The Student Room Group

STEP exams?

I'm a year 13 student and have achieved grades AAA at AS in Maths, Further maths and economics, with over 90% in maths and further maths, I would like to study maths at uni after year 13. I have heard about STEP exams but am not sure, can I sit all three exams, is this extremely difficult, has anyone ever done this, do many people do this? Would 3 S grades in the STEP exams plus A*A*A with A*s in maths and further maths guarantee me a place at Warwick, Imperial or Bath for maths? Feedback would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
May I suggest that in general you do some research on uni offers for maths? Then you will get a better feel for who needs what from you. All unis vary in this area and you need precise answers set up in a table you can produce. For example who offers A*AA typically? Do you need A*A*A ? Who asks for Step and what grades ? Which papers? If you did further maths what difference does it make? The place to look is uni web sites and the maths departments. Start at Cambridge maybe :wink: and work downwards from there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by User153
I'm a year 13 student and have achieved grades AAA at AS in Maths, Further maths and economics, with over 90% in maths and further maths, I would like to study maths at uni after year 13. I have heard about STEP exams but am not sure, can I sit all three exams, is this extremely difficult, has anyone ever done this, do many people do this? Would 3 S grades in the STEP exams plus A*A*A with A*s in maths and further maths guarantee me a place at Warwick, Imperial or Bath for maths? Feedback would be very much appreciated.

1) Yes, you can sit all three exams.

2) Yes, it is difficult. To put things into perspective, it is approximately the top 2% of A Level Mathematics candidates who sit STEP. Out of those, less than half manage to attain a grade I and less than 10% obtain an S grade in any paper. Simply having A*s and >90% UMS is nowhere near sufficient to do anywhere near well in STEP. It requires significant preparation and demands a much higher ability than A Levels do.

Alternatively, consider the fact that Cambridge require grades of 1 in 2 STEP papers for entry.

3) People certainly have done this; I did for example. Not many people do this however; it is only really people applying for Maths at Cambridge who do all three STEP papers, and even then a relatively small proportion. I am reasonably sure that the number of people who obtain 3 S grades each year does not even reach 3 figures.

4) It would put you in exceedingly good stead for any university mathematics application. I don't know about guarantees though and would not like to say to avoid giving misinformation.

I think that it might be pertinent for you to have a look at some STEP papers though, just so you are aware what you are considering attempting to do.
Reply 3
Original post by DJMayes
1) Yes, you can sit all three exams.

2) Yes, it is difficult. To put things into perspective, it is approximately the top 2% of A Level Mathematics candidates who sit STEP. Out of those, less than half manage to attain a grade I and less than 10% obtain an S grade in any paper. Simply having A*s and >90% UMS is nowhere near sufficient to do anywhere near well in STEP. It requires significant preparation and demands a much higher ability than A Levels do.

Alternatively, consider the fact that Cambridge require grades of 1 in 2 STEP papers for entry.

3) People certainly have done this; I did for example. Not many people do this however; it is only really people applying for Maths at Cambridge who do all three STEP papers, and even then a relatively small proportion. I am reasonably sure that the number of people who obtain 3 S grades each year does not even reach 3 figures.

4) It would put you in exceedingly good stead for any university mathematics application. I don't know about guarantees though and would not like to say to avoid giving misinformation.

I think that it might be pertinent for you to have a look at some STEP papers though, just so you are aware what you are considering attempting to do.

OK, thanks for the feedback much appreciated. You say you did all three step papers would you mind me asking what grades you achieved and what uni you went to also what a level results you achieved. Also would I be able to achieve s grades through doing most step past papers, would this extra study fit in nicely with my a levels or is it difficult, how did you dons it in terms of content the way questions were written what is the hardest bit about it?
Original post by User153
OK, thanks for the feedback much appreciated. You say you did all three step papers would you mind me asking what grades you achieved and what uni you went to also what a level results you achieved. Also would I be able to achieve s grades through doing most step past papers, would this extra study fit in nicely with my a levels or is it difficult, how did you dons it in terms of content the way questions were written what is the hardest bit about it?

Grades:

Spoiler

Achieving S grades is hard. You need to have a certain level of natural ability and you need to work exceedingly hard. I spent the better part of a few hours every day for 6 months just doing STEP questions and papers. It is a completely different style to any mathematics you're likely to have done before and it takes practice getting used to it; you go from doing questions in less than 5 minutes to being good if you can finish it in less than half an hour.
Reply 5
Thanks for the feedback:smile: you say you did additional further maths, I understand this is sitting the remains 6 maths modules not taken in maths and further maths, did you school offer this as a course or did your school only do marsh and further maths and you sat the remaining exams at your school? How did you do this. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest