The Student Room Group

Bullied by my manager, too depressed to continue

My manager in retail operates a suck up culture, which I don't agree with on principle. However, he also spreads nasty rumours about me being gay/a paedo etc, which when i found out was the beginning of the end for us both.

Because I don't suck up, it means I don't "earn" any favours from him, so when I ask for a favour like dropping a shift because it clashes with another job I have, I get told that it isn't possible and advised to hand my notice in if I don't like it. :rolleyes:

It is not possible to complain above my manager as the deputy manager and the store manager are just as bad. The whole supermarket is basically a big bullying culture, with me being bottom of the food chain.

Since I found out my manager was spreading lies to other colleagues, part of me died. :frown: By the end of that year I was on anti-depressants. :frown: I think the man is a disgrace to the uniform and there is no chance of reconciliation with him because I am too dignified.

Because of the manager's attitude towards me, it has turned everyone else against me who now know me as "weak" and "dead wood" because they realise that if he doesn't like me then I may as well not be there anyway. The whole situation is hopeless.

I think I am finally on the verge on the giving up my job. I cannot go 5 minutes without getting depressed when I think of how much I am bullied. However, I need the money and I don't have much chance of getting another job really, not any time soon, anyway. :frown:

But I think enough is enough. A man has his limits.

However, do you think there is anything I can do to finally make that scummy manager of mine get his comeuppance? Is there anyone else I can complain to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Get evidence of him doing this stuff and report it to the Police. It's an offence.
Reply 2
Grievance with HR at head office should do it, gather evidence, don't believe the media hype about not ever being able to get a job
Original post by ryan9900
Get evidence of him doing this stuff and report it to the Police. It's an offence.

But what evidence can I obtain? Nobody will vouch for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
But what evidence can I obtain? Nobody will vouch for me.

Find a way to record it or something. Sounds hard, I know, but if you want to do something about this then it sounds like you need to put a bit of effort in to help yourself. Good luck.
Very upset that this thread has been ignored. :frown: I needed some advice and I may as well just Google. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
You've posted about this a few times. Why are you still working there if it's that bad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending