The Student Room Group

Friend lied on his personal statement... advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
If the university ask to see his certificates, which they usually do, he's toast.

They didn't ask to see mine (I didn't lie by the way).
Original post by MidnightCowboy95
They didn't ask to see mine (I didn't lie by the way).

Props for your user name. Always a favourite film of mine.

Policy varies from university to university and most definitely can't be relied upon. For a music degree, where results of grade exams aren't communicated directly via Ucas as they are with A levels, they are very likely to want to see independent verification of results. Without it, as you can see from this problem, people can claim all manner of talents they aren't able to deliver.
Props for your user name. Always a favourite film of mine.

Policy varies from university to university and most definitely can't be relied upon. For a music degree, where results of grade exams aren't communicated directly via Ucas as they are with A levels, they are very likely to want to see independent verification of results. Without it, as you can see from this problem, people can claim all manner of talents they aren't able to deliver.

Thank you I can play the guitar and harmonica of the main theme. :smile:

And yes, my degree wasn't music related. I overlooked that detail
Thank you I can play the guitar and harmonica of the main theme. :smile:

And yes, my degree wasn't music related. I overlooked that detail

Excellent talent to have. If you also look like Jon Voight in a fringed cowboy jacket, that is also a plus. :wink:
Excellent talent to have. If you also look like Jon Voight in a fringed cowboy jacket, that is also a plus. :wink:

Apparently I look more like Kurt Cobain.... Im not so sure though..
Apparently I look more like Kurt Cobain.... Im not so sure though..

Well, he has his fans also.
Original post by oliviaadams
So, my friend told a lie on his personal statement and is really, really worried about it now. He was in tears yesterday. He has applied for a music degree at Kings, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Goldsmiths and Bristol. Everything, he says, on his personal statement is absolutely correct and the guy really loves his subject. However, he stated that he had already achieved his grade 5 theory and grade 5 piratical in piano when, in reality, he has only achieved grade 4 piratical in piano and is just about to sit his grade 5 theory. He also said that he is preparing for his grade 8 exam and intents to sit it before starting university, but in actually fact he's going to sit his grade 5. I play grade 8 piano though and he's better than me, so I can say with all honesty that he plays at grade 8 standard. He doesn't have an account but I want to tell him it'll be okay. Can anything happen? He has offers from Kings and Newcastle, but Edinburgh is his first choice.

They won't be able to find out his grade, so it's fine :smile:
Reply 27
IMO, best thing to do will be to withdraw the whole application and apply next year when he has his grades and NO LIES.
Reply 28
Original post by ThePoster
Why is he doing grade 5 if he's better than you? I assume you don't have to do them in order, I skipped grades 3&4.

Iirc you need to have passed Grade 5 Theory before you can take anything beyond Grade 5 in the practical exams.

Come again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Ooops.

I may have done the same thing by accident, only I'm not applying for a music degree. Will it matter?

Basically, I said I had achieved grade 4 in guitar, which I thought I did. However, now I've read that it comes with a theory test and certificate, neither of which I have, I think I might have been wrong. It was just a one line thing where I said "Other hobbies include practicing the guitar, in which I have achieved grade 4", when actually I've only done a practical test to get my National Unit (Scotland) using grade 4 pieces. An honest, genuine misunderstanding.

Do you think I will be alright? :confused:
Original post by WinstonO'Brien

I think they'll find out when they ask for something he can't deliver...:confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lipslikemorphine
I think they'll find out when they ask for something he can't deliver...:confused:

Did they ask for proof? If so, he is royally f*****
Did they ask for proof? If so, he is royally f*****

Did you even read the thread? :s-smilie:
It says in your post that you're writing this is reassure him that everything is going to be okay... I really wouldn't show him the replies...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you even read the thread? :s-smilie:

I read the intro. And I feel sorry for the poor guy that missed out on a place because of your friend
Reply 35
Original post by Razzamoly
Ooops.

I may have done the same thing by accident, only I'm not applying for a music degree. Will it matter?

Basically, I said I had achieved grade 4 in guitar, which I thought I did. However, now I've read that it comes with a theory test and certificate, neither of which I have, I think I might have been wrong. It was just a one line thing where I said "Other hobbies include practicing the guitar, in which I have achieved grade 4", when actually I've only done a practical test to get my National Unit (Scotland) using grade 4 pieces. An honest, genuine misunderstanding.

Do you think I will be alright? :confused:

The Internet is not helping me work out what you mean here. I looked up National Qualifications and National Unit Assessments, and couldn't find Music anywhere.
I read the intro. And I feel sorry for the poor guy that missed out on a place because of your friend

I have never been more confused in my life. :eek::confused::confused::confused::eek:
Sometimes you can get away with fabricating the truth, but this is a step to far. He is in deep trouble if they ask for evidence.
Please guys, no else put yourselves in this situation
I agree with everyone else on him needing to do the exams because they'll probably ask. Though i have to add that whatever happens is hes fault.

Won't they know he's lying anyway when they see the date on the certificate and realise that he did the exam after he applied?

Oh yeah, there's that. So he's screwed basically.
I have never been more confused in my life. :eek::confused::confused::confused::eek:

In short, he is stuffed unless he withdraws his application from all unis and reapplies next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending