The Student Room Group

Now Muslims want Katy Perry music video banned

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by felamaslen
It might stem from the fact that people have received death threats in the UK for "insulting Islam", since 1989 with Salman Rushdie, whereas people stopped taking "blasphemy" against Christianity seriously a long, long time ago.

Understood, but the media knows what sells. That's all its for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Alhan
Hmmm....let's see.. 'slams homosexuals and non muslims, causing deaths and abuse of innocents'. I'd just like to to ask whether you have actually studied the Quran or have come up with the bull**** merely because you are genuinely stupid. Firstly, passages in the quran could be interpreted differently and one must consider the time of which the quran was written and the events at the time.
'Music video unintentionally burns a name' ... 'UNINTENTIONALLY' .please. stop. that's the silliest things to say. That's all.

You know about Sodom right? It was pretty clear that it was destroyed because the people refused to give up homosexuality.

Then we have things like: "Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to." (Referring to homosexuals)

And you've got the majority of Islamic nations making homosexual acts illegal and punishable by death.

Meanwhile, the situation doesn't look good for the non-Muslims:

"Fight them (the disbelievers), Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and give you victory over them and He will heal the hearts of those who believe." (Qur'an 9:14).

Just saying, Islam is pretty backward. :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by serebro
You know about Sodom right? It was pretty clear that it was destroyed because the people refused to give up homosexuality.

Then we have things like: "Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to." (Referring to homosexuals)

And you've got the majority of Islamic nations making homosexual acts illegal and punishable by death.

"Fight them (the disbelievers), Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and give you victory over them and He will heal the hearts of those who believe." (Qur'an 9:14).

Wow. Taking a Qur'anic verse out of context. The translation is also imperfect as it cannot express the depth of meaning in the actual Arabic. Do you know why the verse was revealed? It refers to the Makkans who had tortured the early Muslims and driven them out of their homes only to try and kill them in their new found refuge. So defending yourself against such people is backward ? It is specifically referring to combatants as well.

The thing about homosexuality being punishable by death is dubious as well. There are scholars who argue that the death sentence should be handed out for homosexuality, but even then there are extremely stringent conditions which must be met in order for a person to be executed (4 reliable adult witnesses who saw the act at the same time ) meaning that an execution is extremely unlikely. What normally happens is the person suspected of committing homosexuality is counseled.

Anyway, you seem to be pretty biased as Judaism and Christianity also prescribe death for sodomy (in Leviticus and the New Testament).
Reply 83
Original post by muwahid
Wow. Taking a Qur'anic verse out of context. The translation is also imperfect as it cannot express the depth of meaning in the actual Arabic. Do you know why the verse was revealed? It refers to the Makkans who had tortured the early Muslims and driven them out of their homes only to try and kill them in their new found refuge. So defending yourself against such people is backward ? It is specifically referring to combatants as well.

The thing about homosexuality being punishable by death is dubious as well. There are scholars who argue that the death sentence should be handed out for homosexuality, but even then there are extremely stringent conditions which must be met in order for a person to be executed (4 reliable adult witnesses who saw the act at the same time ) meaning that an execution is extremely unlikely. What normally happens is the person suspected of committing homosexuality is counseled.

Anyway, you seem to be pretty biased as Judaism and Christianity also prescribe death for sodomy (in Leviticus and the New Testament).

I'm not going to post anymore on this but...

The problem is that most of these Muslims and Islamic nations do not see it the way you are describing it. They refer to the Quran in an absolute manner. Besides, Islam promotes peace and only acting in defence. So cutting off hands is hardly a reasonable way to approach peace. Should it not be Allah himself who punishes the aggressors? If he was loving, he would not truly agree with this.

Why should a homosexual need counselling? They are just as normal as anybody else. If they want sex with the same gender, a book shouldn't stop them from doing that.

Other Abrahamic religions are not the point of discussion. Katy Perry's video did not burn a crucifix or a star of David, hence the title. Nowadays, Christians and Jews are less particular about their religion.
Reply 84
For those "Kafirs" attacking those who dare to speak out about the actions of Muslims, let me remind you that the Qur'an teaches that all who don't follow the faith deserve eternal torture in Hell, and that is totally right and just.

"Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment." - Surah 4:56

Unlike Christianity, even moderate Muslims cling to the above. Homosexuality is also strongly condemned. Modern science is rejected (such as evolution) even among moderate Muslims, again unlike Christianity. The Qur'an also contains many passages inciting violence against non-believers. Such should sent liberals' alarm bells ringing.

For a liberal to "white knight" Muslims by attacking anyone who dares to speak out against their bigotry, does seem enormously hypocritical. Why not defend (moderate) neo-Nazis and the KKK too, if you're going to be consistent, and accuse those who disagree of Naziphobia (on the same level as Islamophobia), throwing in a few "rolls eyes" emoticons to boot to gain rhetorical flair? The latter groups are far more persecuted than Muslims in the liberal world, and it's debatable if their ideology is any more hateful, to look at the facts.

