The Student Room Group

Liberal arts colleges

These look really interesting - I'm thinking specifically of Williams - but can anyone tell me what they're actually like and how they're viewed in America and the rest of the world? I mean I'd never really heard of any of these places before, and they're pretty expensive - is it worth going just for the kind of education you'll receive? Do they have strong faculty and good resources? How do they rank compared to 'normal' universities? Would going severely damage your employment prospects?

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'm familiar with the West Coast liberal arts colleges, since I seem to have recieved an exorbanant amount of application material from them. :biggrin: I'm not applying to any though, I don't think. Note: I can't spell right now. Just ran a couple of miles...lol.

Basically, they want to retain the East Coast Ivy league vibe but in a different setting, and the curriculum is even more liberal artsy than the overall US education system.

www.reed.edu is the big name right now--Liberal in politics, fairly respected in academia (Like Berkeley, but on a smaller scale, probably smaller class sizes, because its not a public/state funded school-city, not sure though how they would compare on the job market). However, unless you plan on doing a post-grad in the US, I wouldn't recommend them, since they aren't as subject focuses and spend time reading say, philosophy, when you're really, say, pre-med.

Edit- Oh, and as for Williams-- They sent me something, and I'd never heard of it, so I put in the recycler. If that helps you gauge prestige, visibility.
Reed College is probably one of the few undergrad institutions that "may be worth it" to come study in the US. They were ranked the best college for undergrad's and the school is very very small with something like just over 1,000 students! I have a friend who will be going this fall and he is very intellectual. I also believe, now correct me if i'm wrong, that Reed's curriculum , though, still a liberal arts based system allows a greater emphasis on whatever your choosen subject (major). As part of the students studies during those four years they are encouraged to eventually write a dissertation in their last year which is based upon their major and of course must be approved by some dept. chair.

Lastly, all I can say is this: had I not had my heart set on studying in England, Reed would have been the only US college to get my app.

Hope that helps...:smile:
What about liberal arts colleges like Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin or colleges that are ranked top 10 in the US News ranking?
jeffreyweingard
What about liberal arts colleges like Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin or colleges that are ranked top 10 in the US News ranking?

Williams and Amherst are good and have good reputations. The other LAC that produces highly employable graduates is Pomona College in southern California. When I was in final rounds for a few investment banks, everyone was either Stanford or Pomona.
shady lane
Williams and Amherst are good and have good reputations. The other LAC that produces highly employable graduates is Pomona College in southern California. When I was in final rounds for a few investment banks, everyone was either Stanford or Pomona.

What about LACs outside California :p: ? Is the US News Report LAC ranking accurate (Pomona is ranked 6 and tied with Bowdoin in Maine)?
Reply 6
As far as I'm aware LACs are not considered inferior to normal universities, though of course it depends on which one you go to. Many are very highly regarded in America (probably abroad), and most ambitious high schoolers apply to many (sometimes solely) LACs. In fact, here in NYC I would say they are pretty much the norm. Most of my friends are going to LACs, I highly doubt going to one would damage any employment prospects, as they are hardly unusual.
Amherst/Bowdain/Williams are all great small liberal arts colleges as well, but its all relative to what you plan to major in. There is also the Princeton Review which is a great source of info. aside from the US News rankings (which can be a little controversal).

Knox College is another good school for undergrads, as well as Brywn Mywer (I think that's how its spelled?) which is an all girls college.

You have to keep in mind that, though, american uni's all offer 'general education' classes as a base to your studies...certain colleges/uni's are better known for specific areas.
USC = great film dept/great music dept/great architecture dept...etc
Knox = great creative writing program at undergrad level
Oberlin = wonderful music academy [as well as Harvard and Cornell, if considering the ivies...]
Moloko
In fact, here in NYC I would say they are pretty much the norm. Most of my friends are going to LACs, I highly doubt going to one would damage any employment prospects, as they are hardly unusual.

May I ask which LACs did your friends apply to?
AstraeaBeauty
Amherst/Bowdain/Williams are all great small liberal arts colleges as well, but its all relative to what you plan to major in. There is also the Princeton Review which is a great source of info. aside from the US News rankings (which can be a little controversal).

Which Princeton Review college guide should I look at with regard to LACs?
just go to this web page www.princetonreview.com

and wonder around...you should find some specific info, I think you have to register though..its free
Reply 11
Here is a reliable ranking if you haven't seen it: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/libartco/tier1/t1libartco_brief.php

As for my friends, they applied to (going down the rankings beacuse I can't remember them all off the top of my head):

Amherst
Swarthmore
Haverford
Middlebury
Wesleyan University
Vassar
Smith
Mount Holyoke College
Oberlin
Macalaster
Barnard
Bucknell
University of Richmond
Scripps
Bard
Skidmore
Sarah Lawrence College
Pitzer
Wheaton College
Muhlenberg College
Goucher
Juniata College

yes, I have seen this ranking. But it seems have a bad reputation attached to it. Is it "reliable" and "accurate"?
Reply 13
Well, I suppose it's not perfect, but rankings are always somewhat controversial. I would say it's reasonably accurate. Where have you heard that it was unreliable?
US News and Reports is always called into question because they have a habit of making entertainment out of their top school choices--ie, switching from Harvard to Yale, etc. Also, they bank a lot on prestige and not so much on the quality of actual education.

That aside, they are what I mainly go by.
But I mean, what sort of people go to these colleges? Why such a small proportion of the population? Do LACs in general have some kind of reputation I should know about?
Liberal Art Colleges are small for just that reason usually, they are colleges not universities. which in no way deters from their academic standards, its just that in america we differentiate between calling a higher institution a college or a university...

LAC's are almost always private schools versus say UCLA which is considered public. for ex: all the ivies are also private...

some people think that private uni's/colleges have more funding available, while the public schools are in part funded by and restricted by the government.

also remember that LAC's cater to students who want a uni experience where they may perphaps get better/more attention from proffesors or smaller class sizes...it really just comes down to what you are looking for in your eduaction and what lifestyle your looking to have. everything is relative...
I was told that at LACs, you are required take courses in subjects other than your major/minor (e.g. if you major in History, you will also have to take courses in Science, Maths). I am all in favour of this, but I am a bit worried since I haven't done Science (only did Chemistry) and Maths since GCSE. Will I struggle?
jeffreyweingard
I was told that at LACs, you are required take courses in subjects other than your major/minor (e.g. if you major in History, you will also have to take courses in Science, Maths). I am all in favour of this, but I am a bit worried since I haven't done Science (only did Chemistry) and Maths since GCSE. Will I struggle?

its not just at LAC's but at all american uni's/college's....

their called 'General Education Requirement Classes" usually
its basically the basis of having an american degree at undergad level...being well read and versed in a wide array of subjects and fields. so even if your an english major you have to take a certain number of credits/classes in math/hist/science/foreign lang/etc...you get the idea?

wheras in the UK, you usually study one or two subjects exclusivly! which from what i gather some people think is better...as your studies are more indepth

you have to really remember that these (UK and America) are two entirely different education systems.
AstraeaBeauty
its not just at LAC's but at all american uni's/college's....

their called 'General Education Requirement Classes" usually
its basically the basis of having an american degree at undergad level...being well read and versed in a wide array of subjects and fields. so even if your an english major you have to take a certain number of credits/classes in math/hist/science/foreign lang/etc...you get the idea?

wheras in the UK, you usually study one or two subjects exclusivly! which from what i gather some people think is better...as your studies are more indepth

you have to really remember that these (UK and America) are two entirely different education systems.

Thank you for explaining this to me. But as I have already said, I haven't done Math and Science since GCSE. Will I struggle to cope with these "general education requirements"?

Latest

Trending

Trending