The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lawz-
Best bit is the paycheck. That's about it.

Lawz-, you did the BCL, what are you doing now? LPC?
Reply 21
I intend to work my ass off in 2nd and 3rd year and get a good 2:1 [would totally love a 1st but it's not gonna happen, have to think about my drinking and my sexing too, like obviously] and then do the LPC, then TC if I can.

I need to earn good money, shallow as that sounds, but I've been surrounded by it all my life, I'd be useless on an average salary.
Well im the opposite, Ive never had much so I would really like to give my family in future a comfortable life. Dont want extreme amounts of money, just enough to be comfortable... lawyers salary is that amount.

But im on a first, so bring it on world!
Reply 23
just live at home with your folks and commute. save up while you're there. no way would i rent something in london.
superdillon
"barristers are better than solicitors" is not what I was getting at. Of course they are both valuable in the same way that a charity worker is valuable to society!

If I could sort of rephrase the point that i was making:

It seems to me that the LPC is all that you require to become a solicitor and that a study law is not required because at the end of the day once you have grasped the way to type contracts/leases etc, there will come a point when only the name of your clients will change and nothing else will.

The BVC followed by a career at the bar, in my opinion, offers at the very least more variety but more importantly a new challenge everyday because of the levels of innovation and originality associated with it. Its a great challenge that you can go at for the rest of your working life and it is so much more enjoyable.

So where did you do your LPC to form this opinion?
I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I've done lots of work experience and solicitor's offices have a great atmosphere, the work is valuable and challenging.
Have you done both vacation schemes and mini pupillages then?
Reply 25
ellewoods
So where did you do your LPC to form this opinion?
I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I've done lots of work experience and solicitor's offices have a great atmosphere, the work is valuable and challenging.
Have you done both vacation schemes and mini pupillages then?

I haven't done an LPC and do not intend to do one.
I've worked at local solicitors and high-end solicitors in major firms in the city.
I am questioning whether the work is "valuable and challenging".
I have done no formal vacation schemes or mini-puillages (I have never applied for either).
I don't have anything against solicitors. I am simply inquiring about what it is realy like to work as a solicitor whether the work is really challenging and thought-provoking.
I am not going to be doing the LPC. The thoughts that I expressed in the last post are my preconceptions.
Perhaps in order to show me that solicitor's work is "valuable and challenging" you can give me an example. I simply do not think that the work is varied enough and I believe that this is a view that is widely including by a lot of people who have stated on this thread, who have expressed their negative thoughts about the work that solicitors do. NOBODY is underestimating the importance of the work they are doing.
Yes of course I don't mind giving you an example Superdillon...

I worked on a case during one of my vac schemes where I was interviewing clients, compliling statements and dealing with huge stacks on evidence relating to a case where there was a dispute over a childs' education and a specific issue order was being sought.
The child was so so unhappy, was being manipulated by at least one party involved, and was seeing a psychiatrist.
To work within such a situation, to strive to reach a result which would positively benefit a childs' mental health and shape his future, was massively rewarding.
And even as a vac scheme girl, I was given varied and interesting work to do, as I mentioned just now, interviews, statements, evidence, I was also in court, I compiled instructions for counsel (ripped apart by the partner supervising me, but hey :rolleyes: its all a learning curve) and was constantly kept "in the loop" by the partners and overall, I gained a lot from my time there.

What position were you holding while working for law firms?
It would be interesting to hear how you have formed your opinions :smile:
Us acadmic law degree / LPC / TC route people may be able to learn from your experiences seeing as you seem to have such low opinions and strong preconceptions of the LPC etc. :wink:
Reply 27
ellewoods
Yes of course I don't mind giving you an example Superdillon...

I worked on a case during one of my vac schemes where I was interviewing clients, compliling statements and dealing with huge stacks on evidence relating to a case where there was a dispute over a childs' education and a specific issue order was being sought.
The child was so so unhappy, was being manipulated by at least one party involved, and was seeing a psychiatrist.
To work within such a situation, to strive to reach a result which would positively benefit a childs' mental health and shape his future, was massively rewarding.
And even as a vac scheme girl, I was given varied and interesting work to do, as I mentioned just now, interviews, statements, evidence, I was also in court, I compiled instructions for counsel (ripped apart by the partner supervising me, but hey :rolleyes: its all a learning curve) and was constantly kept "in the loop" by the partners and overall, I gained a lot from my time there.

What position were you holding while working for law firms?
It would be interesting to hear how you have formed your opinions :smile:
Us acadmic law degree / LPC / TC route people may be able to learn from your experiences seeing as you seem to have such low opinions and strong preconceptions of the LPC etc. :wink:

A pleasure to be spanked by you ellewoods.

Your vacation scheme described above seems very good.
I haven't held a position as such whilst doing work experience. i have formed my opinions from people who have been through the time when they had to decided whether to become a solicitor or barrister, and listened to the reasons that they gave.
Trainee solicitors who are my friends tell me, if not from their own personal experience (but that of others), that the solicitors work is not that varied and that it is difficult to gain kind of self-satisfaction and approval that you described above. I will take that into account.

I do not want to teach you "acadmic law degree / LPC / TC route" people, I WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS, which is why I am not advising you but LISTENING TO YOU and where appropriate expressing my own opinion and seeing what you have to think about it.
superdillon
A pleasure to be spanked by you ellewoods

LOL what does this mean??!! :cool: :biggrin: :confused:

Seriously, I think all knowledge, opinions, thoughts and theories are beneficial to getting a well rounded view and experience of your profession :wink: So keep 'em coming...
Ok well personally the main reason why my experience at a solicitors was so crap was because it was part of my EU prize. Thus the women, a senior partner, instead of being nice seemed to be a mega b*tch and kept going on about u don't need to get a first to be a solicitor and inadvertantly suggested because I was working on one I'd lack other skills. I think she was seriously insecure but frankly she was a pain up the backside, spending half the time on the phone to her friends and creating herself seriousl work backlog and problems. I would not like a job with such a nut.
Reply 30
LauraWalker
Ok well personally the main reason why my experience at a solicitors was so crap was because it was part of my EU prize. Thus the women, a senior partner, instead of being nice seemed to be a mega b*tch and kept going on about u don't need to get a first to be a solicitor and inadvertantly suggested because I was working on one I'd lack other skills. I think she was seriously insecure but frankly she was a pain up the backside, spending half the time on the phone to her friends and creating herself seriousl work backlog and problems. I would not like a job with such a nut.

She was obviously threatened by your brilliance.
You don;t need a first, but it certainly gives you something to stand out! If you have absolutely nothing else, no good responsibilities, no extra curric etc then I guess a first on its own will just show you to be an uber geek though and no-one employs them :biggrin:. A first is only useful if you combine it with stuff, if someone has a 2.1 and loads of good experience exhibiting their attributes, they have a far better chance than someone who just walks out with a first.

Unless you went to oxbridge and are applying to be a barrister, in which case thats the only criteria :wink:
superdillon
She was obviously threatened by your brilliance.

ha ha my little corsa was threated by her black BMW with tinted windows :biggrin:
Was she a gangster chav?
Reply 34
superdillon
You think paychecks are really worth it? Upon qualifying salaries are around £32 000- £35 000, you be a beat officer in the police force and earn that much I think.
I'm not in it for the money however just the enjoyment of working within the law.

And what's the earning potential in the policeforce?

My NQ Salary will be upwards of 100k... if you make partner you could be on 1.5m a year and up eventually ...

Who's talking about trainee's salaries?
Reply 35
RR
Lawz-, you did the BCL, what are you doing now? LPC?

Finished the LPC - start work in about a month or so.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Was she a gangster chav?

:smile: don't think so, she always organising church garden parties, unless it was code for send in the boys :smile: but I don't think so because little old dears kept popping in to see her. U see another advantage of partnership, you can work by your own rules provided they are within the law and the other partners don't thwart your timetable. Old dears in for biscuits after drawing up a few contracts, why not hey? :biggrin:
Reply 37
Lawz-
And what's the earning potential in the policeforce?

My NQ Salary will be upwards of 100k... if you make partner you could be on 1.5m a year and up eventually ...

Who's talking about trainee's salaries?

Hi, generally how long does it take to become a partner? I know there are many variables, but just a general idea..? :smile:
NQ salary of 100k, show me the firms website then I will believe that, even Clifford Chance the highest earning law firm in the world is only 51k... unless ur american and dealing in dollars.

Highest earning solic in the UK is on 1.5m, so ur living in your own imaginary world.
Reply 39
What is the process of becoming a partner in a law firm?

How long does it take to become one?

How significant is the salary change?

Latest

Trending

Trending