The Student Room Group

Simple Law Question

I do not have any qualifications in Law, just merely wondering about something...

If an employer were to send out an email to all the candidates that applied for a position, but by posting the email addresses of each candidate in the 'to' field (so that each candidate can see all the other candidates' email addresses) - would that be a breach of the data protection act?

Or simply a display of unprofessionalism?
Both, but assuming the breach was inadvertent and no individual suffered loss as a result of the breach, the employer isn't going to have to pay anything to anyone as a result. The Information Commissioner can take action but I think it would be unlikely to in this kind of situation, beyond perhaps sending a reminder email to the relevant data controller to be more careful in future.
Reply 2
Original post by Forum User
Both, but assuming the breach was inadvertent and no individual suffered loss as a result of the breach, the employer isn't going to have to pay anything to anyone as a result. The Information Commissioner can take action but I think it would be unlikely to in this kind of situation, beyond perhaps sending a reminder email to the relevant data controller to be more careful in future.

+1.

Thanks for the informative reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending