The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Try:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/York_University__22879

More good than bad, I think. Can't help but feel a bit gutted by the negative ones .....
University of York
York
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/campus_careers/universities/university_of_york_in_general/_review/302675/

I totally disagree with this one. I am from much further north than York and I found many of my fellow northerners there.
But yes, the library is pathetic. It must be even worse for arts students who need more books. I had to order common journals, like Nature Genetics, from the British library! That's ridiculous! Also, they don't have any online journal subscriptions so you have to go to the library for EVERYTHING. Most other uni have these subscriptions. Just one click for all the articles you need.

But there are lots and lots and LOTS of cute ducklings :smile:
Reply 3
babyballerina
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/campus_careers/universities/university_of_york_in_general/_review/302675/

I totally disagree with this one. I am from much further north than York and I found many of my fellow northerners there.
But yes, the library is pathetic. It must be even worse for arts students who need more books. I had to order common journals, like Nature Genetics, from the British library! That's ridiculous! Also, they don't have any online journal subscriptions so you have to go to the library for EVERYTHING. Most other uni have these subscriptions. Just one click for all the articles you need.

But there are lots and lots and LOTS of cute ducklings :smile:

im feeling sad now, i turned down durham for york and everything i read seems to be bad :frown:
Reply 4
charlord
im feeling sad now, i turned down durham for york and everything i read seems to be bad :frown:

hey, dont be sad. Did you go have a look at York? I went and looked for myself and I loved it, the environment, the ducks, everything. There are always going to be bad points about every university, so I'm not surprised that there are some here, but it's to be expected isnt it?

At the end of the day, York got the times university of the year this year, that's fine for me!! :smile:
Reply 5
Leeds only a £5 return? Thats a total bargain, I thought it might be more, but at £5 thats cheaper than getting a taxi from my house to the town centre(where I currently live)..
Reply 6
kimoni
hey, dont be sad. Did you go have a look at York? I went and looked for myself and I loved it, the environment, the ducks, everything. There are always going to be bad points about every university, so I'm not surprised that there are some here, but it's to be expected isnt it?

At the end of the day, York got the times university of the year this year, that's fine for me!! :smile:

yeh i really liked it!!! but then i came on the forum and saw lots of bad stuff. what course r u doing?
Reply 7
charlord
yeh i really liked it!!! but then i came on the forum and saw lots of bad stuff. what course r u doing?

This really worrys me as well, I thought York was wicked on the open days but everyone just has bad things to say about it:frown: Im sure itll be fine though...I cant get over the fact that leeds is only £5 away...Leeds is one of the party capitals of the UK so if you ever feel bored at York you can just take a trip to Leeds I guess..
Reply 8
charlord
yeh i really liked it!!!

heh, that says it all then. I really liked it too, and I don't really give a flying monkey's what the few people here say. One man's chocolate is another man's dog turd... or so they say. If York really was as bad as you think then I'm sure it would have got a reputation for it.
I'm not a hardcore clubber, I liked the campus and the city was beautiful. I havent heard of lots of people complain about York too much apart from the nightlife, which is to do with the city and not with the university. Anyway, there are loadsa pubs!

I'm doing Electronics / Music Tech Systems (i think that's it!) hopefully anyway.. providing I get AAB :redface: eek!
What are you doing?
Reply 9
babyballerina
Also, they don't have any online journal subscriptions so you have to go to the library for EVERYTHING. Most other uni have these subscriptions. Just one click for all the articles you need.

I have an Athens password and can get to most of the journals/ articles I need online. :confused:
It is not only a £5 pound return to Leeds, there are also returning trains at 1 o'clock and 3 o' clock to York.
Reply 11
kimoni
heh, that says it all then. I really liked it too, and I don't really give a flying monkey's what the few people here say. One man's chocolate is another man's dog turd... or so they say. If York really was as bad as you think then I'm sure it would have got a reputation for it.
I'm not a hardcore clubber, I liked the campus and the city was beautiful. I havent heard of lots of people complain about York too much apart from the nightlife, which is to do with the city and not with the university. Anyway, there are loadsa pubs!

I'm doing Electronics / Music Tech Systems (i think that's it!) hopefully anyway.. providing I get AAB :redface: eek!
What are you doing?

yeh same here, ive said this before, but I come from quite a small town and still find lots of places to go out which compared to other big cities may be seen as not that amazing, so I doubt Ill be all that disappointed at york!

i need aab too for history :s-smilie:
although, I want to convert to english instead :smile:
++Hex++
I have an Athens password and can get to most of the journals/ articles I need online. :confused:

Not Nature you can't. Last year they refused to have an online subscription. Nature and some of it's subsiduries are available in paper copy in the library but not Nature Genetics or Nature Biotech. If you have never been anywhere else, maybe it doesn't seem so bad. But the library situation drove me insane.

I have left now and I have no intention of going anywhere near the place ever again. I am not going back from graduation.
Reply 13
babyballerina
Not Nature you can't. Last year they refused to have an online subscription. Nature and some of it's subsiduries are available in paper copy in the library but not Nature Genetics or Nature Biotech. If you have never been anywhere else, maybe it doesn't seem so bad. But the library situation drove me insane.

I have left now and I have no intention of going anywhere near the place ever again. I am not going back from graduation.

OK, please, I understand you didnt like York, and its nothing compared to Cambridge(surprise?) but please, most of us in this little subforum have all chosen york to spend the next 3 years of our lives studying, and all youre doing is ripping our University choice into pieces, which isnt making us feel too good about our decision.
imasillynarb
OK, please, I understand you didnt like York, and its nothing compared to Cambridge(surprise?) but please, most of us in this little subforum have all chosen york to spend the next 3 years of our lives studying, and all youre doing is ripping our University choice into pieces, which isnt making us feel too good about our decision.

Sorry I think this thread is going down a negative avenue which I did not intend. My first post was that I didn't agree with such a negative review (see link in that post) which says northerners are not welcome and the univeristy is only for science students.

No, I didn't enjoy my masters course at York on bit. But I think the undergrad course may be very different as several people on my masters had loved being an undergrad there (but they hated the matsers too!) Like many (all?) universities York is pushed to the limit with funding and under pressure to admit more students, so they take on lots of grad students in order to make money, but the courses are poorly thought out.

The best computers are in computer science so I just went over there and asked if I could have a user name. So I got one and was able to use these computers for the rest of my course.
Reply 15
imasillynarb

yeh right i totally agree
i could say plenty of cruddy things about other universities but cant actually be bothered because i know york is gonna be fun. all these posts though have been making me have loads of doubts yet everyone else Ive spoken to thats actually been there said it was great - maybe the reason these people complain about the nightlife is because they spend all their evenings ranting on here...
Reply 16
Greetings to all Uni of York (UK)'s prospectives and grads. I just graduated from York (BSc Maths) last year and I am now studying MSc at Imperial. It is rather sad that some people view York uni so negatively. I love York! The people there are very friendly, the city is very clean, transportations are excellent. Compare that with the those in London! Academically, it is very good (its UK uni ranking speaks for itself). If not because I like trying out new places, I would like to stay at York. One more thing- if you want to see dorks, there are loads here at Imperial! So, to those people who think York uni is so boring, I guess you must be a boring person.
Reply 17
new_order
Greetings to all Uni of York (UK)'s prospectives and grads. I just graduated from York (BSc Maths) last year and I am now studying MSc at Imperial. It is rather sad that some people view York uni so negatively. I love York! The people there are very friendly, the city is very clean, transportations are excellent. Compare that with the those in London! Academically, it is very good (its UK uni ranking speaks for itself). If not because I like trying out new places, I would like to stay at York. One more thing- if you want to see dorks, there are loads here at Imperial! So, to those people who think York uni is so boring, I guess you must be a boring person.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest