The Student Room Group

HUGE spider outside my window!?!?! (Venomous?)

Just discovered a hug spider hiding in the crack of my hall window - it's been there a long time as it has a strong funnel-like web which it crawls into.
It's really big and also meaty - making us suspect it's venomous!
I can post a picture later..
Anyway what should I do? I can't really just kill it/throw it outside. Would it be weird to inform maintenance/hall person of it? :s-smilie::confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pick it up, turn it upside down, you'll be able to tell if it's venomous if it has a soft spongy underbelly. If it is venomous then simply crush it's body between your finger and thumb, pop it in the bin, wash your hands and that should sort it out. If it isn't venomous then you can put it back or keep it as a pet.
Reply 2
Original post by marinaim
Would it be weird to inform maintenance/hall person of it? :s-smilie::confused:

Yes. It really would be :lol:
Take a pic of it.
Reply 4
It's "really big and also meaty"?
So why haven't you taken a picture of it???
Reply 5
Original post by Jjj90
Pick it up, turn it upside down, you'll be able to tell if it's venomous if it has a soft spongy underbelly. If it is venomous then simply crush it's body between your finger and thumb, pop it in the bin, wash your hands and that should sort it out. If it isn't venomous then you can put it back or keep it as a pet.

It's wedged right in a crack, it would be able to bite me waaay before I did that! and vom I screamed so loud when I saw it right next to me - must have woken it!

We think it's a tunnel web- they're common in Bristol and it has the same tunnel web thing..
I might go peek at it at night to see if it's shiny too

But omg how do I get rid of it

Original post by james1211
Yes. It really would be :lol:

Ohhhh :frown: thought so! I won't touch it!

Original post by LickingCarpet
Take a pic of it.

Original post by Paarish
It's "really big and also meaty"?
So why haven't you taken a picture of it???

I was busy running away and hiding lol. I have to go riding in a minute but upon return I will try to coax it out... :'(
Reply 6
If it's in the UK, it's unlikely to be dangerously venomous to a human. There the so called "false widow" spiders that we now get in the southern parts of the UK, Plus you're just as likely to die from a wasp's sting as you are from the bite of a false black widow anyway. Only the female is aggresive and even then will only bite if attacked, accidentally caught in clothing, or something like that. Leave it alone and it'll be fine.

Plus it doesn't sound like you're describing a false widow spider anyway.

Original post by Jjj90

Technically the vast majority of spiders are venomous, how do you think they kill their prey?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by River85
If it's in the UK, it's unlikely to be dangerously venomous to a human. There the so called "false widow" spiders that we now get in the southern parts of the UK, Plus you're just as likely to die from a wasp's sting as you are from the bite of a false black widow anyway. Only the female is aggresive and even then will only bite if attacked, accidentally caught in clothing, or something like that. Leave it alone and it'll be fine.

Plus it doesn't sound like you're describing a false widow spider anyway.

T

Technically the vast majority of spiders are venomous, how do you think they kill their prey?

There were a load of false widow spiders in my family's back garden in Lancashire back in November, just in case anyone in the north was reading your post and feeling safe. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Ronove
There were a load of false widow spiders in my family's back garden in Lancashire back in November, just in case anyone in the north was reading your post and feeling safe. :tongue:

Meh, that's still the south, to me at least :p: But if you were to split the UK into two halves, it would be in the southern half tbf.

Anyway, I heard about some sightings in Lancashire last year but they turned out to be false sightings (were just house spiders). I think the furthest official recorded sighting is the northern coast of Norfolk.
Reply 9
Original post by River85
Meh, that's still the south, to me at least :p: But if you were to split the UK into two halves, it would be in the southern half tbf.

Anyway, I heard about some sightings in Lancashire last year but they turned out to be false sightings (were just house spiders). I think the furthest official recorded sighting is the northern coast of Norfolk.

Meh, I trust my spider-identifying abilities. I got a disturbingly close look at one of them.

Edit: Plus they looked absolutely nothing like anything we usually get.
Reply 10
Well, it could be a giant house spider, pretty sure they're funnel webbed. Non-venomous, but their bite can pierce human skin and they're officially the fastest moving spider in the world. Sorry son, your days are numbered.

Original post by spiral87
Well, it could be a giant house spider, pretty sure they're funnel webbed. Non-venomous, but their bite can pierce human skin and they're officially the fastest moving spider in the world. Sorry son, your days are numbered.

This. Chances are it's just a female house spider. If it isn't in the way or actually in your house (I don't really know what you mean by 'the crack of your window') then I'd leave it. These little guys are brilliant & free pest control.
Reply 12
Kill it or just leave it alone, since its not inside its fine. There was once a spider in my living room so I threw the yellow pages on it. Poor bugger didnt stand a chance.
:console:

Maybe attack it with a vacuum cleaner?
Spiders give me the right shivers :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Maid Marian

Surely you consider this guy cute? Not all spiders have to be scary :tongue:

Original post by Mockery
Surely you consider this guy cute? Not all spiders have to be scary :tongue:

OH DON'T!!! :bawling: My skin is crawling!!

I hate you for this.
Reply 17
OH DON'T!!! :bawling: My skin is crawling!!

Here's his bigger, less disabled, brother.

I know a lot of people are scared of spiders, perhaps because some adults made a big fuss about them being around us when we were little, but they really are harmless to us and they have positive benefits, for example, they consume a lot of other insects in buildings that can be annoying. They are no threat in the UK.

I'm not being horrid about it, but I really would ask people not to be so cruel to them as sucking them up in vacuum cleaners. One harmless way to exclude them from your room or building (if you really can't bear them) is to put a jar or glass over them, carefully slide a piece of card under the jar and spider (do this gently so as not to break their legs or hurt them), then get a friend who can stand spiders to place them outside the door or window on to grass and release the card.

Please be nice to spiders - they are a valuable part of our wildlife. :colondollar:
Reply 19

That is horrifying.

Quick Reply

Latest