The Student Room Group

Physics

I suck at maths but find physics fairly easy at GCSE I reckon ill get A in physics but c in maths could I do physics at A level?
Reply 1
I have some friends who do physics A level but not maths, it doesn't overly seem to affect them at AS, although sometimes they say they don't pick things up as quickly as those who study maths. As long as you enjoy the subject, and know you can apply yourself to it and work hard, then pick it. If you have no interest in the subject, then you may feel less inclined to work hard at it so only choose physics if you enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The mechanics module in maths has a link to the mechanics unit in physics however I have a friend who didn't take maths for a level and isn't finding it any harder than the rest of us :smile: However don't just take it because you find it easy at GCSE, take it because you have some interest in it because as I'm finding out you have to love your subjects or else you won't want to revise them :smile:
Reply 3
I didn't take maths A level and I got a C in Maths GCSE. I did however get an A in physics GCSE.
I am in A2, although last year I got a D in physics as a result of me getting 2/60 on the first paper (I really don't know why I gave up, It was the first science exam I had, and I was nervous as hell - I got a mid B on my second paper and A on the QQE, hence I'm retaking the shorter unit this year, anyhows) I'm currently on an A for mocks and past papers.

What would've really benefited me was learning the maths I've learnt now, last year. Don't be alarmed, though - the mathematics are GCSE level. It may help to understand some A level maths to further improve your understanding of theories. The maths goes as far as: rearranging some equations, some proof using algebra, some logical thinking, trigonometry, certain mathematical laws, natural logarithms, stating definitions from equations and using a calculator. At least, this is true for OCR A physics.

The maths is very easy to learn, the logical thinking is a tad bit more difficult, but if you're prepared to do well and hence put in the work, you'll do just fine.
Also, I sucked at maths, dude. I didn't even know how to rearrange an equation coming into A level, the most I could do was recite a few times table. Now I can understand A level maths, if I learn it. I may not remember it, but I can understand and learn it :tongue: Physics did teach me to think logically.
Reply 4
Dude, I know someone who got a C in Maths and an A in Physics for GCSE; he was accepted into both the Maths AND Physics AS courses, despite my school's ridiculously high standards, and he's doing pretty well in both. Some people might be jerkasses and say, for example, "urrghh, you're not allowed to like Physics if you're so crap at Maths, give up hope" - but honestly, if you really enjoy it and are prepared to study very, very hard then I say go for it. :smile: Be warned, though: it gets MUCH harder at A-level.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest