The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra 2014 - FAQ **here**

The UCAS Extra FAQ for 2015 is here.

What is Extra?

The Extra application route is for people who have either received no offers or have declined the ones they did get, and who have no choices left to use. See UCAS Extra and the TSR Wiki.

How does it work?
From 25 February until 2 July, the UCAS course listings will show which universities/courses are still accepting applications. Your Track screen will show whether you are eligible to use Extra. If you are, you will be able to make a further choice up until 2 July. However, you should always check with the uni first to make sure the listing is correct, and also whether they will accept a revised PS/updated predictions etc, particularly important if you are applying for a different course from your original choices. After 2 July the course listings still show which unis were still in Extra at that point but no more applications can be submitted through that route.

How do I find out what's in Extra?
Go to UCAS Course Search, complete the boxes as appropriate, and choose "show courses in Extra" from the menu on the left hand side. If you want to narrow your search right down, you can use a course code rather title in the 'course' box.

Sometimes it seems from the UCAS listings that a uni will accept a new application, but won't consider someone applying through the Extra route. If in doubt, ring and check. Unis can close a course at any time, but presumably can also 're-open' it, for example if more people than they expect decline offers already issued. There's nothing to stop you from ringing a uni to check whether this could happen for a particular course, but use your common sense. The 'closed' status clearly isn't going to change at LSE for economics :smile:. **the listings in the first day or two of Extra in particular can be very inaccurate, so don't take anything you see at face value**

Anyone can check the Extra listings; you do not have to be eligible to apply through Extra to be able to see what's there.

Do unis lower the entry requirements for courses in Extra?
No. In general, universities do not lower entry requirements until Clearing, and not necessarily then. At this (Extra) stage, universities are still looking to fill vacancies with candidates who meet their stated requirements. After all, universities asking high grades do so because they reckon they can get enough people to fill their course/s without having to compromise.

Bear in mind that entry requirements do change from year to year, and also there are sometimes differences between what is on UCAS and what is shown on the uni website. It is generally safer to assume whichever is the higher requirement is the correct one, but ring or email the uni and check if in doubt.

How long does it take to get a reply to an Extra choice?
This varies, but if you do not hear within 21 days you can withdraw and make another choice. Before you do this, though, it is reasonable to ring the uni and ask what's happening. An offer might be in the pipeline! Easter and other holidays can delay decisions, so don't assume that no news is a bad thing.

How do I choose which course to apply for?
In the same way as you did with your first round of choices. Check out the How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections thread. Be flexible and realistic. Remember too that the uni/s you apply to through Extra will be able to see details of your original course and uni choices, as well as your original personal statement.

The course I want to apply for isn't being offered through Extra
Assuming we aren't talking about, for instance, history at Durham, or any course at Oxford or Cambridge, you can try contacting the university in question to see whether they would be interested in an application from you. If they are, the uni can instruct UCAS to open the course in Extra, so that you can enter them as your Extra choice - but only the uni can do this, not UCAS. Do remember that a uni agreeing to consider you as an Extra applicant does not guarantee you an offer.

Should I decline all my offers and go through Extra?
Only if you (a) are very sure that you don't want to take up any of the offers you have and (b) have spoken to the uni/s you have it in mind to apply to through Extra about whether they will consider your application. Declining offers you already have can be a high risk strategy, even if you are predicted ABB or better, and is one to be pursued only if you have carefully considered every other option (for example, asking unis that have made you offers if they will consider you for alternative courses). Remember that you do not have an insurance option if you are an Extra applicant.

Can I use Extra if I've changed my mind about my firm/insurance?
See Changing Your Mind for more information about this. Essentially you need to persuade your firm/insurance to reject you (if your offer is conditional). If you have accepted an unconditional offer, the chances are that you will only be able to negotiate a release into Clearing (the uni can't reject you as there were no conditions to be met).

Since the UCAS site was updated, I have been unable to track down this extract from the 2013 UCAS FAQs, so it may not still be current - certainly worth checking out, though, if this is your situation:

2013 from the UCAS FAQ in
Q:I have accepted an offer - can I still use Extra?

A: If you've already accepted an offer, you're not eligible to use Extra. However, it might be possible to decline the offer you have accepted, which would make you eligible.

If you accepted the offer in the last 7 days, contact our Customer Service Unit and one of our advisers can make the change for you. Once all of your offers are declined, you can use Extra.

If you accepted the offer more than 7 days ago, you can only decline the offer with permission from the relevant university. You'll need to contact us first to confirm this is what you'd like to do. You'll then need to contact the universities you have accepted offers with, ask them if you can decline the offer, and ask the university to call us to confirm they are happy for these changes to be made. We can then decline your offers with their permission.

Once all offers are declined and if Extra is still available, you can apply to another choice.

I am a late applicant/have unused choices
The Extra listings are important because they give you a guide as to which unis are still taking applications, but your application does not go through the Extra route itself.

I want to change my Extra choice
You will only be able to change your Extra choice after 21 days from when you made it; you cannot change it sooner.

My Extra choice rejected me
If this happens before 2 July, your Track should show that you can now enter a further Extra choice if you want to. You can wait for Clearing if you prefer.

Can I apply again through Extra to a uni that rejected me?
There's no point in doing so if it's for the same course, and probably not much point for another. Unis will quite often automatically consider you for alternative, related, courses anyway, and if they haven't your chances will be very small. If you wanted to apply for something quite different it might be worth a try but speak to them first (as above).

What about Clearing?
New applications made after 30 June are held over until Clearing; Extra applicants have up until 2 July to make an Extra choice. After that date, all applications are held over until Clearing - you will not be able to enter a choice on your Track.

Other resources:
UCAS Apply 2014 FAQ
Changing your Mind
How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes - can you assume that if the university you have applied to have vacancies in extra for the course you applied for but you haven't received an offer that youre not going to get an offer from them? Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Bluebex00
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes - can you assume that if the university you have applied to have vacancies in extra for the course you applied for but you haven't received an offer that youre not going to get an offer from them? Thanks.
No, not at all. First of all, at this stage the listing that the uni/course in question is in Extra may be wrong. Secondly, even if it's right, it doesn't mean that any applications they've already received are by definition going to be unsuccessful. Unis have a pretty good idea of how many offers they want to make for a given course, because they use data from previous years to work out how many people who've received offers will actually choose them as a firm or insurance. They also have a pretty good idea of how many people who've made them their firm or insurance will in fact end up enrolling at the university. A uni that places a course in Extra might be looking to make only a few more offers. So don't worry :smile:
Cambridge University seems to have lots of courses in Extra, is this a mistake?
For example, Maths is there, but only for three colleges.
EDIT: I realise these are only colleges who admit mature students
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it logical to assume that if a university has Extra for particular course then it did not find enough people who met their requirements? Wouldn't that mean that a course that has Extra is not that good or popular as a course that does not have Extra?
Reply 5
If I have 4 rejections so far and my final uni hasn't responded yet would I be eligible to enter ucas extra if I were to withdraw my application from that final university before it has made a decision?
Reply 6
Original post by jadoreétudier
Cambridge University seems to have lots of courses in Extra, is this a mistake?
For example, Maths is there, but only for three colleges.
EDIT: I realise these are only colleges who admit mature students
Yes.

Original post by aleksanndar1995
Is it logical to assume that if a university has Extra for particular course then it did not find enough people who met their requirements? Wouldn't that mean that a course that has Extra is not that good or popular as a course that does not have Extra?
Not at all.

Original post by LDN95
If I have 4 rejections so far and my final uni hasn't responded yet would I be eligible to enter ucas extra if I were to withdraw my application from that final university before it has made a decision?
Yes. If there is something else you really fancy in Extra now (you need to check directly with the uni to be sure!) it might be worth doing this. If you are still hoping that your fifth choice will make you an offer, you'd be better off waiting to see what happens.
Reply 7
Thank you for the thread! I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking?

1) I rang up the university and they said I could submit an additional personal statement. Do I submit it before or after I have officially applied for the subject on track extra?

2) In the personal statement, should I mention my reasons for switching subjects (I applied for a different course at different universities).

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by speedstreak
Thank you for the thread! I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking?

1) I rang up the university and they said I could submit an additional personal statement. Do I submit it before or after I have officially applied for the subject on track extra?

2) In the personal statement, should I mention my reasons for switching subjects (I applied for a different course at different universities).

Thank you in advance :smile:
I'd suggesting sending it (make sure you have a specific email address to send it to) immediately after you've entered your choice on Track.

As to whether you should mention your reasons for changing subjects, it rather depends on what they were. Whatever you do, you need to make it clear that the new choice is a positive one.

As in - you could say "I've realised since I submitted my original application that what I'm really interested in is xxxxx because yyyy" but not "I got a full house of rejections for my original course choice so thought I might have better luck with this one".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I've had three offers so far, haven't heard back from 2 unis. Am I eligible to enter Extra? (I don't really fancy one of my offers). Now if I use Extra, what will happen with my 4 other choices?
Reply 10
Original post by Pulkkk
I've had three offers so far, haven't heard back from 2 unis. Am I eligible to enter Extra? (I don't really fancy one of my offers). Now if I use Extra, what will happen with my 4 other choices?

No, you can't use Extra if you already hold any offers. You would have to decline them all and withdraw the pending choices. Read the original post.
Reply 11
Original post by ddrahnak

Original post by Pulkkk
As ddrahnak said, the answers to your questions are in the first post of this thread.
Reply 12
All,

I have not applied to any university as of yet mainly as I was unsure if the other course I wanted to go was going ahead in a local college - is extra the only option for me now ?
Reply 13
Original post by Matthew_C
All,

I have not applied to any university as of yet mainly as I was unsure if the other course I wanted to go was going ahead in a local college - is extra the only option for me now ?
No, you just make a late application in the normal way. Late applications will be of interest.
Reply 14
Many Thanks for the reply, I note that the course I am looking to go on is listed on the UCAS extra list so am hopeful I can get on the course !

Cheers

Matt
Reply 15
Hey, i have 3 conditional offers and am still waiting on 2 more. I was wondering if i decline the 2 offers i'm waiting on can i then apply to a different one through extra? or would i have to decline all of them to be able to do that? thanks :smile:
Does anyone know if you get a confirmation e-mail once the university has received your UCAS Extra application?
Reply 17
Original post by sophielaur
Hey, i have 3 conditional offers and am still waiting on 2 more. I was wondering if i decline the 2 offers i'm waiting on can i then apply to a different one through extra? or would i have to decline all of them to be able to do that? thanks :smile:
You should read the first post in this thread, which explains that you'll need to withdraw from the two choices you don't have decisions for, and decline the other offers, before you can be eligible for Extra. This is not a decision to take lightly.

Original post by speedstreak
Does anyone know if you get a confirmation e-mail once the university has received your UCAS Extra application?
You may do, and then you may not. Universities vary in their practice. If your Track shows that your application has been sent to the university, all is well.
Reply 18
Hiya,

I originally applied for 3 Neuroscience courses, 1 biological sciences and 1 biomedical science as my 5 choices. My personal statement was based on neuroscience and I got conditional offers for all 5 choices.

However, the results of my January resits were disappointing and I realised that I had aimed too highly with the unis I had applied for (mostly AAB requirements). I withdrew from all of my choices and applied for UWE Bristol through extra, for Biomedical Science.

My question is - do I need to send a new biomed personal statement or will my neuroscience PS suffice? I am confused as most internet guides about extra state that you should make a new PS if you are applying for a different course than you did originally. But one of my original 5 choices was Biomedical Science at Surrey and they gave me an offer despite the fact my PS was based on neuroscience. So surely UWE should be similar?
Reply 19
Original post by clefairy
Hiya,

I originally applied for 3 Neuroscience courses, 1 biological sciences and 1 biomedical science as my 5 choices. My personal statement was based on neuroscience and I got conditional offers for all 5 choices.

However, the results of my January resits were disappointing and I realised that I had aimed too highly with the unis I had applied for (mostly AAB requirements). I withdrew from all of my choices and applied for UWE Bristol through extra, for Biomedical Science.

My question is - do I need to send a new biomed personal statement or will my neuroscience PS suffice? I am confused as most internet guides about extra state that you should make a new PS if you are applying for a different course than you did originally. But one of my original 5 choices was Biomedical Science at Surrey and they gave me an offer despite the fact my PS was based on neuroscience. So surely UWE should be similar?
Not necessarily - it might be a good idea to ring UWE and ask if they would like an updated PS.

Latest

Trending

Trending