The Student Room Group

IELTS

Hi!

I want to apply to medicine in UK this October for year 2015 . Can I sit my IELTS after I apply (after October) or I have to get the result before applying?
Reply 1
Original post by jo_ann24
Hi!

I want to apply to medicine in UK this October for year 2015 . Can I sit my IELTS after I apply (after October) or I have to get the result before applying?

You can, since it's mainly for visa purposes, but it's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible.
Reply 2
It's not for visa purposes, that's the General IELTS. The Academic IELTS is to equivalent your English skills for University.
Reply 3
It's not for visa purposes, that's the General IELTS. The Academic IELTS is to equivalent your English skills for University.

a) Always be clear about your question when you post. You asked about just IELTS in general.

b) Where are you from? Being a current intl medic in London, I'm willing to help, if you are willing to be a little bit less arrogant sounding. The rules vary depending on your qualifications and country of origin.

c) The academic is used for visa purposes as well mind you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Firstly, I am sorry if I sounded arrogant. I absolutely did not intend that! When I say something out loud you can get the right tone from the voice but when you read something, it is up to your interpretation. I didn't realize that it could be interpreted like that.

I thought that it was enough specified that I want to go to university because general IELTS is required only for immigration purposes and not for universities; but I will try to be more specific next time, thanks for the tip :smile:

I am a EU high schooler, junior year.
Reply 5
Firstly, I am sorry if I sounded arrogant. I absolutely did not intend that! When I say something out loud you can get the right tone from the voice but when you read something, it is up to your interpretation. I didn't realize that it could be interpreted like that.

I thought that it was enough specified that I want to go to university because general IELTS is required only for immigration purposes and not for universities; but I will try to be more specific next time, thanks for the tip :smile:

I am a EU high schooler, junior year.

And my answer was to that extent. Although it doesn't apply to you, visas are issued upon a valid English proficiency exam, which for Tier 4 (General) Higher Education level, is Academic IELTS, as universities essentially "sponsor" your stay by assuring UKBA that the student is proficient in English. And since universities accept only academic IELTS, it's essentially for visa purposes for internationals from non-majority English speaking countries who are fluent in English/educated in English.

If you're EU, they usually don't mind your IELTS being done after applications, and wouldn't really care unless you can't speak good enough English at the interviews. They'll give it as one of the conditions for your offer.

Some universities are strict about one's ability however, especially if from a country where very little English is spoken/taught. And may require evidence with application.

IELTS is easy, if you speak English on a daily basis, and I'd highly recommend taking it as early as possible, to avoid any possible issues.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for your reply.

I think I will take the IELTS on 10 July but I am a bit anxious because I have to get a 7.5 overall score for medicine.

I posted this thread because I was thinking that if I am not going to get the score needed, then, would i have another chance to sit it again? (There are no other exam dates available till the application deadline).

So, as you said, I guess that I have to do my best in July :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending