The Student Room Group

Do I take the PGCE option for my SD year?

Oh hi,

I have an offer from a good school for a School Direct place for Secondary English. It's guaranteed QTS of course, but has the opportunity to include PGCE. I was initially only looking at PGCE options and applied to this school with the intention to include PGCE. However, now I know that it is still optional, I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth it and whether I will appreciate the QTS alone. My mixed feeling points are...

£800 more - not really an issue when I thought it would be the £9k anyway, and it isn't 'much' in the long run.

I know this is going to be really, really stressful year. Whilst I'm great with assignments, and know that's largely what the addition of PGCE will add to my course, I'm also reluctant to make the year harder for myself. I'm capable academically etc but I'm still somewhat rubbish with time management, as I've never had to learn how to do it well - i.e always done just fine floating through on my own guidelines haha. I understand that won't be applicable for this course and that it will be very difficult. So despite my ease with assignments and essays in general, should I bother adding that weight to it all? I have a partner and will be spending weekends, at least one day of them, with him where I can. I don't want to put extra strain on what already will be a bit of a difficult year for our relationship.

I feel as though PGCE is something that may not be as important as we initially feel coming into the teacher training process. Maybe for someone with little standing it would be good to do, but I am aware that this is a very good selective girl's academy I will be training in, with the 'possibility' of an NQT year there afterwards, and as such I am quite optimistic about having support following the year - possibly making relying on ticking the 'PGCE' box a little less important?

But it would just be good to do - to get it done, why not? I'm certain that if I did it, it wouldn't be the ruling reason for my stress, it would just add to it. I'm also confident that I would just 'get on with it'.

Sorry if it's all a bit rambly, helps to write out my thoughts as well.

I'd just like to know - existing teachers, how important is this status?
Do you think it will be phased out or become less valuable/employers will look for it less within the next couple of years?
What are your experiences on SD courses with PGCE additions?
Would you take it, if you were me?
Thank you! (:
Reply 1
:colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by awe
Oh hi,

I have an offer from a good school for a School Direct place for Secondary English. It's guaranteed QTS of course, but has the opportunity to include PGCE. I was initially only looking at PGCE options and applied to this school with the intention to include PGCE. However, now I know that it is still optional, I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth it and whether I will appreciate the QTS alone. My mixed feeling points are...

£800 more - not really an issue when I thought it would be the £9k anyway, and it isn't 'much' in the long run.

I know this is going to be really, really stressful year. Whilst I'm great with assignments, and know that's largely what the addition of PGCE will add to my course, I'm also reluctant to make the year harder for myself. I'm capable academically etc but I'm still somewhat rubbish with time management, as I've never had to learn how to do it well - i.e always done just fine floating through on my own guidelines haha. I understand that won't be applicable for this course and that it will be very difficult. So despite my ease with assignments and essays in general, should I bother adding that weight to it all? I have a partner and will be spending weekends, at least one day of them, with him where I can. I don't want to put extra strain on what already will be a bit of a difficult year for our relationship.

I feel as though PGCE is something that may not be as important as we initially feel coming into the teacher training process. Maybe for someone with little standing it would be good to do, but I am aware that this is a very good selective girl's academy I will be training in, with the 'possibility' of an NQT year there afterwards, and as such I am quite optimistic about having support following the year - possibly making relying on ticking the 'PGCE' box a little less important?

But it would just be good to do - to get it done, why not? I'm certain that if I did it, it wouldn't be the ruling reason for my stress, it would just add to it. I'm also confident that I would just 'get on with it'.

Sorry if it's all a bit rambly, helps to write out my thoughts as well.

I'd just like to know - existing teachers, how important is this status?
Do you think it will be phased out or become less valuable/employers will look for it less within the next couple of years?
What are your experiences on SD courses with PGCE additions?
Would you take it, if you were me?
Thank you! (:

I would definitely do the PGCE. It is not going to become phased out or less valuable. If you want to work abroad you will definitely need it. We were told today on one of our study days that if a school has to choose between two similar candidates and one has QTS and the other QTS with PGCE they will go for the latter (and they have had experiences of that happen to students).
In my experience, the assignments you have to do aren't extremely time-consuming, although the timing of deadlines can be inconvinent. It's never taken me more than a night or two to write one of the essays. They are also very useful in terms of researching and exploring pedagogy and reflecting on your own teaching practice.
I'm currently doing SD with a PGCE if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by Shelly_x
I would definitely do the PGCE. It is not going to become phased out or less valuable. If you want to work abroad you will definitely need it. We were told today on one of our study days that if a school has to choose between two similar candidates and one has QTS and the other QTS with PGCE they will go for the latter (and they have had experiences of that happen to students).
In my experience, the assignments you have to do aren't extremely time-consuming, although the timing of deadlines can be inconvinent. It's never taken me more than a night or two to write one of the essays. They are also very useful in terms of researching and exploring pedagogy and reflecting on your own teaching practice.

Thank you for responding, Shelly!

That's what I needed to hear, really. I just couldn't seem to find any genuine current opinion on the PGCE status and whether or not it was truly desired or just a 'tick' in a box. So I appreciate the advice - I think I will take it with the PGCE option and just knuckle down and sort myself out time-management wise... I will definitely enjoy the reflective side.

I would love to hear anything and everything about your experiences, to be honest! But I might have a few specific questions as well, I may PM you later in the week with those if that is alright... I don't have too many connections to people actually on an SD course at the moment, just plenty going into it alongside me, so it would be much appreciated. Thanks again. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by awe
Thank you for responding, Shelly!

That's what I needed to hear, really. I just couldn't seem to find any genuine current opinion on the PGCE status and whether or not it was truly desired or just a 'tick' in a box. So I appreciate the advice - I think I will take it with the PGCE option and just knuckle down and sort myself out time-management wise... I will definitely enjoy the reflective side.

I would love to hear anything and everything about your experiences, to be honest! But I might have a few specific questions as well, I may PM you later in the week with those if that is alright... I don't have too many connections to people actually on an SD course at the moment, just plenty going into it alongside me, so it would be much appreciated. Thanks again. :smile:

Feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 5

I thought only QTS was needed for working abroad.
Reply 6
Feel free to PM me :smile:

Would be nice to share with the rest of us. As long as it is not a personal matter and you don't mind of course.
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
I thought only QTS was needed for working abroad.

No a PGCE is routinely asked for abroad. Especially in countries such as Dubai.

Would be nice to share with the rest of us. As long as it is not a personal matter and you don't mind of course.

Well, I said to PM me because they said they wanted to ask me specific questions through PM :wink: You are welcome to ask me any questions about the course you wish to of course :smile:
Reply 8
You will need PGCE to teach abroad. In fact, you will even need a PGCE to teach in Scotland. But if you are confident you are only going to be teaching in England then it is a nice to have rather than a necessary.
Reply 9
can I wade in and say I agree - but also to say take the opportunity while you have it - you won't be able to go back and do it later.
If you take the PGCE option and don't succeed or have to drop it due to work load then that is different, but to not take it and potentially regret it would be (in my opinion) a shame.
Good Luck!
Reply 10
Oops, never think to check threads without being quoted. P:

Hmm? Is this for me? They aren't really personal issues, but I don't feel some of the questions I may ask Shelly (when I get a moment) will warrant a thread, they'll just be personal worries and 'how does this/that work' questions quite specific to my/her situation. I'm not against sharing it at all, but not sure it will be very interesting and I prefer communicating with one individual person via pm than on the boards.

Original post by freida20
can I wade in and say I agree - but also to say take the opportunity while you have it - you won't be able to go back and do it later.
If you take the PGCE option and don't succeed or have to drop it due to work load then that is different, but to not take it and potentially regret it would be (in my opinion) a shame.
Good Luck!

Yes - agreed, I'm sure it would be possible to 'drop' it, but I couldn't pick it up halfway. (:: Thank you for your response and for the luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending