The Student Room Group

Sick and home from uni

Hi all :smile:

I'm a Scandinavian student studying in London. At my uni there are certain rules in regards to absences. You can miss classes in a given subjects about three times, beyond that you need a Doctor's note. This needs to be delivered within 48 hrs and approved.

What makes things more difficult is that if you're more than 10 mins late to class, you're marked absent. While I do understand the importance of being respectful and arrive on time, things do come up. Especially when you're traveling through central London every morning.
I've just moved into a new flat and am still trying to figure out the most effective route to go to school. There are no direct buses not involving a great deal of walking and I have to change tube lines anyway. I live in central London (SW) but today I left my house an hour before the lecture, I was still late.

Anyway...the past week I've been ill. I woke up with heavy fever, going hot and cold. I stayed in a couple of days, just sleeping in lots of clothes and not leaving the house. A day after I thought about going to uni but as I woke up I got extremely dizzy, got heavy nosebleeds and was worried it would happen again at uni. This weekend I've gotten better though.

I had a private GP here but it's quite expensive and I can't keep spending like I have been the past year. I've looking up NHS offices to register with one. Turns out I need to fill out a form, bring my passport and bring a utility bill with my name and address. I haven't been living here that long so I don't have any bills yet.
At some point I need to get to the doctor and hopefully get a note proving I've been ill.

But by the time I get to one I will obviously be healthy..it might take time to get an available appointment as well. I have no idea how I'm supposed to "prove" to the GP that I've been ill the week before. Do people actually manage to get themselves to the GP when they're at their worst simply to get a note for uni? I just stayed in bed because I wanted to get better.
This absence system at uni is completely nazi, but I really want to sort this out.
Original post by Poiuytre
I had a private GP here but it's quite expensive and I can't keep spending like I have been the past year. I've looking up NHS offices to register with one. Turns out I need to fill out a form, bring my passport and bring a utility bill with my name and address. I haven't been living here that long so I don't have any bills yet.
At some point I need to get to the doctor and hopefully get a note proving I've been ill

Speak to your local GP and explain that you haven't got that. They're not going to deny you healthcare for want of a utility bill.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Speak to your local GP and explain that you haven't got that. They're not going to deny you healthcare for want of a utility bill.

I will go by their office. Thing is, I'm curious as to whether I can get a sick not for last week when I'm well now? Anyone have any experience?
I will go by their office. Thing is, I'm curious as to whether I can get a sick not for last week when I'm well now? Anyone have any experience?

All they can really say now is "Poiuytre tells me that she was ill last week" which isn't going to do you much good now tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
All they can really say now is "Poiuytre tells me that she was ill last week" which isn't going to do you much good now tbh.

Makes sense, but still sucks.

I suppose next time I need to get myself to the Dr just to get a note even if I'm better off at home...

When I used my private Dr, he once gave me a note after I got better. I told him I'd had terrible period pains (which I'm prone to, and he knows that as I've asked for special prescriptions before). I told him I'd been home the previous week for a couple of days and he gave me a note for it.

Are private GPs really a lot easier to deal with in this manner?
Makes sense, but still sucks.

I suppose next time I need to get myself to the Dr just to get a note even if I'm better off at home...

When I used my private Dr, he once gave me a note after I got better. I told him I'd had terrible period pains (which I'm prone to, and he knows that as I've asked for special prescriptions before). I told him I'd been home the previous week for a couple of days and he gave me a note for it.

Are private GPs really a lot easier to deal with in this manner?

To be honest I've never had a private GP. I don't know anyone who does TBH - the NHS is always more than adequate, and if you needed a referral to the hospital or anything you'd probably need to see an NHS GP anyway, plus there's almost a bit of a stigma attached to going private ("I've got health insurance through work, but should I really use it?" - people say this sort of thing in almost hushed tones).
Reply 6
You can always milk your symptoms and pretend you're still ill this week. GPs probably get loads of students who they know are exagerrating or completely making stuff up, but they can call you a liar or say that you're ill.
Reply 7
I hope you get better.
Private GPs tend to be more amenable, as you are paying them. However, they shouldn't really give you a sick note if they haven't seen your symptoms.

However, it sounds like this is just a part of your problem. Travelling through central London is difficult and expensive, and it doesn't sound like your accomadation is ideal. I think it would be a good idea to talk to your personal tutor about all of your issues, and explain why there have been problems with your attendance. They will want to be suportive, and help you attend as much as possible.

Is there any way you can move closer to your uni? I think you will definately need to do so for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending