The Student Room Group

Wanna' be doctor please give advice!!!

At high school I had to confront some medical issues that caused me to miss a great part of the remaining two years I had left, with average gsce grades would I stand a chance of becoming a doctor and studying medicine with predicted A's at as for chemistry, psychology, biology and media studies?
English literature-A
Sport-B
English language-B
Maths-C
Art-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-B
Physics-B
ICT-C
Media studies-C

Would it increase my chances by scoring a good UCKAT score?
And which universities tend to look at a levels rather than gcses?

Thanks☺
Reply 1
Original post by Kdanielle
At high school I had to confront some medical issues that caused me to miss a great part of the remaining two years I had left, with average gsce grades would I stand a chance of becoming a doctor and studying medicine with predicted A's at as for chemistry, psychology, biology and media studies?
English literature-A
Sport-B
English language-B
Maths-C
Art-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-B
Physics-B
ICT-C
Media studies-C

Would it increase my chances by scoring a good UCKAT score?
And which universities tend to look at a levels rather than gcses?

Thanks☺

Universities focus a LOT more on your A-Levels. They do ask for at least a C/B in English and Maths however you seemed to have reached those. What I would focus on right now is doing your Chemistry/Biology A levels. You're right in saying that the UKCAT or BMAT do slightly compensate for 'bad' GCSE grades but you must understand that most people who apply for medicine do get a number of A*s at GCSE so the competition is certainly fierce. If you actually attain top grades in AS then considering your special circumstance the university may well give you a contextual offer which means the conditional offer is lower due to circumstances. To be completely honest you may have a difficult time getting into the most 'Prestigious' universities but may universities have lower entry requirements and may be more willing to accept your circumstances and look past GCSEs to a point - there is of course no guarantee. When you send off your UCAS application be sure to mention your circumstances. At the end of the day if you REALLY want to do medicine you will find a way - whether it be doing a undergraduate degree and then tackling medicine as a post graduate course... there are options.
Reply 2
Thank you hopefully they will understand and consider me after I mention my past volunteer work, I'm more than determined to work towards it, it may just take a while:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending