The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Best accomodation to apply for at Aston?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anyne know how it is sharing kitchens between 6-10 people in Lakeside accomodation? Is it crowded or hard to get on? Also, how is the road noise?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
So how does applying for accomodation work? Do you have to pay anything like a deposit before you're accepted on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spanishovenfork
So how does applying for accomodation work? Do you have to pay anything like a deposit before you're accepted on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your acceptance on your course is irrespective of you paying a deposit for campus accommodation. You will however have to pay a deposit prior to moving in, which will be refunded in full at your request at the end of the academic year.

Hope this helps. Of course, if you have any specific campus accommodation questions and queries you can always contact the accommodation office. http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/accommodation/
Original post by bobbobbobbb
Your acceptance on your course is irrespective of you paying a deposit for campus accommodation. You will however have to pay a deposit prior to moving in, which will be refunded in full at your request at the end of the academic year.

Hope this helps. Of course, if you have any specific campus accommodation questions and queries you can always contact the accommodation office. http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/accommodation/

Oh ok thank you. Even if you firm the uni, is it still first come first served for your preferred accomodation?? I am looking to firm within next few days but keep delaying it as I want to send off student finance at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok thank you. Even if you firm the uni, is it still first come first served for your preferred accomodation?? I am looking to firm within next few days but keep delaying it as I want to send off student finance at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware, although cannot be 100% sure, all first years who firm before the deadline are guaranteed campus accommodation. Of course, this is something the accommodation office will know more about :smile:
Reply 25
I'm planning to go with private halls, either the Height or the Penworks, which looks really nice :smile: but I'm not too sure which one to choose
Original post by Dee-D
I'm planning to go with private halls, either the Height or the Penworks, which looks really nice :smile: but I'm not too sure which one to choose

Definitely worth going to look at before booking. Penworks is really nice, not sure what the Heights is like. Other Unite properties in Birmingham like Londonderry house are a bit questionable in my opinion.
Hey guys, I firmed Aston last night. I got an email on accomodation, so will be sorting that out soon. I want to apply for the 5 bed accom, on the application form would it say a specific named 5 bed flat to choose from, or would it just say whether you want 5/7/10 bed accom? Hope that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Hey guys, I firmed Aston last night. I got an email on accomodation, so will be sorting that out soon. I want to apply for the 5 bed accom, on the application form would it say a specific named 5 bed flat to choose from, or would it just say whether you want 5/7/10 bed accom? Hope that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

you get three options, so you can choose the 5 bed they refer to as (ensuite delux (5bed)) as your 1st choice then the 7 bed as your 2nd, then say lakeside as your third choice.. they weren't specific about the name of the flat except for lakeside
Original post by Dee-D
you get three options, so you can choose the 5 bed they refer to as (ensuite delux (5bed)) as your 1st choice then the 7 bed as your 2nd, then say lakeside as your third choice.. they weren't specific about the name of the flat except for lakeside

Thanks for that. Im applying for accommodation, however im not sure whether I should do 42 or 45 weeks? Would all uni exams have finished by 42nd week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that. Im applying for accommodation, however im not sure whether I should do 42 or 45 weeks? Would all uni exams have finished by 42nd week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exams this year finish mid July, so I would have thought so.

Not sure if the exam period is on the term dates page on the website? Worth a look
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exams will definitely finish before the minimum lease of halls, that's guaranteed because the university itself has set those. If exams exceed that then you'll be able to appeal to them regarding this.
Reply 32
Advice I'd give as a first year;

Living in halls isn't cheap. Don't be fooled by what they're saying about rent for 2014/15, it's actually more expensive because they've increased the minimum lease. My flatmate did the math and though weekly it's cheaper for you guys, you're actually paying more in total.

That being said, it's not cheap this year. But's it's 100% worth it. The friends you make primarily will be those in your flat then on your floor and then generally around the block you live in. Not to say you won't make friends in private accommodation, but life is just generally easier with halls. The problem you'll have is the private halls around aren't cheap either. Cosmo (Sanctuary) just increased their weekly rent and I'd imagine so will Penworks & Heights next year. Private accommodation will also be full of second and third years so you may have difficult adjusting to that.

It isn't right how much uni get away with charging for halls, considering what we already pay in fees. but the experience is priceless.
Reply 33
Hey can anyone in the 7 bed room take some pictures so I can see what it looks like please? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I got accepted for MBA 2014/15. I am thinking of firming the offer in a week or so.
I was wondering if someone could guide me to what accommodation to choose.
I like to party and make lots of friends and I am kinda young compare to the MBA average crowd(very young :colondollar:).
As I m an international student and MBA demands a lot of activities I have to stay in campus only. So feel free to give any advice :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!
Do we only find out our accomodation once we've been confirmed onto our course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
do they return your deposit if you decide not to go there in the end?
do they refund your deposit back if you choose not to go
Original post by britneybitch
do they refund your deposit back if you choose not to go

Have a look through the accommodation contract and call the accommodation office. I would look through mine for you, but the contract is likely to have changed for 2014/15.
For you.. the most expensive that is farthest away from campus.

Quick Reply

Latest