It seems that where "faith" is concerned though, people make a special exemption for bigotry and hate. Fear of offending people tends to silence honest debate.

Sure, I've met some nice Muslims. I've met some neo-Nazis too who don't seem like totally evil people. That doesn't mean I refuse to take a stand against such ideologies. Abrahamic desert creeds in their medieval manifestations go against all I stand for.

White knighting those militantly opposed to enlightened liberal values in the name of enlightened liberal values is indeed political correctness gone mad. It's also horrendously misguided, in my view.

If Muslims want to co-exist with modern societies, then so must free speech against Islam as an ideology without threat of retaliation, including satire and ridicule of their beliefs (but not incitement of violence against Muslims). Muslims who don't want to hear their faith critiqued can move to Saudi Arabia. Those who want to live and worship in e.g. Britain can do so, provided they don't get to silence free speech or incite others to violence (which is a rightful limit of free speech).

Really, Islam shouldn't be any more of a sacred cow to avoid criticising than Christianity, or political ideologies. It's childish and immature of Muslims to throw temper tantrums (and resort to violence, in some cases) when their faith isn't given preferential treatment by non-believers when all other faiths are rightfully fair game for critique and satire. Attempting to control non-believers and get them to shut up, is not acceptable. Again, Muslims should either put up with a bit of criticism and ridicule if they want to enjoy the benefits of living in a Western liberal society - or move to Saudi Arabia where they don't have to worry about non-believers (who they believe deserve to be tortured forever!) hurting their overly-sensitive feelings.

I indeed see madness at work, from my perspective. And I'm not going to apologise for giving my opinion there, in a forum for open expression of ideas. If you don't like it, don't read. Simple. But shut up? No. This isn't the Dark Ages.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Allah = God in Arabic...
God = Allah

It's the same thing right?

/thread€
Katy Perry should have stood her ground.
She would have won in the end because it is a basic human right for freedom of speech.
Reply 87
Original post by serebro

Right...okay, well i didn't know you'd know about sodom and gomorah. And since you know of the story then you should also know that this story is also in the bible. Yes the bible. So before you are going to judge people based on their religion you should also make note of how long ago this was and the context of when it was written/ had occurred. ALSO, may i also note that you will see people from ALL faiths who both disprove and approve of homosexuality..at the end of the day it doesn't just come to religion itself (Though it mainly does), it stems from how people have been brought up, where they have been brought up and the country in which they've been brought up (Such as Saudi Arabia or Iran where it is highly disproved from society). Please don't think so stereo-typically and don't be fooled by the propagated media. Just because some countries persecute homosexuals does not mean that they represent the whole of the islamic or christian population because not everything is as it seems. Perhaps search LGBT abuse Russia and you will see the extent of harm and abuse that non-muslims and non-christian people for that matter are inflicting on gays and their rights.

In regards to your second quote from the quran, here is an 'agnostic jew' from TEDtalks who http://youtu.be/3Y2Or0LlO6g?t=5m54s You just need to listen to 2 minutes of this to understand what i'm trying to say.
You might consider Islam 'pretty backward' if you wish, but you've got to actually the Quran to become a judge of the religion and UNDERSTAND it tbh...whats normal to us is completely strange to other cultures and religions and whats strange and weird to us is completely normal to them. You can't generalize a whole religion of millions of people merely from what a small minority do or have done in the past. Its just impossible, because there are so many cultural differences and beliefs withing Islam, its not just as simple as 'you're not allowed to do this' or'you're going to hell for that' and that is likewise with Judaism and Christianity.
I hope you can see where i'm coming from and be little more open minded :smile:
Blasphemy only exists in the minds of the people who believe in it. To the rest of us their religion is a meaningless, dead desert cult.
Reply 89
Someone link me this video. The original.
Reply 90
Original post by 419
Someone link me this video. The original.

It was like 5 frames and barely recognisable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by Ggmu!
It was like 5 frames and barely recognisable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

jeez.

blink man
Reply 92
Original post by 419
jeez.

blink man

That's not fair actually, 12-15 frames.

But it was beyond minor. I watched it full screen 1080p and I did not spot it once until I searched on Google for the moment it appears...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Ggmu!
That's not fair actually, 12-15 frames.

But it was beyond minor. I watched it full screen 1080p and I did not spot it once until I searched on Google for the moment it appears...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know around what time it is. I cab to research it. Terrible song. Worst video. My ears and eyes hurt. Tbh, humanity should be complaining about the video
Reply 94
Original post by 419
Do you know around what time it is. I cab to research it. Terrible song. Worst video. My ears and eyes hurt. Tbh, humanity should be complaining about the video

No idea. Hench black guy with loads of stuff around his neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think that video is absolutely dreadful.

Katy Perry is becoming dangerously cheesy.

But why complain? If you have a belief, enjoy that belief, **** the haterz, throwing toys out the pram will achieve nothing. So what if the video gets removed/edited. What have you proved?
Reply 96
Original post by Mequa
For those "Kafirs" attacking those who dare to speak out about the actions of Muslims, let me remind you that the Qur'an teaches that all who don't follow the faith deserve eternal torture in Hell, and that is totally right and just.

"Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment." - Surah 4:56

Unlike Christianity, even moderate Muslims cling to the above. Homosexuality is also strongly condemned. Modern science is rejected (such as evolution) even among moderate Muslims, again unlike Christianity. The Qur'an also contains many passages inciting violence against non-believers. Such should sent liberals' alarm bells ringing.

For a liberal to "white knight" Muslims by attacking anyone who dares to speak out against their bigotry, does seem enormously hypocritical. Why not defend (moderate) neo-Nazis and the KKK too, if you're going to be consistent, and accuse those who disagree of Naziphobia (on the same level as Islamophobia), throwing in a few "rolls eyes" emoticons to boot to gain rhetorical flair? The latter groups are far more persecuted than Muslims in the liberal world, and it's debatable if their ideology is any more hateful, to look at the facts.

It seems that where "faith" is concerned though, people make a special exemption for bigotry and hate. Fear of offending people tends to silence honest debate.

Sure, I've met some nice Muslims. I've met some neo-Nazis too who don't seem like totally evil people. That doesn't mean I refuse to take a stand against such ideologies. Abrahamic desert creeds in their medieval manifestations go against all I stand for.

White knighting those militantly opposed to enlightened liberal values in the name of enlightened liberal values is indeed political correctness gone mad. It's also horrendously misguided, in my view.

If Muslims want to co-exist with modern societies, then so must free speech against Islam as an ideology without threat of retaliation, including satire and ridicule of their beliefs (but not incitement of violence against Muslims). Muslims who don't want to hear their faith critiqued can move to Saudi Arabia. Those who want to live and worship in e.g. Britain can do so, provided they don't get to silence free speech or incite others to violence (which is a rightful limit of free speech).

Really, Islam shouldn't be any more of a sacred cow to avoid criticising than Christianity, or political ideologies. It's childish and immature of Muslims to throw temper tantrums (and resort to violence, in some cases) when their faith isn't given preferential treatment by non-believers when all other faiths are rightfully fair game for critique and satire. Attempting to control non-believers and get them to shut up, is not acceptable. Again, Muslims should either put up with a bit of criticism and ridicule if they want to enjoy the benefits of living in a Western liberal society - or move to Saudi Arabia where they don't have to worry about non-believers (who they believe deserve to be tortured forever!) hurting their overly-sensitive feelings.

I indeed see madness at work, from my perspective. And I'm not going to apologise for giving my opinion there, in a forum for open expression of ideas. If you don't like it, don't read. Simple. But shut up? No. This isn't the Dark Ages.

I deeply regret reading that post.. it will probably give me cancer because of it's utter and complete BS. I do hope that you wont breed, because we've got enough people like you who make the world as **** as it is. You're comparing Muslims to the kkk and Nazis? what the actual F are you suffering from exactly. 'Muslims who don't want to hear their faith critiqued can move to Saudi Arabia' Well in all honesty, who WOULD want their faith to be 'critiqued' when people like you have nothing to say but spur hatred and homophobic comments such as yours.
Your argument is completely one sided and invalid-I do strongly suggest you research the Quran deeper in full context if you really wish to understand the Quran's passages since you seem to be 'oh so knowledgeable' in the religion which you sure aren't. Only then will your argument be valid because you're not considering when and what the passages you referred to were written about and it's context.
Reply 97
Original post by Alhan
I deeply regret reading that post.. it will probably give me cancer because of it's utter and complete BS. I do hope that you wont breed, because we've got enough people like you who make the world as **** as it is. You're comparing Muslims to the kkk and Nazis? what the actual F are you suffering from exactly. 'Muslims who don't want to hear their faith critiqued can move to Saudi Arabia' Well in all honesty, who WOULD want their faith to be 'critiqued' when people like you have nothing to say but spur hatred and homophobic comments such as yours.
Your argument is completely one sided and invalid-I do strongly suggest you research the Quran deeper in full context if you really wish to understand the Quran's passages since you seem to be 'oh so knowledgeable' in the religion which you sure aren't. Only then will your argument be valid because you're not considering when and what the passages you referred to were written about and it's context.

That's like, nine lines of you just saying "you're wrong" in different ways - refute the points then, otherwise you're saying nothing.
Reply 98
Original post by Skip_Snip
That's like, nine lines of you just saying "you're wrong" in different ways - refute the points then, otherwise you're saying nothing.

Why does he have to refute a hatred post? A post comparing MODERATE Islam to nazim and kkk deserve to be taken seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Her music should be banned simply because it sucks. People shouldn't grow up thinking that sort of music is worth listening to.

Quick Reply