The Student Room Group

Eating lean on a student budget?

Is it possible?
I'm moving out for my 2nd year at Uni and I want try a healthier eating plan to accompany the gym but I'm a bit worried about cost.

Any tips, advice, personal experiences?

Also, any good supplements/protein shakes I should try for toning up? Or should I steer clear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think so, people always seem to moan that fruit and veg is expensive but it doesn't have to be if you shop at places like Lidl and Aldi. Anyway, have you seen the price of a takeaway?!

You also need to be clever with cooking, grill where possible and cut any visible fat off meat. I always drain minced beef as this gets rid of any unnecessary fat.

And you'll save loads of money through not buying sweets and crisps etc and this money can be spent on slightly more expensive items such as fish.
Reply 2
Original post by Add!ction
I think so, people always seem to moan that fruit and veg is expensive but it doesn't have to be if you shop at places like Lidl and Aldi. Anyway, have you seen the price of a takeaway?!

You also need to be clever with cooking, grill where possible and cut any visible fat off meat. I always drain minced beef as this gets rid of any unnecessary fat.

And you'll save loads of money through not buying sweets and crisps etc and this money can be spent on slightly more expensive items such as fish.

I guess it's just common sense really.
Yes I always try to grill, cut off fat and drain mince anyway so that shouldn't be a problem :smile:

Thanks for your tips!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Fresh lean meat/fish is one of the most expensive things you can buy in food shops.
Tuna tins from poundland and chicken from farm foods. My protein.com is cheap im not sure about quality its the only protien shakes ive used so I have nothing to compare it to
Dont buy any fizzy drinks thats hood for your diet and youll save money
Reply 6
I find that fish is a great source of protein. Usually two salmon fillets (they are quite small) will pack about 40ish grams of protein. Furthermore, fish is so low in fat. I usually have 2 fillets and some vegetables for my dinner.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
As long as you are eating healthy you shouldn't really need to take any supplements, you should be getting everything from your diet. Try having more nuts and seeds with 0% fat free greek yoghurt - lots of protein in this and the bags of seeds and nuts will last you a while.

Also try eating more fish like everyone else has recommended. Shop around to make sure you can the best priced food. Have a look on supermarket counters for deals and reduced prices too. I used to work on a fish/meat counter and there are always good deals to be had!

Good luck!

I absolutely agree with this. I can't even count the number of times that people at my uni complained that they couldn't eat healthily because it was too expensive - yet would happily spend £40 on drinks in one night, or spend £15 on a pizza from Dominos!

Shop around, see if there are any independent fruit & veg shops in your local area - I have one in my village and the prices are half of what they are at supermarkets, and the produce is much nicer anyway. It's all about priority, really. If you want to eat healthily you should be able to, but you might have to cut back on other things as well.
Original post by manu01
I find that fish is a great source of protein. Usually two salmon fillets (they are quite small) will pack about 40ish grams of protein. Furthermore, fish is so low in fat. I usually have 2 fillets and some vegetables for my dinner.

not true - if you have 200g salmon (40g protein), fat content will be 26g.
Original post by commandant
not true - if you have 200g salmon (40g protein), fat content will be 26g.

Yes but it is good fat and 200g is quite a lot.
Original post by Bassetts
Fresh lean meat/fish is one of the most expensive things you can buy in food shops.

Try and buy them on offer, a lot of supermarkets do something like 3 for £10 so you could buy a chicken, a pack of mince and pork chops for example.

I work for Sainsbury's and I believe that lean is the same price but I find that draining the mince does the same job :smile:
Yes but it is good fat and 200g is quite a lot.

40g worth of protein from salmon would equate roughly 200g

but it is fat nonetheless, so you can't say 'salmon is so low in fat' :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by commandant
40g worth of protein from salmon would equate roughly 200g

but it is fat nonetheless, so you can't say 'salmon is so low in fat' :wink:

Hahahah my bad!
The fat in salmon is good.
Reply 14
Dry beans.

Fantastic foods and easy to prepare. Chuck them in stews and curries for high protein, high fibre meals.
Reply 15
Thanks so much for all the tips.

I guess it is just about shopping around and bargain hunting.

Any particular healthy/rich in protein or fibre recipes you guys recommend??

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you aren't a fresh, free-range, organic snob you can get decent food very cheap. Iceland do 1kg of chicken breast fillets for £5, 1kg of white fish (I have no idea what it actually is but the nutrition profile is great!) for £4 and milk is 25p per pint if you buy in 4 pint bottles/cartons.
Reply 17
Original post by Implication
If you aren't a fresh, free-range, organic snob you can get decent food very cheap. Iceland do 1kg of chicken breast fillets for £5, 1kg of white fish (I have no idea what it actually is but the nutrition profile is great!) for £4 and milk is 25p per pint if you buy in 4 pint bottles/cartons.

Forgot about Iceland! So cheap! And good for cheat days too haha. Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've got a Lidl near you, then you really are set. Can't quite remember it off the top of my head, but iirc, they do something like 400g of lean mince beef for £2.50. Personally, what I do, is I go into Sainsburys and get loads of Basics Minced Beef. I know they are not lean as such, but it is an improvement over iceland's minced beef, and they are like £1.50 each and look and taste like minced beef. Don't get wrong, the frozen minced beef was still good; I practically lived off it for my first term of uni.

Other than that, I'd suggest having a look at your local butchers. They may or may not be more expensive, but if you look around, you might be a ; at the very least it would help you when looking at some other places to buy meat.

Definetly go into tescos about 45mins before closing time though, near the meat chillers. You can usually find stuff that has been discounted by a ridiculous amount. Co-Op food stores are also good for this apparently.
Reply 19
Original post by jammy4041
If you've got a Lidl near you, then you really are set. Can't quite remember it off the top of my head, but iirc, they do something like 400g of lean mince beef for £2.50. Personally, what I do, is I go into Sainsburys and get loads of Basics Minced Beef. I know they are not lean as such, but it is an improvement over iceland's minced beef, and they are like £1.50 each and look and taste like minced beef. Don't get wrong, the frozen minced beef was still good; I practically lived off it for my first term of uni.

Other than that, I'd suggest having a look at your local butchers. They may or may not be more expensive, but if you look around, you might be a ; at the very least it would help you when looking at some other places to buy meat.

Definetly go into tescos about 45mins before closing time though, near the meat chillers. You can usually find stuff that has been discounted by a ridiculous amount. Co-Op food stores are also good for this apparently.

Never thought of going to stores near closing, that might be a good time to grab so bargains. Though since most shops close 10pm and later that maybe a little difficult.
Thanks for the tips.
How about quorn? Is that expensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest