The Student Room Group

Any republicans/anti-conservatives in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chillaxer
Davis isn't exactly PM. Thatcher had to have elocution lessons and put on a posh phoney voice, Major probably appealed to certain working class tories and hence they got more votes of those people. I dunno, but there's nothing that could be described as egalitarianism. I'm talking about the level of importance/self-importance and formality, protocol and pomp related to English establishment, which is literally unrivalled across Europe and in the USA, where it is more wealth based and a californian sounds californian, a bostonian sounds bostonian, etc. In Britain a man representing the North East in a rural conservative seat will speak in plummy RP and in a patrician tone that knows whats best. Even over the whole Snowdonm thing in the US, at least there was soul searching and self-examination, we just have the same public schoolboys wheeled out to be deferred to. I think English people are fooling themselves, particularly those of the most conservative persuasion, to think there are not significant differences for the worse between us and the USA and the continent. It's almost like they still believe everythig about the way we do things is the key to why we are different and better in spite of the fact we no longer are, and even where it appears great there is a lot of deceit going on, the belief in the integrity and honesty above other nations is mad.
My persepctive is that if you are hardline freemarketer or neo liberal or social conservative, then the US is a better model, and if you're a social democrat then Eruope is.

I think your knowledge and understanding of American and European politics is extremely half-baked. These issues prevail in America just as much as here. Rural Pennsylvanians are mocked as ignorant country bumpkins. New Jersey is the Essex of the United States. And everybody hates the South, which is a popular place to ridicule. In France, Paris hates everyone and everyone hates Paris.

But the myth is our superiority and the problem our unwillingness to chnage. You may see as cursory acts, such things as removing the monarchy, but it isn't .It looms so large in the deferential psyche of Britian, it would be a domino effect and show people what else could change, and change their conception of themselves. Society comes down to inequality/inequality, educationala nd economic,

Uh-uh. This is all just your perception and it's not based in any way at all on fact.

but if we got rid of monarchy and people were citizens not subjects,

We are already citizens. And they are two words meaning exactly the same thing - 'subject' to the law.

that could precipitate a lot of good changes in the people.

Name one.

I would re-iterate that just the obsession over minute detail and unwillingness to overthrow anything, as the French and Americans did, is indicative of a tedious nature to English people, and whilst the Irish and Scots went to build America, and the French had their revolution and helped the yanks kick us out, I can't help feeling we are a bit lame, and self-satisfied.

Yes, and you know what? America's revolution was at its heart a very, very conservative and aristocratic one. They preserved as much as possible of the British system and did away with what they didn't like. In fact, their repudiation of the monarchy was a very conservative decision. Britain had been evolving since the 1660s into a parliamentary state, where the powers of the Crown were exercised by someone in Parliament. America's Founding Fathers objected to that as dangerous, and so formally re-established the old, medieval idea of a formal separation of powers, and made the Executive an elected office to bypass the danger of the Executive being beholden to the Legislature.

And the French revolution was a complete and unbridled bloody disaster from start to finish. The Terror devoured its own children and turned what was initially a sensible, gentle reform into a massacre. When it ended, France became a more authoritarian tyranny than it had ever been under the monarchy. Over 200 years, France has had seventeen upheavals and entirely new constitutions, the result being that France's modern constitution is less democratic, less parliamentarian and less effective than Britain's.

It's a rare thing, a successful revolution. Those that succeed are conservative, cautious ones. Radical ones quickly lose their way with horrendous loss of life, and within a generation the habits of the ancien regim return.

Don't ever romanticise the French Revolution.
Reply 21
Original post by gladders
I think your knowledge and understanding of American and European politics is extremely half-baked. These issues prevail in America just as much as here. Rural Pennsylvanians are mocked as ignorant country bumpkins. New Jersey is the Essex of the United States. And everybody hates the South, which is a popular place to ridicule. In France, Paris hates everyone and everyone hates Paris.

Yes, and you know what? America's revolution was at its heart a very, very conservative and aristocratic one. They preserved as much as possible of the British system and did away with what they didn't like. In fact, their repudiation of the monarchy was a very conservative decision. Britain had been evolving since the 1660s into a parliamentary state, where the powers of the Crown were exercised by someone in Parliament. America's Founding Fathers objected to that as dangerous, and so formally re-established the old, medieval idea of a formal separation of powers, and made the Executive an elected office to bypass the danger of the Executive being beholden to the Legislature..

Mate, I've just got savvy. It's about thinking bigger. I'm entirely aware of the above factors in those countries. I'm not painting them as utopias, i'm just saying they are different, and I differ from conservatives in that if we were to remove much of how we differ from both continental europeans and Americans, remaining distinct only in the sense of geography from which our individuality would flourish within a globalised context and within the power blocks of Europe, operating alongside the USA, i'd be happier.
You're really proving my point by how you argue and think. You're a typical conservative. Well infomed and educated about minutuae and thinking of every justification possible for why change must be opposed(that's lready your starting point-skepticism, and what could go wrong if change occured) even though there's no reason to fear it or believe that it would bring anything worse, no reason to believe taking a chan ce isn't worth it, and certainly no reason to believe we have something as unique and special and not needing change as conservatives beleive. Again, I think we are living off the past(just look at TV for god's sake, they are obsessed with the past and not the future), not willig to recognise these changes as what they could be in relations to our reduced status in the world, and how they'd represent us joining our continental and American friends more.
And the class system is different in England, Orwell himself commented on it, many continentals and particularly Americans have been incredulous at it. If you have more conservative or more social liberal politics, that's more a question of American or European politics, not p[reserving instituions which aren't wotrking as well as you believe. Like I say, indoctrination happens in America nd France, so why not to conservatives here. And they do laugh at us in Germany and France, and many Americans like Scots, Irish , Europe and hate us, you can look it up.
Reply 22
I

Yes, and you know what? America's revolution was at its heart a very, very conservative and aristocratic one. They preserved as much as possible of the British system and did away with what they didn't like. In fact, their repudiation of the monarchy was a very conservative decision. Britain had been evolving since the 1660s into a parliamentary state, where the powers of the Crown were exercised by someone in Parliament. America's Founding Fathers objected to that as dangerous, and so formally re-established the old, medieval idea of a formal separation of powers, and made the Executive an elected office to bypass the danger of the Executive being beholden to the Legislature.

Well obviously I'm not opposing conservatism in a blanket sense. It's entirely valid when you are attempting to preserve something worth preserving and oppose a harmful change. Maybe Irish republicans would end up with a marginally more religious/conservative country than England in one sense, the Americans have strong strand of social conservatism, but they still do oppose thing which I also profoundly oppose, and it is true that the level of class discrimination independent of wealth is pronounced here, to a degree that is alien to scots, Irish, americans and aussies. It's the form of conservatism that England has. It's the fact that I can go to other countries and be so much happier in them, that I feel alien in my own country, that it still reveres snobbery and cap doffing, and lacks humanity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Well obviously I'm not opposing conservatism in a blanket sense. It's entirely valid when you are attempting to preserve something worth preserving and oppose a harmful change. Maybe Irish republicans would end up with a marginally more religious/conservative country than England in one sense, the Americans have strong strand of social conservatism, but they still do oppose thing which I also profoundly oppose, and it is true that the level of class discrimination independent of wealth is pronounced here, to a degree that is alien to scots, Irish, americans and aussies. It's the form of conservatism that England has. It's the fact that I can go to other countries and be so much happier in them, that I feel alien in my own country, that it still reveres snobbery and cap doffing, and lacks humanity.

I can only repeat that this is nothing more than your own perception. As someone who was born and raised in a working-class home in a routinely derided town for being pretty crap, I've managed to get an education and a pretty good job without a whiff of discrimination based on my class, wealth or background. What you complain of is something every country suffers from. My wife is American and her experience is that the wealth gap and the relationship between rich and poor is FAR healthier in the UK than in the US.

And even then, you still haven't said how removing the monarchy would make any of that change.

Mate, I've just got savvy. It's about thinking bigger. I'm entirely aware of the above factors in those countries. I'm not painting them as utopias, i'm just saying they are different, and I differ from conservatives in that if we were to remove much of how we differ from both continental europeans and Americans, remaining distinct only in the sense of geography from which our individuality would flourish within a globalised context and within the power blocks of Europe, operating alongside the USA, i'd be happier.

This just seems to be 'if things were different, they'd be different.' You haven't said exactly how beyond 'why can't everyone just agree with me?' Sorry, but you have to deal with the people you have, not the people you like.

You're really proving my point by how you argue and think. You're a typical conservative. Well infomed and educated about minutuae and thinking of every justification possible for why change must be opposed(that's lready your starting point-skepticism, and what could go wrong if change occured) even though there's no reason to fear it or believe that it would bring anything worse, no reason to believe taking a chan ce isn't worth it, and certainly no reason to believe we have something as unique and special and not needing change as conservatives beleive.

I'm sorry, but healthy skepticism is the safest and best way of deciding something, and it's definitely not something unique to the British. The French, Americans and Germans do it just as much as us. Without convincing evidence for a change, there's absolutely no point in wasting time, blood, lives, energy or money in doing it. Look before you leap.

Again, you just seem to be frustrated that you can't win arguments and are instead saying 'why can't people just stop arguing against me?'

Again, I think we are living off the past(just look at TV for god's sake, they are obsessed with the past and not the future),

Have you EVER been out of the UK? Every country in the world can be accused of this.

not willig to recognise these changes as what they could be in relations to our reduced status in the world, and how they'd represent us joining our continental and American friends more

This is a meaningless statement.

And the class system is different in England, Orwell himself commented on it, many continentals and particularly Americans have been incredulous at it.

The class system exists but doesn't work in the way you think it does. The UK has economic classes, as does every other country.

If you have more conservative or more social liberal politics, that's more a question of American or European politics, not p[reserving instituions which aren't wotrking as well as you believe.

What institutions, specifically, do you think are not working as well as I believe?

Like I say, indoctrination happens in America nd France, so why not to conservatives here. And they do laugh at us in Germany and France, and many Americans like Scots, Irish , Europe and hate us, you can look it up.

Please, cite examples yourself.
Reply 24
I can only repeat that this is nothing more than your own perception. .

We could argue all day. I'll point you to this excellent article from someone who can articulate my point far better than me.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/will-self-abolish-monarchy-republicanism/
Reply 25
We could argue all day. I'll point you to this excellent article from someone who can articulate my point far better than me.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/will-self-abolish-monarchy-republicanism/

Good for pompous, pretentious Will Self. It does absolutely nothing in responding to any of my points, I'm afraid, and simply parrots your complaints about nobody agreeing with you. Why don't you try again.

I saw this in the comments which I put to you:

“Does the institution do anyone any harm?”. For those that do think the Queen is a demon, a standard bearer for all that ails our nation, a bastion of class distinction and down treader of the masses, I suggest go look in the mirror and ask “What did I do for Britain today?” If you think the question’s daft take the mirror down.
Reply 26
Davis isn't exactly PM. Thatcher had to have elocution lessons and put on a posh phoney voice, Major probably appealed to certain working class tories and hence they got more votes of those people. I dunno, but there's nothing that could be described as egalitarianism.

Gosh, that sounds like the sacrifices that every political leader in any country ever has had to make. Do you realise how unreasonable you’re sounding?

I'm talking about the level of importance/self-importance and formality, protocol and pomp related to English establishment, which is literally unrivalled across Europe and in the USA, where it is more wealth based and a californian sounds californian, a bostonian sounds bostonian, etc. In Britain a man representing the North East in a rural conservative seat will speak in plummy RP and in a patrician tone that knows whats best.

Absolute, complete, and utter nonsense. Not least that you’re understating the sheer scale of distance in the US, but you’re making utterly baseless claims and claiming offence for people who likely don’t feel offended by how their representative speaks. I think the person most guilty of class obsession here is you.

Seriously. The exact same criticism could be thrown at a French Delegate.

Even over the whole Snowdonm thing in the US, at least there was soul searching and self-examination, we just have the same public schoolboys wheeled out to be deferred to.

What the hell are you talking about? Snowden caused soul-searching in the US because Snowden was American. If you don’t think US politics is dominated by privately educated wealthy people, you’re deluding yourself.

I think English people are fooling themselves, particularly those of the most conservative persuasion, to think there are not significant differences for the worse between us and the USA and the continent. It's almost like they still believe everythig about the way we do things is the key to why we are different and better in spite of the fact we no longer are, and even where it appears great there is a lot of deceit going on, the belief in the integrity and honesty above other nations is mad.

I throw the accusation back at you. It seems you are concerned with overemphasising the differences between Britain and the rest of the world and also basing these differences on a made-up world within your head. Social class, economic distinctions, accent and dialect and private education are just as critical indicators of social success in France and America as here.

My persepctive is that if you are hardline freemarketer or neo liberal or social conservative, then the US is a better model, and if you're a social democrat then Eruope is.

Then you’re an idiot for being so either/or.

But the myth is our superiority and the problem our unwillingness to chnage.

For the last time, I have made no claim to Britain being superior. You have accused me of it, but without evidence.

You may see as cursory acts, such things as removing the monarchy, but it isn't .It looms so large in the deferential psyche of Britian, it would be a domino effect and show people what else could change, and change their conception of themselves.

And if my uncle had boobs, he’d be my auntie.

Society comes down to inequality/inequality, educationala nd economic, but if we got rid of monarchy and people were citizens not subjects, that could precipitate a lot of good changes in the people.

Name one. This is the second time I have asked you to do this.

I would re-iterate that just the obsession over minute detail and unwillingness to overthrow anything, as the French and Americans did, is indicative of a tedious nature to English people, and whilst the Irish and Scots went to build America, and the French had their revolution and helped the yanks kick us out, I can't help feeling we are a bit lame, and self-satisfied.

You forgot all the stuff I wrote about how the radical changes the French tried just caused them pain and misery, and that the American revolution was fundamentally conservative, didn’t you?

Basically, you automatically categorise any disagreement with your views as ‘ah, this person must feel Britain is superior, because otherwise he would agree with me.’ Why should it be that way? All your claims are based on your own, personal perspective, and I actually doubt you’ve even left this country to see how class and social strata works in the US and France. They have the same issues that we do. I would argue that in France the social structure is more rigid but it’s easier to move up and down a class, while in America it’s harder to move up or down a class but class feeling is something they dislike talking about.

You’re tilting at windmills. You’re criticising Britain for something that can’t be changed without an enormous fundamental worldwide change in economic production (which would affect France and the US as well), and removing the monarchy would not change it one iota.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending