The Student Room Group

Questions on UCAS?!

Good evening!

I've had all my UCAS replies for over a month now, 5/5 offers for the places I applied for:

Business & Events Management // UWE, Bristol
Events Management with Arts and Entertainment // Sheffield Hallam
Music & Live Events Management // Buckinghamshire New
Events Management // Bournemouth
Events Management // Cardiff Met

For ages and ages I had my heart set on Bournemouth and was glad to get an offer (it's a high number of IB points for an events course) and now when I think of the practicality of coming home (which I plan on doing quite abit) to Birmingham, it doesn't seem such a good idea. I had my plan as Bournemouth as my firm and Cardiff Met as my insurance. (I love Cardiff Met but it's my lowest no. of points offer, so I can't really put it as firm?).

Anyhow, I have some questions:

If I receive an unconditional offer from my firm after my exam results, can I choose to go to my insurance over it?

Is there anyway I could apply for a late choice (as in Extra) without losing ALL my offers? (I haven't applied near London and realise it would be quite a useful place for my degree etc. and is the only city bigger than the one I currently live in, in England.)

Thanks to anyone who answers these! :smile::smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helerrrn

If I receive an unconditional offer from my firm after my exam results, can I choose to go to my insurance over it?

Is there anyway I could apply for a late choice (as in Extra) without losing ALL my offers? (I haven't applied near London and realise it would be quite a useful place for my degree etc. and is the only city bigger than the one I currently live in, in England.)

1. No. If you get your firm, your insurance choice disappears into thin air
2. No. You have to withdraw from all your choices if you want to go through Extra. You can't have your bun and your penny.
Reply 2

Thanks to anyone who answers these! :smile::smile::smile:

1. You can decline your firm & choose your insurance choice, but your insurance doesn't need to accept you. So there's no guarantee you'll get in your insurance. But if it's unconditional (your firm), nope.
2. You cannot use Extra without declining your current offers. You also can't use clearing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets

1. No. If you get your firm, your insurance choice disappears into thin air
2. No. You have to withdraw from all your choices if you want to go through Extra. You can't have your bun and your penny.

Original post by Hanover
1. You can decline your firm & choose your insurance choice, but your insurance doesn't need to accept you. So there's no guarantee you'll get in your insurance. But if it's unconditional (your firm), nope.
2. You cannot use Extra without declining your current offers. You also can't use clearing.

Well then I'm a little bit screwed. Ah well, thank you for the prompt answers. :-)
now when I think of the practicality of coming home (which I plan on doing quite abit) to Birmingham, it doesn't seem such a good idea.

If you cannot cope with the concept of a through train straight from Bournemouth to Birmingham New Street with no changes are you sure you would be capable of managing an event? :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by nulli tertius
If you cannot cope with the concept of a through train straight from Bournemouth to Birmingham New Street with no changes are you sure you would be capable of managing an event? :tongue:

Its not so much the concept, more the £187 rail return ticket. That or the 6 hour (still expensive) coach journey. Book early etc, railcard I have, I know I know but it's still looking like a scary knock on the small student allowance I will receive. :rolleyes:
Its not so much the concept, more the £187 rail return ticket. That or the 6 hour (still expensive) coach journey. Book early etc, railcard I have, I know I know but it's still looking like a scary knock on the small student allowance I will receive. :rolleyes:

Off peak return (so no booking-turn up and go fare) with a railcard is £62.50. Cross Country doesn't have an evening blockade on off peak travel so you can leave peak time Friday evening and return any time Sunday.

I appreciate sixty squid is not ten shillings and sixpence but nor is it £187.
Reply 7

How often are you planning on going home? Once every term? Try and start saving up now so it's not as much of a burden later on.
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
Off peak return (so no booking-turn up and go fare) with a railcard is £62.50. Cross Country doesn't have an evening blockade on off peak travel so you can leave peak time Friday evening and return any time Sunday.

I appreciate sixty squid is not ten shillings and sixpence but nor is it £187.

Thats what it came up as on NationalRail if I needed to leave tomorrow say. Its more that if I needed to go home urgently (for a family matter) or something had come up unexpectedly that I wanted to go to back home, then it's going to cost a bomb, is my worry. (I am that person that worries about everything, yes).

Original post by TSR561
How often are you planning on going home? Once every term? Try and start saving up now so it's not as much of a burden later on.

More than that. Probably at least once every 6 weeks. (Two best friends are staying in my hometown, leaving a nice double bed behind etc.) Me being able to actually save money would be some form of miracle haha.

I just had a look and to go home this weekend, booking now, using a railcard would be £53.50, so I don't know where you got £187 from.
Reply 10
Original post by Origami Bullets
I just had a look and to go home this weekend, booking now, using a railcard would be £53.50, so I don't know where you got £187 from.

NationalRail open return for tomorrow and without a rail card. Which I guess its pretty pointless as just occurred to me I wouldn't be coming home on a Tuesday and DO own a railcard. Woops. Still compared to all my other choices, it's alot more expensive to come home and I'm pitiful at putting money aside.
Thats what it came up as on NationalRail if I needed to leave tomorrow say. Its more that if I needed to go home urgently (for a family matter) or something had come up unexpectedly that I wanted to go to back home, then it's going to cost a bomb, is my worry. (I am that person that worries about everything, yes).

I am sorry. Provided you leave Bournemouth after 9:45AM tomorrow and when you return you leave New Street on any day within a month after 10:04AM it is still £62.50.

You can get cheaper by booking ahead, but these are the walk up flexible fares.
NationalRail open return for tomorrow and without a rail card.

Even the Queen doesn't buy open returns and always uses her railcard.
NationalRail open return for tomorrow and without a rail card. Which I guess its pretty pointless as just occurred to me I wouldn't be coming home on a Tuesday and DO own a railcard. Woops. Still compared to all my other choices, it's alot more expensive to come home and I'm pitiful at putting money aside.

So you've gone and found the most expensive fare possible, that you're not actually going to use :erm:
Reply 14
Please don't go to Uni to study Events Management.
Reply 15
My daughter got a coach from ringwood, just outside of bournemouth to Birmingham last weekend it cost 13.50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Oh dear.
I legit typed in "Birmingham - Bournemouth, 25th Feb 2014, Return". It selected the first direct train and reeled me back that full price (irl, I would book as far possible, railcard etc, etc, etc, etc, ETC). Not that the reasoning for this thread in the first place was to discuss CrossCountry train fares. Jesus. :s-smilie:
It is quite something to research every uni in the UK, to painstakingly choose 5 courses, apply, get 5 offers, then realise that actually you had no clue what you were doing at all. !!!
Reply 18
Original post by Old_Simon
It is quite something to research every uni in the UK, to painstakingly choose 5 courses, apply, get 5 offers, then realise that actually you had no clue what you were doing at all. !!!

Oh ****, how painfully weird it is that I may have changed my preference out of 5 universities with 3 months still to go before the reply to offers date.
Reply 19
Hopefully you'll know where the venue is before paying the non-refundable deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending