The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just an interesting point to consider:

"The distinction between the sciences and the humanities is harmful to both pursuits, placing the former on an undeserved pedestal and condemning the latter to irrationality"(Richard Rorty):rolleyes:
Reply 41
I've found some evidence against the idea that people can switch from sciences to arts but not the other way (all examples kindly provided by Goodfella333):
"prestigous"
"Thats"
"proffesional"
"definately" (Features in two separate posts.)
"Religous" (I would think it was a typing error, but it was done twice in two sentences.)
"einstein"
"rigourous"
"i've"
"there" (In place of they're.)

Of course I only skimmed through. There could be numerous other mistakes. And that's without mentioning the sentences starting with lower case letters or without full stops. I ignored any things which appeared to be typing errors e.g. "bas" in place of "bad".

If an arts student tries to talk about science they will make equally bad mistakes of course, but the idea that

"A science student can swtich to arts later if he wants to.
An art student can't."

is ridiculous.
But this debate is about sciences and arts in general, not just at a-level.

I was confused by you posting in the A levels forum then.
But he will be able to do something!

Mention something like chlorophyll and endocrine to an arts student:

Mention iambic pentameter to a science student. For that matter try mentioning chlorophyll or endocrine to people studying physics at university, then to people studying English. The proportion who know what both words mean will be about the same in each group.
harr
For that matter try mentioning chlorophyll or endocrine to people studying physics at university, then to people studying English. The proportion who know what both words mean will be about the same in each group.

I'm just a lowly arts student who obviously doesn't know anything :rolleyes: but isn't chlorophyll the green pigment that plants use for photosynthesis? That's Key Stage 3 stuff!
I am only doing Arts (French, German, Eng Lit and History) so Arts all the way! :p:
Reply 44
I'm just a lowly arts student who obviously doesn't know anything but isn't chlorophyll the green pigment that plants use for photosynthesis? That's Key Stage 3 stuff!

That's my point (though I thought it was in Key Stage 2). Maybe I wasn't very clear...
Reply 45
harr
I've found some evidence against the idea that people can switch from sciences to arts but not the other way (all examples kindly provided by Goodfella333):
"prestigous"
"Thats"
"proffesional"
"definately" (Features in two separate posts.)
"Religous" (I would think it was a typing error, but it was done twice in two sentences.)
"einstein"
"rigourous"
"i've"
"there" (In place of they're.)

Of course I only skimmed through. There could be numerous other mistakes. And that's without mentioning the sentences starting with lower case letters or without full stops. I ignored any things which appeared to be typing errors e.g. "bas" in place of "bad".

If an arts student tries to talk about science they will make equally bad mistakes of course, but the idea that

"A science student can swtich to arts later if he wants to.
An art student can't."

is ridiculous.

I was confused by you posting in the A levels forum then.

Mention iambic pentameter to a science student. For that matter try mentioning chlorophyll or endocrine to people studying physics at university, then to people studying English. The proportion who know what both words mean will be about the same in each group.

Thanks for that, you have just proven my point. Even though my english may not be up to scratch, I still managed to get an A at GCSE English language. (it just shows what a joke the subject is)

I wouldn't say i am extremely smart(probably just smart), so noone can say i started this thread to show everyone how smart i am. However deep down in every arts student, you all know the scientists are the smarter of the two. If anyone seriously feel artists are smarter than scientists(just to name a few: Newton, Fariday, Lord Kelvin, Pythagoras, Galileo, Einstein) seriously needs there heads tested.
Goodfella333
Thanks for that, you have just proven my point. Even though my english may not be up to scratch, I still managed to get an A at GCSE English language. (it just shows what a joke the subject is)

Absolute b*llocks. All that demonstrates is that standards are slipping across the board and GCSEs are becoming more and more of a joke. Outside of the sciences, maths is my worst subject - and yet incidentally my easiest AS course. You basing your assumptions on public exams only serves to highlight your inferior thinking skills - anyone with half a brain cell would be able to see that GCSEs and A-Levels can be coached and trained for, and that they don't measure talent or skill to any useful degree.

Goodfella333
I wouldn't say i am extremely smart(probably just smart), so noone can say i started this thread to show everyone how smart i am. However deep down in every arts student, you all know the scientists are the smarter of the two. If anyone seriously feel artists are smarter than scientists(just to name a few: Newton, Fariday, Lord Kelvin, Pythagoras, Galileo, Einstein) seriously needs there heads tested.

You conveniently overlook some of the greatest philosophers and writers, to take two examples, who are all geniuses and equally 'smart'.
Sciences: stuff that we need to know about, in order to progress.
Arts: Stuff we desire to know about, in order to progress our culture, and mark ourselves as unique forms. We can live without this.

Through science, we can save lives, allow people to travel across the globe, now common tell me, can the Arts do that?
darkfairy
Without arts (langauges), can we communicate with those foreign people from across the globe? Without History, sociology, philosophy, can we not learn from the world's past mistakes and better the world? Scientists have to have philosophised about the world in order to come up with theories themselves in order to satisfy their search for the answers to their questions.
Without sciences the world wouldn't progress very much, but without arts I doubt the world would progress much either.

Very good point.

You people do realize that philosophy is the God of all subjects, and that science used to be philosophy?
Reply 49
darkfairy
I got an A in Maths even though I'm not a science person. It doesn't mean Maths is a joke. GCSEs are basic anyway, and many people can get As in GCSEs and not do much work. An A in English language GCSE doesn't mean that "a science person can switch to arts, and not vice versa".

I got an A in gcse english with poor grammar. However i can guarantee anyone they will not even pass let alone get an A in gcse maths with a poor mathematical skills such as addition and subtraction. This shows us that you can get an A in english(arts) with poor fundamental skills, however this would never occur in the hard sciences.
Reply 50
The Ace is Back
Very good point.

You people do realize that philosophy is the God of all subjects, and that science used to be philosophy?

It wasn't called philosophy it was called natural philosophy, which is a completely different subject. It was bascally just a combination of mathematics, metaphysics and logic.
Goodfella333
I got an A in gcse english with poor grammar. However i can guarantee anyone they will not even pass let alone get an A in gcse maths with a poor mathematical skills such as addition and subtraction. This shows us that you can get an A in english(arts) with poor fundamental skills, however this would never occur in the hard sciences.

The A* mark was around 65% for maths. So.. you could get an A with pretty crap skills.
Goodfella333
It wasn't called philosophy it was called natural philosophy, which is a completely different subject. It was bascally just a combination of mathematics, metaphysics and logic.

Natural philosophy was a branch of philosophy. Hence, science used to be philosophy.
Reply 53
The Ace is Back
The A* mark was around 65% for maths. So.. you could get an A with pretty crap skills.

How crap? as crap as not being able to add numbers?
Goodfella333
How crap? as crap as not being able to add numbers?

Not that crap. English isn't all about grammar. The fact that only 5 marks are awarded for SPG might explain why the GCSE was made for r*tards.
Reply 55
darkfairy
Actually, I know a fair amount of people who have got an A in GCSE Maths, inculding myself who sometimes need a calculator for the simplest of subtractions! I always make silly mistakes and forget to carry numbers etc. and went through the whole of GCSE Maths not fully understanding why some stuff was the way it was. I just learned the method and applied it to the question. This is what a lot of GCSE subjects are about anyway. As Ace said, GCSEs don't really test you properly on your aptitude for the subject as it's just a syllabus which you can learn back to front and get an A* in. It doesn't test your true ability or skill for the subject, just how well you can pass the tests...

Ever heard of a non-calculator paper?
Reply 56
I only voted Arts becuase i do English, Politics (yeh yeh social science lol but its still a BA at Uni) and Drama, not v sciency at all lol
Reply 57
Goodfella333

English GCSE is based around interpreting things, which does not rely on grammar any more than using MSN does. The maths calculator paper is comparable to this as you don't even need to be able to multiply 2 by 3 if you understand the more advanced ideas. The key difference here is that you have to learn stuff for maths, which you don't really need to do for English. You could interpret that as meaning English is easier, but GCSE results are roughly the same (more girls get A*s at English than maths, more boys get A*s in maths than Enligh).

Maths non-calc is slightly different in that you must know how to do things like add and subtract, but you could say that this is the same as having a vocabulary in English, which is needed to succeed even if good grammar isn't.
Reply 58
If you want to get sciencey about it, the branch of academia you prefer somewhat depends on your brain hemisphere dominance (left side is more to do with analytical tasks and processing whereas the right side is supposedly the area for creative thought).

As for which is "better" - define art?
Goodfella333

You should really stop relying on GCSEs to prove your point. As has been mentioned several times, they're far too basic to provide a decent comparison. I got a B in maths and AA in science. Am I a science person? No. Did I truly understand all (or even most) of the material covered? No. But does that mean maths and science are a joke? No, of course not, because I would have come unstuck if I'd taken the subjects at a higher level, just as I suspect you would if you'd taken arts A-levels. By the way, spelling, punctuation and grammar hardly count at all in GCSE English, just as basic skills like addition and subtraction hardly count at all in GCSE maths.

Maybe you didn't start this thread to show everyone how smart you are, but you certainly started it to fuel your own sense of superiority. I think it's you who needs your head examined to get rid of the insecurity and delusion that makes you think you're better than others just because of the subjects you study.

Latest