The Student Room Group

PGCE with an Oxford 2.2?

Hi,
I'm studying english at Oxford and I'm on track for a 2.2. I know that the Government wants new teachers to have 2.1s, but my degree will be from oxford, without sounding arrogant.

Do I have a decent chance of getting onto a PGCE? I have a reasonable amount of work experience...

Any replies would be massively appreciated, I'm feeling so worried

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Firefox101
Hi,
I'm studying english at Oxford and I'm on track for a 2.2. I know that the Government wants new teachers to have 2.1s, but my degree will be from oxford, without sounding arrogant.

Do I have a decent chance of getting onto a PGCE? I have a reasonable amount of work experience...

Are you looking to teach English in a secondary school or do a Primary PGCE? I'm under the impression that whilst 2:1s are desirable, you can still get on to a course with a 2:2 although it will be a lot tougher as you'll be competing with people who have first class degrees or 2:1s.

Whether or not your 2:2 is from Oxford is neither here nor there, it's still a 2:2. One might question why you're only getting a 2:2 when I assume you must have had exceptional grades at A-Level to get into Oxford?
Your degree being from Oxford is not an excuse for having a lower honours classification. Oxford has one of the highest 2:1 or above proportion in whole of Britain, if not the world.

But 2:2 is sufficient for most teaching programmes.
Original post by bellylaugh
Are you looking to teach English in a secondary school or do a Primary PGCE? I'm under the impression that whilst 2:1s are desirable, you can still get on to a course with a 2:2 although it will be a lot tougher as you'll be competing with people who have first class degrees or 2:1s.

Whether or not your 2:2 is from Oxford is neither here nor there, it's still a 2:2. One might question why you're only getting a 2:2 when I assume you must have had exceptional grades at A-Level to get into Oxford?

Yeah. Unless someone really cares about school-leaving results, one can only assume that this person has regressed regarding his or her academic performance/ability.
It's a sad day when someone thinks a 2:2 from Oxford isn't good enough.

There are unis that accept 2:2 for pgce. Look at course entry requirements. Keep your application strong by spending some time in schools.
Reply 5
Original post by laurakate1988
It's a sad day when someone thinks a 2:2 from Oxford isn't good enough.

There are unis that accept 2:2 for pgce. Look at course entry requirements. Keep your application strong by spending some time in schools.

Why is it a sad day? Whether or not it's from Oxford, a 2:2 is still a 2:2 and not a particularly good classification of degree. If Gove has his way, all teachers will need at least a 2:1 to teach in future so the fact that you've been to Oxford is irrelevant if you're not up to that standard.
Why is it a sad day? Whether or not it's from Oxford, a 2:2 is still a 2:2 and not a particularly good classification of degree. If Gove has his way, all teachers will need at least a 2:1 to teach in future so the fact that you've been to Oxford is irrelevant if you're not up to that standard.

If Gove had his way, all out kids would be in school 7-7, teachers would all be on NMW but produce brilliant work and love their jobs, and every kid would love school.

A Degree is a degree, and if anyone every says that your 2:2 is a failure, tell them to "go fornicate with oneself"
Reply 7
Original post by MrMSutcliffe
If Gove had his way, all out kids would be in school 7-7, teachers would all be on NMW but produce brilliant work and love their jobs, and every kid would love school.

A Degree is a degree, and if anyone every says that your 2:2 is a failure, tell them to "go fornicate with oneself"

I'm not saying a 2:2 is a failure, I'm simply pointing out that the OP will be in competition with people who have first class degrees or 2:1s. Primary teacher training positions, and secondary English are both very competitive courses and so a 2:2 (whether from Oxford or not) might not be good enough.

I don't care which University's it from! It just makes me sad that people talk about anything less than a 2:1 as if it's some massive failure. I dunno, like I feel it overlooks the fact that someone completed a degree and committed to it and worked hard in the process of that (regardless of what the piece of paper said at the end).... That's not me attacking you because the fact is that it's all about having a competitive edge so I can see where you're coming from because it's a competitive world out there but on the other hand it just makes me sad that people feel down about getting less than a 2:1 when I think they should feel proud.

I got a 2:2 in my degree but I hope I don't end up feeling regretful or worried about it. I did an MA after that and am hopefully going to undertake an MSc (or some of it!) in September. I am hoping to get some more experience observing in a school and I have been working in a different industry since finishing Uni in 2010. My point is that I would hope that anywhere that offers teaching training and/or teaching jobs would look at the whole person rather than just their grade in their degree in terms of their other experience and how well they come across as a person and their reasons for wanting to go into teaching. I think if we start to say "2:1 or go home" then it will eliminate a lot of people with excellent potential from being teachers.

If this Gove bloke actually does set it up to be a case of 2:1 or go home then that'll be me out of the running but so far I am hopefully because currently a lot of PGCEs appear to have open minded entry requirements at the moment (I want to do a food tech PGCE so fingers crossed based on what I've read on the University entry requirements for their courses!).
Reply 9
I don't care which University's it from! It just makes me sad that people talk about anything less than a 2:1 as if it's some massive failure. I dunno, like I feel it overlooks the fact that someone completed a degree and committed to it and worked hard in the process of that (regardless of what the piece of paper said at the end).... That's not me attacking you because the fact is that it's all about having a competitive edge so I can see where you're coming from because it's a competitive world out there but on the other hand it just makes me sad that people feel down about getting less than a 2:1 when I think they should feel proud.

I got a 2:2 in my degree but I hope I don't end up feeling regretful or worried about it. I did an MA after that and am hopefully going to undertake an MSc (or some of it!) in September. I am hoping to get some more experience observing in a school and I have been working in a different industry since finishing Uni in 2010. My point is that I would hope that anywhere that offers teaching training and/or teaching jobs would look at the whole person rather than just their grade in their degree in terms of their other experience and how well they come across as a person and their reasons for wanting to go into teaching. I think if we start to say "2:1 or go home" then it will eliminate a lot of people with excellent potential from being teachers.

If this Gove bloke actually does set it up to be a case of 2:1 or go home then that'll be me out of the running but so far I am hopefully because currently a lot of PGCEs appear to have open minded entry requirements at the moment (I want to do a food tech PGCE so fingers crossed based on what I've read on the University entry requirements for their courses!).

I'm not saying that people with a 2:2 shouldn't be considered for a teacher training course, merely that a 2:2 from Oxford is no better (or worse) than a 2:2 from anywhere else. You'll still have to compete with people with better academic qualifications for your place.

I don't care! It just makes me sad that people talk about anything less than a university degree as if it's some massive failure. I dunno, like I feel it overlooks the fact that someone completed high school and committed to it and worked hard in the process of that (regardless of what the piece of paper said at the end).... That's not me attacking you because the fact is that it's all about having a competitive edge so I can see where you're coming from because it's a competitive world out there but on the other hand it just makes me sad that people feel down about getting less than a degree when I think they should feel proud.
I agree with you there. I don't know if some unis mark their work more strictly than others but having done my first degree at a Russel group and my second at an ex poly, I found them equally challenging and the education to be of equally good quality so I agree that a degree is valuable no matter who it's from.

I'm not saying that people with a 2:2 shouldn't be considered for a teacher training course, merely that a 2:2 from Oxford is no better (or worse) than a 2:2 from anywhere else. You'll still have to compete with people with better academic qualifications for your place.
You go for it OP. There are teaching courses that will accept you and if you've got the work experience you'll be all the better for it :smile:

Hi,

Reply 13
Thanks for your replies everyone. Just to emphasize I'm not trying to say that I'm superior because I'm at Oxford!

I'm hoping to do secondary english, ideally in London although I know that that's one of the most competitive areas.

Thanks again everyone!
Thanks for your replies everyone. Just to emphasize I'm not trying to say that I'm superior because I'm at Oxford!

I'm hoping to do secondary english, ideally in London although I know that that's one of the most competitive areas.

Thanks again everyone!

London as in for study or employment?

I don't think you can say it's really that competitive because at the same time they have a higher supply.

Institute of Education, University of London is the No 1 education institution in the world but I think most, if not all, of their programmes accept students with 2:2. In fact, their condition for their offer made to me was only to graduate, did not even need any honours. Though that's for an MA and I will already have a BEd. The offer Oxford and Edinburgh (MScs) made set it at a 2:1.
Reply 15
I got a place to study my PGCE at the UEA this September with a 3rd (which I worked incredibly hard for).

To the OP: if you want it, then go for it! Have faith in yourself and remember why you want to teach and what is driving you to do it.

xx
Reply 16
Why assume mitigating circumstances? I am incredibly proud of my degree and rightly should be. I did not achieve A-levels due to illness but pushed myself to gain my degree and push myself further.
I am doing secondary maths and studied maths for my degree. Please don't say I only got on because there isdemand.
Reply 17
Haha, sorry. I find I have to defend my degree somewhat.

The whole thing is so tricky, but different providers take different attitudes. Anglia Ruskin rejected me as soon as they received my application. I applied to UEA not thinking I would get an interview but I did, and got it :smile: Also had a SD interview but withdrew after my UEA offer. Definitely look closely at the course entry requirements and, if in doubt, speak to someone in the university admissions office - they will be able to tell you how they are on taking applicants with a 2:2 or lower.

Having strong references is very important too; people who can back up work ethic/experience/ability in the classroom.

I think if someone really wants to teach then that, as well as their abilities, will shine through. Some universities do recognise that degree class doesn't necessarily reflect teaching ability.

To the OP: if you want to teach then, like I said before, go for it!
Original post by LJTravers
I got a place to study my PGCE at the UEA this September with a 3rd (which I worked incredibly hard for).

To the OP: if you want it, then go for it! Have faith in yourself and remember why you want to teach and what is driving you to do it.

xx

Got offered a place with a 3rd as well. I am doing secondary MFL
Original post by Invictus1991
Yeah but a 2.2 from Oxford is probably worth a very high 2.1 or 1st from London Metropolitan University. I disagree that universities mark similarly.

Don't be absurd. If there is no standardisation of marking and classification in universities then what is the point of giving a grade at all?

Also, I'm quite amazed that people are getting offers to start teacher training courses with a third class degree?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending