EDIT: Some wording edited due to a little misinterpretation/confusion.

I think it would be naive to say that there is no need for LGBT+ Pride parades. It can be a way of raising awareness of issues, or campaigning against inequality. For the + orientations it can simply be about educating people on their existence. Sure, there are other ways of doing it, but what's wrong with this way?

Bear in mind that the media's representation of Pride marches tends to focus on the stereotypical characters, and ignore the more mundane.
I agree, just because somebody is gay doesnt mean that society should have big parades that only reinforce stereotypes.

I mean when people turn gay their personality, lifestyle, hobbies (and similar) dont change. The only thing that changes is the sex of the person they are going to end up with, that`s all. They are not going to suddenly bloom into this colourful, feathery, diva-like queen most stereotypes associate them with.
Original post by Wolve
Your whole post is taken from adoseofbuckley's recent video on Ellen Page coming out and you made no attempt to share a link to the video in your post. I do agree with the point made though, even though it is not your own.

I was already of this opinion before his video, as were many others - it's not like it's his own, unique and patented viewpoint. Following a 'winter-themed' Pride event at my local civic centre the other week, and after watching his video yesterday, it was on my mind and I felt the point needed reiterating.

Sue me. :pierre:
Pride marches will always give people what they want to see. For some, it's outrageous that people who are Not Normal just flaunt that fact in everyone's face. For others, it's a 'I am what I am' celebration.

You don't get to say what a Pride march should include. Get over it.
Meanwhile in Mother Russia, gay prides are met with batons and jackboots. As long as that goes on gay prides most certainly have there place.

Anyway, it is also a great excuse to camp it up and have a party.
Reply 32
Original post by tengentoppa
Ignore the "be yourself" hippies above. My gay friends hate "gay pride" as it promotes a stereotype they want to disassociate themselves with. Not all gay people want to be queens, and the queens should respect that.

I so agree. Pride events just reinforces prejudice of LGBT people (camp, OTT etc). As LGBT myself, I think we'd be better off having something similar to black history month, people learn about LGBT importance to society without reinforcing any stereotypes. A lot of gay people don't want to come out due to being presented as a effeminate man or a butch woman.

Some people may disagree with me but I understand why people don't want to come out, it's not fair on people to take such as risk, then be given a label that doesn't reflect who they are. My sexuality does not define me, it's just one of my qualities.

I personally think 'Queens' should have some cross-dressing event instead (not trying to be offensive) or something that unites them rather than their sexuality.
Original post by serebro
Pride events just reinforces prejudice of LGBT people (camp, OTT etc).

People see the parts of events that they want to see.
Reply 34
Sex belongs in the bedroom not properganda at children as they walk home after school
Original post by James222
Sex belongs in the bedroom not properganda at children as they walk home after school

Granted, but how is that relevant?
Reply 36
Original post by shadowdweller
Granted, but how is that relevant?

Its what gay parades, gays lobbying for gay characters in disney films ans cartoons and govt teaching about homosexuality in schools is all about
Original post by James222
Its what gay parades, gays lobbying for gay characters in disney films ans cartoons and govt teaching about homosexuality in schools is all about

Teaching about homosexuality isn't the same as propaganda? Like, do children who are gay not deserve to be taught that that's normal?
Reply 38
Original post by shadowdweller
Teaching about homosexuality isn't the same as propaganda? Like, do children who are gay not deserve to be taught that that's normal?

Teaching morality is the domain of parents not the state. Sure schools should teach what legal or illegal but not exposing children to homosexuality or what it is.
11,12 year olds are not gay. Its not the job of the state to say whats normal
I think they're fantastic. So many straight people want us to hide away and assimilate to their way of thinking, and gay pride is us saying "we're here, and we're not going anywhere... and we don't care if you don't like this"

A minority does not gain rights and freedoms by pandering to the oppressive majority.

Pride isn't about being "proud" of being gay. It's about being proud of how far we've come, what we've changed and the way society is allowing those who don't conform to be seen more equally. People are still beaten up, disowned and murdered for being LGBTQ, and pride is a way of showing people that no matter what happens, we aren't going away, so people will have to get used to it.

Having a queer friends doesn't make you entitled to speak about what pride means. Some gay people dislike it, they'd rather play possum, most would rather not. And for that reason, I'll always support it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending