The Student Room Group

Is 14 hours too much work for a alevel student?!?!

Whats your opinion and if you had this many how did you manage?
(edited 10 years ago)
14 hours what?
A day
A week
A fortnight?

Kinda need something to compare it too. =l
Reply 2
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Whats your opinion and if you had this many how did you manage?

It's a lot.

I was doing that for my first year of uni.
Original post by tehforum
It's a lot.

I was doing that for my first year of uni.

Really this is on a saturday and sunday, would you say id struggle with my alevels?
Reply 4
Really this is on a saturday and sunday, would you say id struggle with my alevels?

Do what works for you.
Can you clarify what you mean? Is this a one off stretch or are you talk per week? And if so,

14 hours per week of classes?
14 hours per week of homework?
14 hours per week of paid employment?

Regardless, for any of those 3 options, I'd say no it's not too much. You cope by managing your time appropriately
Reply 6

Just for comparison, I was frequently doing double (7am - 9pm) shifts on weekends during 6th form. So 28 hours every weekend.
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Can you clarify what you mean? Is this a one off stretch or are you talk per week? And if so,

14 hours per week of classes?
14 hours per week of homework?
14 hours per week of paid employment?

Regardless, for any of those 3 options, I'd say no it's not too much. You cope by managing your time appropriately

I have 12 hours of lessons per week so from monday to friday, and then the rest of the week for extra study/homework/revision, etc.

But i've got an interview for a job which is 14 hours saturday and sunday
Original post by Reue
Just for comparison, I was frequently doing double (7am - 9pm) shifts on weekends during 6th form. So 28 hours every weekend.

And how did it go for you? For example grades, getting into uni, balancing work? ^_^
Reply 9
And how did it go for you? For example grades, getting into uni, balancing work? ^_^

Worked out fine. I completed homework on weekdays in the evenings. Got decent grades and got into Uni.
Original post by Scienceisgood
14 hours what?
A day
A week
A fortnight?

Kinda need something to compare it too. =l

haha a week, saturdays and sundays :smile:
Original post by Reue
Worked out fine. I completed homework on weekdays in the evenings. Got decent grades and got into Uni.

I'm happy for you C:
Reply 12
Wut?
I self taught my A-Levels and worked 45 hours a week.

Man up.
Original post by TheBigJosh
Wut?
I self taught my A-Levels and worked 45 hours a week.

Man up.

Wow I admire you! What a levels were you doing?
Reply 14
Wow I admire you! What a levels were you doing?

French, English Lit and Lang, Geography
I thought this was a troll then I remembered this is TSR...:colonhash:
Depends on the student - some people need more time to get good grades.
I got As at A-level and didn't really do any work, aside from the mandatory stuff, until a couple of weeks before the exams. On the other hand, I knew a girl that did an extra 5 hours of independent work on weekdays and 9 hours on the weekends and she only got Bs/Cs.

Just look at what grades you're on track to get at the moment and compare them with the grades you want to get. If you're struggling at the moment then don't do it, if you're fine at the moment then you may as well take it. The worst that'll happen is that you get the job, can't handle the workload then quit.
Hell naw. I was doing 20 hours a week.
Reply 18
Original post by Student-95
Depends on the student - some people need more time to get good grades.
I got As at A-level and didn't really do any work, aside from the mandatory stuff, until a couple of weeks before the exams. On the other hand, I knew a girl that did an extra 5 hours of independent work on weekdays and 9 hours on the weekends and she only got Bs/Cs.

Just look at what grades you're on track to get at the moment and compare them with the grades you want to get. If you're struggling at the moment then don't do it, if you're fine at the moment then you may as well take it. The worst that'll happen is that you get the job, can't handle the workload then quit.

Oh really? (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2429909&page=15&p=43968915#post43968915)

Did you get a remark that turned that B to an A? If so, was your firm choice not willing accept you in light of this remark? You know, as you're currently at your insurance.
Original post by Steinweg
Oh really? (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2429909&page=15&p=43968915#post43968915)

Did you get a remark that turned that B to an A? If so, was your firm choice not willing accept you in light of this remark? You know, as you're currently at your insurance.

That was one harsh burn XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending