The Student Room Group

Apply for a foundation year of same course?

Let's say I want to apply to X university for a degree in Computer Science. But since I am unsure if I will get accepted on to it(mature student not going A level route) is it a bad or good idea to apply for a foundation year at the same uni as applying for a year 1? Pretty much all unis guarantee a place after completing a foundation year so it seems like an easier way into a good uni. But will they look down on you for applying for the same(or relevant) course with foundation year? Or is it best to just apply to one of them and the one that is better suited to you? This probably sounds confusing. >.<
Reply 1
If you apply for the degree and they think you'd be better on the foundation, they will offer you a place on that. Or if they do reject you, you can ask to be reconsidered for the foundation.
Reply 2
I wouldn't use an entire application slot to apply for the foundation year version of a course. I'd instead apply for the regular course, and once my app has been submitted, I would call the admisisons team and inform them that I would be willing to do a foundation year if deemed necessary by the university.
Reply 3
Ah, thanks. That sounds like a good plan. Problem with some foundation years is they're done at a further education college miles away from the uni so it's a bit offputting for a lot of unis. But some do it at the uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending