The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

How much does 2nd year count?!

Hi all,

Going to do my final year in portsmouth this october in BA (HONS) Marketing... Does anyone know how much does the 2nd year count towards your final grade in your degree?

I added up what i got for all my units and divided it by how many units i did and i ended up with 52% (2:2) as an average.

Thanks.
Reply 1
oooh, i know this - forgotten now though!

let me have a think....

/useless
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
My mind is telling me 40%.
Reply 3
some courses have different options - its like either:

* 40% 2nd year 60% 3rd;

* your best 'however many units you need to graduate' out of both 2nd and 3rd years;

* all of your 3rd year.

something like that, i only heard it off my cool 2nd year friends - didnt take much notice cause i've only just finished year 1.....
Reply 4
^Yup - what she said is right^
Reply 5
no way?! i'm a ruddy geeeeeeenius!
each department mite be slightly different thou
Yup - depends on your course! For me, the second year is 30% and the third is 70%.
Reply 8
Syxxthmunky
Hi all,

Going to do my final year in portsmouth this october in BA (HONS) Marketing... Does anyone know how much does the 2nd year count towards your final grade in your degree?

I added up what i got for all my units and divided it by how many units i did and i ended up with 52% (2:2) as an average.

Thanks.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Familiar face!

on my course i'm pretty sure our course leader said 2nd was 30% and 3rd was 70%!

see ya next year though :biggrin:
omg~ the 2nd year actually counts?! *faints* u mean im actually going to make effort? my course is english and media studies does anyone happen to know the weightings for that please?
Reply 10
Sports science gets the full 3 options mentioned above :biggrin:
Reply 11
Tinkerbelle
omg~ the 2nd year actually counts?! *faints* u mean im actually going to make effort? my course is english and media studies does anyone happen to know the weightings for that please?

how can people be on these courses and not know how much the modules that they are taking count towards their overall degree???
Reply 12
skribla
how can people be on these courses and not know how much the modules that they are taking count towards their overall degree???

Maybe they either never told us, or we were asleep when they did?! It's really not all that obvious. I don't have a clue for mine, I just know I actually have to do a little more work this year..
I only knew the actual methods at the start of my 3rd yr when a meeting for all students was held in my department, the methods may change each year as now last yr they had changed the methods. the main thing to remember is the second year isnt worth as much as the third in any method but is still important.
Reply 14
skribla

Because the uni isn't really organised or good at telling you what counts and stuff. Or how your individual course is assessed with weightings.
Reply 15
Original post by Syxxthmunky
Hi all,

Thanks.

With my course they credit your top two modules from second year as 10 credits each to your degree, but only if the average of them are higher than your lowest-mark final year module. Final year modules are 20 credits each, the dissertation (or equivalent) is 40 credits. All together there are 120 credits making the two second year modules (potentially) account for ~15% of your degree classification.
One way they work out your final degree classification is to weight it like so..

They take the unit you did worse in in the second year and drop it. They then take the average of the remaining units.

Then, they do the same thing for the third year units.

They then weight the average marks as 40% from the second year 60% from the third year.

^^^ If I recall correctly.
Hi

I am still a bit confused, I asked my teacher the same but can't get it around my head lmao. I am now going to my final year in September. This is what she said;

"Your final degree classification is based on your final year average. However, if it is of benefit to you, we can take the average of your best 5 final year modules and combine it with the average of your second year".

Suppose my second years highest grade/result was 72% does that mean, it would be combined with my third year final result? For example if my result seems to be a 2.2 which seems to be an average grade with 342 total "points" from all the modules added up. Does that mean they will add the 72% up to my fina grade possibly and adequate my grade to a higher 2.1? 342+72=414/6 (modules)= 69%.....

Am I right or wrong or partly right or wrong lol. Can someone please tell me? Need a clear understanding. Still confused about what my tutor had meant ^^
Original post by Teddy147
Hi

I am still a bit confused, I asked my teacher the same but can't get it around my head lmao. I am now going to my final year in September. This is what she said;

"Your final degree classification is based on your final year average. However, if it is of benefit to you, we can take the average of your best 5 final year modules and combine it with the average of your second year".

Suppose my second years highest grade/result was 72% does that mean, it would be combined with my third year final result? For example if my result seems to be a 2.2 which seems to be an average grade with 342 total "points" from all the modules added up. Does that mean they will add the 72% up to my fina grade possibly and adequate my grade to a higher 2.1? 342+72=414/6 (modules)= 69%.....

Am I right or wrong or partly right or wrong lol. Can someone please tell me? Need a clear understanding. Still confused about what my tutor had meant ^^

That alone is insufficient/ambiguous (not saying that's your fault, more your tutor). I say insufficient because it does not tell you if weightings differ depending on whether you get the 5 module rule applied or not.

But you are also slightly misunderstanding - your second year result is fixed and there's no picking the highest result from the year and combining it, unless that's a rule that you haven't mentioned. Whatever happens in your final year, every unit from your second year (i.e the average) will contribute to your overall grade.

The 5 module rule you've described basically means.. best shown by an example.

Say you had 10 units in final year.

Keeping it very simple, you have 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50. Then your third year average could be 70 + 70 +.... + 50 + 50.... .... which you already can see will be 60. OR if you took your 5 best ones then your average would be 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 / 5 = 70. So when your best 5 modules are averaged you get a higher grade than if all are averaged, so your third year grade is 70% and that is used in however the weighted average works (the problem mentioned at the start).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending