The Student Room Group

How to revise for Additional Science?! PLEASE HELP

Basically i'm taking route 5 and 6 (mixed physics, biology and chem) additional science papers in may. I try and revise following the june 2014 specification by writing notes on index cards but its very time consuming. I really need an A/A* to take science for Alevels. Any revision tips on how to revise for science? Ideally students who achieved an A-A* in their gcse science!
Reply 1
Hello, I'll be doing triple science this June on the AQA exam board and I got A*s in my science mocks. I advise you study from CGP and do every single past paper. If you want I'll also be willing to tutor you via skype if you just PM me.
Reply 2
Ohhh okay thankss :smile: I'll PM you now x

Posted from TSR Mobile
CGP. I didn't even do past papers, looking back that was probably quite stupid but I still got the grades.
Reply 4
Original post by mattmejevie
CGP. I didn't even do past papers, looking back that was probably quite stupid but I still got the grades.

same, i did my GCSEs in 2011 and got A*AA in my additional science from just those books
Original post by TNA123
same, i did my GCSEs in 2011 and got A*AA in my additional science from just those books

Cannot stress enough how much they saved me haha, I would fail my mocks E's/D's and then just effectively poo all over my teachers in the exams - "you won't get the grades if you don't do well in the mocks" *in annoying high pitched voice*
Reply 6

how did you revise from cgp books? how did you make your notes? I tend to revise from the specification and cgp books

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Whitney997
how did you revise from cgp books? how did you make your notes? I tend to revise from the specification and cgp books

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just read through the book and answered all of the questions in them over and over.

Revising from the spec is good also and I would advise doing past papers but make sure you know all of CGP's content and you will be fine and dandy.
Reply 8
get the additional science revision guide, make spider diagrams of each lesson in it then an overall one for the topic.
Original post by Whitney997
Basically i'm taking route 5 and 6 (mixed physics, biology and chem) additional science papers in may. I try and revise following the june 2014 specification by writing notes on index cards but its very time consuming. I really need an A/A* to take science for Alevels. Any revision tips on how to revise for science? Ideally students who achieved an A-A* in their gcse science!

I'm currently doing additional science too (i'm in year 10 though)
Iv'e been revising by cgp books, taking notes in my study planner, writing key points on post it notes and sticking them around my room, making flash cards etc.
Idk about you but I find it quite difficult to make time for revision. I know this isn't for everyone but I tend to wake up early on the weekend (at like 5 or 6am) and just revise for a few hours. That way no time has been taken out of my day and there are less distractions at such early times. (Idk if i'm making sense here but whatever :smile:)

I done most of this last year for core science and got A-A* sooo yeah :smile: Good luck!
Btw, are you doing edexcel by any chance?
Reply 10
Cannot stress enough how much they saved me haha, I would fail my mocks E's/D's and then just effectively poo all over my teachers in the exams - "you won't get the grades if you don't do well in the mocks" *in annoying high pitched voice*

Are we the same person? This sounds exactly like me, I got something like EED in my mocks and they were convinced I would get C's at best. They always said the books would only get us a C if lucky haha
Reply 11
Hey there :smile: I got 3 A*s for the IGCSE triple science award, when I was predicted Bs a month before! I became the queen of revision and this is how:

1) Find the specification for each exam. This will list everything you need to know.
2) Now buy the CGP revision guide for your exam and summarise each spec point using notes from the CGP revision guide. If you don't understand a concept, go onto youtube and watch a video on it (KhanAcademy is pretty awesome).
3) Once you've made notes on everything, read through your notes once or twice and then do a timed past paper. Try not to do it before you've made notes because there are a limited number of relevant past papers (they have different specs). Start with the most recent as the questions are of a similar type to what you're likely to get in your exam.
4) Then go over your past paper and look at what you'e got wrong. If you got it wrong because of a stupid mistake, make a note of it in your head. If you got it wrong for any other reason, firstly, look through your notes. If you can't see your error, look through the CGP revision guide. If you still can't see it, look at your textbook. And if it's not there, go and talk to a subject teacher about it. They love it when kids ask for help too, so don't be shy about it. Then take notes on your corrections.
5) Keep doing past papers with the technique that I just mentioned.
This is literally a fool-proof way to get near to full-marks in your exams.
Hope it helps you and good luck in June :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ilikesweets
I'm currently doing additional science too (i'm in year 10 though)
Iv'e been revising by cgp books, taking notes in my study planner, writing key points on post it notes and sticking them around my room, making flash cards etc.
Idk about you but I find it quite difficult to make time for revision. I know this isn't for everyone but I tend to wake up early on the weekend (at like 5 or 6am) and just revise for a few hours. That way no time has been taken out of my day and there are less distractions at such early times. (Idk if i'm making sense here but whatever :smile:)

I done most of this last year for core science and got A-A* sooo yeah :smile: Good luck!
Btw, are you doing edexcel by any chance?

wow! and I'm doing AQA >< x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by cerlohee
Hey there :smile: I got 3 A*s for the IGCSE triple science award, when I was predicted Bs a month before! I became the queen of revision and this is how:

1) Find the specification for each exam. This will list everything you need to know.
2) Now buy the CGP revision guide for your exam and summarise each spec point using notes from the CGP revision guide. If you don't understand a concept, go onto youtube and watch a video on it (KhanAcademy is pretty awesome).
3) Once you've made notes on everything, read through your notes once or twice and then do a timed past paper. Try not to do it before you've made notes because there are a limited number of relevant past papers (they have different specs). Start with the most recent as the questions are of a similar type to what you're likely to get in your exam.
4) Then go over your past paper and look at what you'e got wrong. If you got it wrong because of a stupid mistake, make a note of it in your head. If you got it wrong for any other reason, firstly, look through your notes. If you can't see your error, look through the CGP revision guide. If you still can't see it, look at your textbook. And if it's not there, go and talk to a subject teacher about it. They love it when kids ask for help too, so don't be shy about it. Then take notes on your corrections.
5) Keep doing past papers with the technique that I just mentioned.
This is literally a fool-proof way to get near to full-marks in your exams.
Hope it helps you and good luck in June :smile:

thankyou so much! I'll definitely take those tips on board xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest