The Student Room Group

Brackett Series - Excel sheet

I want to produce a simple Excel sheet to calculate the wavelengths of H atom transitions and calculate, in nm, the first 4 lines of the Brackett series.

Would anyone know what is wrong with the Excel sheet I have attached?
Original post by little pixie
I want to produce a simple Excel sheet to calculate the wavelengths of H atom transitions and calculate, in nm, the first 4 lines of the Brackett series.

Would anyone know what is wrong with the Excel sheet I have attached?

Why hello there again! It seems to be the same problem as last time, absolute and relative cell referencing, some nasty jargon, let me make it clear, you are referencing R and N like they are variables declared on your worksheet and have some sort of attached values to them, you need to edit the formulas that calculate your equation by explicitly replacing N and R with the appropriate cell grid reference as stated by the grid top and left, e.g. the first cell on any new worksheet is A1 and if it contained the value for N or R you would put A1 into the formula NOT N or R. Does that make sense? It seems to work for me whenever I change your formulas or is there something else you're looking for?
Ok, definitively, your problem lies with n not n0, you have a list of numbers under n0 but those are not being referenced. Anyhow, here's a version which has all of your variables fixed, as well as n which is stored as a list in the Name Manager. I don't know where n0 and n should be though, so just rejig it and you should be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending