The Student Room Group

Interested in studying medicine?

Heya all!
Well basically i would like to study medicine and i like the idea of psychiatry and i know that you have to have done some work experience .Would it still be relevant if i did w/e with some consultant psychiatrists or does it have to be with GP's and hospitals etc? Im only 15 its just that i can get some work experience with a consultant psychitrist for next summer after my gcse's i hope.

Also , what sort of questions should i be asking the doctor whilst on w/e?
aimeem
Heya all!
Well basically i would like to study medicine and i like the idea of psychiatry and i know that you have to have done some work experience .Would it still be relevant if i did w/e with some consultant psychiatrists or does it have to be with GP's and hospitals etc? Im only 15 its just that i can get some work experience with a consultant psychitrist for next summer after my gcse's i hope.

Also , what sort of questions should i be asking the doctor whilst on w/e?

It may be hard to get psychiatric work experience as you're quite young (I don't mean that to sound condescending or anything, but they may like you to be 16+ as psychiatrists work with very vulnerable people, and not all sights will be particularly pleasant) and there are issues of patient confidentiality (although there are on pretty much all w/e placements), but if you can get some then great! You should definitely try and get some work experience with a G.P, and some in a hospital if you can. Some experience/volunteer work in a caring environment is important too (e.g. working in a care home, volunteering with the Red Cross, helping at a homeless shelter). As for which questions you should ask, well, what do you want to know? What are you hoping to learn on your work experience?
Reply 2
I will be 16 next july so hopefully be able to get some . I would like to do lots of work experience probably will do this after my gcse exams as i dont want it to interfere!
Im not sure how to start volunteering with the red cross think you have to be 16 for that dont you? ..
Most medical work experience will require you to be 16 due to insurance.

Latest

Trending

Trending