The Student Room Group

Friend lied on his personal statement... advice?

Scroll to see replies

my memory might be a bit hazy, but I don't recall being asked for any certificates when I enrolled at university :dontknow:
Reply 41
To be fair, if he has to go audition at any of these universities, it's quite possible that they won't care about seeing any certificates - they'll judge on his performance at the audition.
This "friend" deserves all he gets for being an idiot.
Original post by Ronove
To be fair, if he has to go audition at any of these universities, it's quite possible that they won't care about seeing any certificates - they'll judge on his performance at the audition.

He has offers already from 2 of them.
Original post by Ronove
The Internet is not helping me work out what you mean here. I looked up National Qualifications and National Unit Assessments, and couldn't find Music anywhere.

It's a National Unit called "Music: Performing" at SCQF Level 6 (which is the same level as Higher). However, it is purely performing. The likely reason you can't find it is because it can be studied as part of a full Higher Music course or on it's own. I did it on it's own (I probably could have done the full thing, but for some reason, my Music teacher wouldn't let me even though I was capable...)

All the info I actually entered in terms of grades achieved (e.g. Standard Grades, Highers etc.) is correct. It's just that one wee innocuous line in my personal statement that I threw in without really thinking about that's now making me a bit nervous...
(edited 10 years ago)
Ohhh, that was a foolish thing to do. He should withdraw it. But it's February, why is he only panicking about this now? I thought the deadline was January
Original post by sr90
my memory might be a bit hazy, but I don't recall being asked for any certificates when I enrolled at university :dontknow:

Me neither. I brought them anyway. But I didn't lie on mine. :lol:
Reply 47
Original post by Razzamoly
It's a National Unit called "Music: Performing" at SCQF Level 6 (which is the same level as Higher). However, it is purely performing. The likely reason you can't find it is because it can be studied as part of a full Higher Music course or on it's own. I did it on it's own (I probably could have done the full thing, but for some reason, my Music teacher wouldn't let me even though I was capable...)

All the info I actually entered in terms of grades achieved (e.g. Standard Grades, Highers etc.) is correct. It's just that one wee innocuous line in my personal statement that I threw in without really thinking about that's now making me a bit nervous...

It's tricky. It sounds like it was an honest mistake, and you did play at Grade 4 level (probably), so I doubt you'll run into problems. Just be honest if it comes up.
My certificates weren't checked when I got to uni - although I think the 'preliminary' results for my A levels were sent on results day to them anyway automatically and since I was applying for a science subject they weren't really interested in seeing other qualifications such as my music exam results. I don't think these results would be automatically sent to unis - you would have to provide evidence of them yourself on arrival at uni if they asked for them - which is more likely to happen for a music degree I guess.
Personally, I doubt unis can be too bothered with checking certificates and so they may not actually check the offical documents. having said that, if your friend is clearly playing significantly below the standard he claimed to be then his music exam results may be called into question and he could end up in an even bigger mess.
I think the best thing for him to do would be to email the universities and confess to making a 'mistake on his UCAS form' and hope they don't realise he was deliberately lying. Unless they specifically require certain music grades it may not be a problem - and if it is it is better to face it NOW rather than having some very awkward conversations on arrival at uni.
I was asked for my A-level and GCSE certificates on enrollment as I applied with my A-level results, so the results weren't automatically comunicated to the universities. For a music course, it is very likely they will be interested in his music results (especially if they give him a points offer which he is allowed to use grade 8 towards) and there is every chance he will be asked for certificates of his music achievement on enrollment.

It is a massive risk for him to assume that they won't check out his music results- especially if he has written different things in his PS and in his qualifications section (which it sounds like he may have done?). There is a chance he could get away with it, but if he is discovered when enrolling, then there will be all sorts of problems for him to sort out. He won't be able to sort out another uni place to start in 2014- and he may even face problems reapplying. He will also have to deal with accomadation, if he has signed a contract he will likely have to pay at least a term's rent. Sorting out what happens with his student finance might also be difficult. This is a likely scenario, and it's not worth the risk.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I was asked for my A-level and GCSE certificates on enrollment as I applied with my A-level results, so the results weren't automatically comunicated to the universities. For a music course, it is very likely they will be interested in his music results (especially if they give him a points offer which he is allowed to use grade 8 towards) and there is every chance he will be asked for certificates of his music achievement on enrollment.

It is a massive risk for him to assume that they won't check out his music results- especially if he has written different things in his PS and in his qualifications section (which it sounds like he may have done?). There is a chance he could get away with it, but if he is discovered when enrolling, then there will be all sorts of problems for him to sort out. He won't be able to sort out another uni place to start in 2014- and he may even face problems reapplying. He will also have to deal with accomadation, if he has signed a contract he will likely have to pay at least a term's rent. Sorting out what happens with his student finance might also be difficult. This is a likely scenario, and it's not worth the risk.

All of this, seconded and thirded.
Sounds like a risky place to be in, could blame it on a typing mistake haha, but people aren't stupid and I doubt anyone would believe it. Honestly, they'll come a point when they will want to see his certificates for music, it being a music course and all. Best thing to do is declare himself now to each uni and see what happens, he might be lucky and still be given a place for September at one or more of his choices. Depends on how each uni will look upon him lying in his personal statement but I wouldn't risk not declaring it, going to uni, them asking for proof and him not being able to produce it.
Best face-saving thing I can think of is to withdraw the whole application and take a gap year, resubmitting a completely honest application next time, so that nobody investigates him this year who might remember him second time around.
Reply 53
Original post by oliviaadams
So, my friend told a lie on his personal statement and is really, really worried about it now. He was in tears yesterday. He has applied for a music degree at Kings, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Goldsmiths and Bristol. Everything, he says, on his personal statement is absolutely correct and the guy really loves his subject. However, he stated that he had already achieved his grade 5 theory and grade 5 piratical in piano when, in reality, he has only achieved grade 4 piratical in piano and is just about to sit his grade 5 theory. He also said that he is preparing for his grade 8 exam and intents to sit it before starting university, but in actually fact he's going to sit his grade 5. I play grade 8 piano though and he's better than me, so I can say with all honesty that he plays at grade 8 standard. He doesn't have an account but I want to tell him it'll be okay. Can anything happen? He has offers from Kings and Newcastle, but Edinburgh is his first choice.

I presume he would have had to play as part of his audition? Has he received a conditional or unconditional offer? In regards to saying he plans to sit grade 8, life gets in the way so it is perfectly acceptable not to have done that (and they would take that in to account) :smile: Also, is it like drama school auditions, where you get an initial audition and then a recall a few days/weeks later? If so they would usually ask to see certificates at the final recall
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
If he's already got an offer, it should be fine now :smile:
Original post by oliviaadams
So, my friend told a lie on his personal statement and is really, really worried about it now. He was in tears yesterday. He has applied for a music degree at Kings, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Goldsmiths and Bristol. Everything, he says, on his personal statement is absolutely correct and the guy really loves his subject. However, he stated that he had already achieved his grade 5 theory and grade 5 piratical in piano when, in reality, he has only achieved grade 4 piratical in piano and is just about to sit his grade 5 theory. He also said that he is preparing for his grade 8 exam and intents to sit it before starting university, but in actually fact he's going to sit his grade 5. I play grade 8 piano though and he's better than me, so I can say with all honesty that he plays at grade 8 standard. He doesn't have an account but I want to tell him it'll be okay. Can anything happen? He has offers from Kings and Newcastle, but Edinburgh is his first choice.

ca't you friend just do the exams as quickly as possible before university starts?
Reply 56
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Wasn't he warned about this? Lying is serious. A girl at my school was banned from UCAS for 3 years for both lying and plagiarising her PS.

Harsh
Reply 57
Original post by james1211
Not really.

It is. UCAS doesn't have the right to ban someone for 3 years. Universities can reject but a silly mistake and that? Too harsh.
Original post by gaining
If he's already got an offer, it should be fine now :smile:

No, it doesn't make it fine. He needs to actually have the qualifications he claims to have and as has been said often on this thread, in the case of music qualifications, where the results are not directly communicated to Ucas by the exam boards, he needs to provide proof when they check. Take a look at this post from a musician applying to Edinburgh, where this guy is applying:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2501614&page=31&p=46572645#post46572645
(edited 10 years ago)
The statements of what he is going to do like going to sit for grade eight is fine. People do change their minds and at worst, he can still apply to it.

Lying about what he's already achieved is quite problematic. If he's already going to sit for the theory one, that's fine as long as he passes it and has the certificate before they interview or make decisions.

The piano one though...

Quick Reply

Latest