The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing an industrial placement?

Hi,

I am in 2 minds as to if I should do a placement or not.

I have quite a few interviews coming up for such placements.

Thing is, a lot of older adults and students have told me doing a placement is not the best thing to do, and in fact getting the studies out of the way is the best possible option. They say if I do that, then I could do a masters. They also say that doing the placement may dissuade me from going back to uni.

Thing is, the market is competitive. Without any experience, you are nothing! Getting a top first class degree is all good, but without experience it is hard. That is why I want to do a placement.

Please be honest, is it worth doing an industrial placement for a year? I want a very honest answer, as this may potentially be life changing.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by studymanhard
Hi,

Thing is, a lot of older adults and students have told me doing a placement is not the best thing to do, and in fact getting the studies out of the way is the best possible option. They say if I do that, then I could do a masters. They also say that doing the placement may dissuade me from going back to uni.

Thing is, the market is competitive. Without any experience, you are nothing! Getting a top first class degree is all good, but without experience it is hard. That is why I want to do a placement.

Please be honest, is it worth doing an industrial placement for a year? I want a very honest answer, as this may potentially be life changing.

Thanks

You're right, you've answered your own question. Maybe you need the confirmation, the market is really competitive and educational qualifs alone are not worth the paper its printed on, experience is everything.
Do the placement, i've got my placement secured starting in July.

It's not about just the degree as you rightly said, work exp is a major help for grad schemes and you may get offered a spot on the respective companies grad scheme before you even enter final year.

Why skip on such a fantastic chance to get ahead on employabilty? Go for it. :smile:
Make sure the placement is relevant to what you want to do, don't just take any job you're offered. I made that mistake and I've ended up getting less out of the year than I would have at uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Toki_Premium
Do the placement, i've got my placement secured starting in July.

It's not about just the degree as you rightly said, work exp is a major help for grad schemes and you may get offered a spot on the respective companies grad scheme before you even enter final year.

Why skip on such a fantastic chance to get ahead on employabilty? Go for it. :smile:

Thanks.

Yeah, I have a few interviews coming up.

I know this is going to sound weird and stupid but I think I am going to be scared in the workplace, due to my low esteem. Also, it would be the first proper job I have, and I got told off a lot when I did work experience about 5-6 years ago. I got told off for mucking around and not being a good receptionist LOL, but then again I was very young, about 16.
Reply 5
Original post by chrisawhitmore
Make sure the placement is relevant to what you want to do, don't just take any job you're offered. I made that mistake and I've ended up getting less out of the year than I would have at uni.

Thanks for your response.

It is something related to my studies.

Just a few questions

I am someone who is willing to learn. Will I get a lot of training? What happens if I can't do the task or cope? Will they fire me?

What happens if they fire me?

I am scared of the workplace, due to my last experience as a work experience student 5-6 years ago. I was 15-16 years old and I was very immature and stupid at the time. I mucked around and the employers hated me to bits. I did apologize to them recently but they weren't too happy, as they have children who are of similar age to me and are maturer, smarter than me. How do I let go of this fear?

Reply 6
Just a few questions

Do you get a lot of training?

Is a placement easy?

I am scared of the workplace due to my low self-esteem and bad history and experience at work experience. I was very young at the time and mucked around at the work experience place and my employers really hated me. I regret the things I did many many years back. How do I release the fear?

It is something related to my studies.

Just a few questions

I am someone who is willing to learn. Will I get a lot of training? What happens if I can't do the task or cope? Will they fire me?

What happens if they fire me?

I am scared of the workplace, due to my last experience as a work experience student 5-6 years ago. I was 15-16 years old and I was very immature and stupid at the time. I mucked around and the employers hated me to bits. I did apologize to them recently but they weren't too happy, as they have children who are of similar age to me and are maturer, smarter than me. How do I let go of this fear?

From my experience, you'll be given lots of help and training, and you won't be fired. Unless you are dangerously incompetent (I'm talking, repeatedly leaving hazardous volatile chemicals out in the open despite warnings incompetent) they'd just stick it out for the year and write it off as a minor loss. As for the fear, try to remember that you're not the same person you were then and make sure you don't screw around too much at first.
Reply 8
From my experience, you'll be given lots of help and training, and you won't be fired. Unless you are dangerously incompetent (I'm talking, repeatedly leaving hazardous volatile chemicals out in the open despite warnings incompetent) they'd just stick it out for the year and write it off as a minor loss. As for the fear, try to remember that you're not the same person you were then and make sure you don't screw around too much at first.

Just out of interest, have you ever done an industrial placement?

What are the tell-tale signs that a company is interested in hiring you? Also, how do you pick the place you wish to work for should you be given multiple offers from different companies?

Also, since I am dyslexic, it takes me a while to register what is going on. What happens if I can't do a task? That is what worries me
Definitely do the placement! Having one year's worth experience would put you ahead of load of other graduates in the competitive job market.

I don't understand what you've been told about the masters and getting your education out of the way as soon as possible. You could still do a masters even after doing an industrial placement. You may be behind people you started with, but it won't matter in the long run because you'll be improving your job prospects by doing the placement!

It can be hard going back into education after being in full-time employment, but if you love your subject enough and are dedicated enough to get a good degree, you will be fine.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by I love shopping
Definitely do the placement! Having one year's worth experience would put you ahead of load of other graduates in the competitive job market.

I don't understand what you've been told about the masters and getting your education out of the way as soon as possible. You could still do a masters even after doing an industrial placement. You may be behind people you started with, but it won't matter in the long run because you'll be improving your job prospects by doing the placement!

It can be hard going back into education after being in full-time employment, but if you love your subject enough and are dedicated enough to get a good degree, you will be fine.

Good luck :smile:

Hi,

Some people were saying to me that if I did do the placement, I would find it hard to finish off my final year at uni.

I have a few interviews coming up.

I was offered an interview for a job, however, I don't have all the skills they require. I fear that if I do get the job, then I may struggle.

Do I get training? How does the placement work? What happens if I can't do the task? Do I get fired as a result?
Reply 11
Hi,

Thanks

Ít can be rewardíng, a years salary, major work experíence on the c.v. , could lead to a graduate scheme offer..........another íssue ís you'll have to get a new group of fríends as you'll be a year behínd your old classmates
Reply 12
Original post by Iqbal007
Ít can be rewardíng, a years salary, major work experíence on the c.v. , could lead to a graduate scheme offer..........another íssue ís you'll have to get a new group of fríends as you'll be a year behínd your old classmates

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The finance bit and building on experience if my favourite bit of the placement.

I just have a few questions.

I applied to a job, was offered an interview, however I admit that I don't have most of the skills they are looking for. What happens if I get the job?

Do I get training?

What happens if I can't do a task? Do I get fired?

I suffer from dyslexia. What happens if I say in this in the interview?

Oh yeah, the friends bit. I don't have many friends admittedly. I have a best friend, and he wants to do a placement as I well. I hope we both get placements so we can meet up in the final year.
Reply 13
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The finance bit and building on experience if my favourite bit of the placement.

I just have a few questions.

I applied to a job, was offered an interview, however I admit that I don't have most of the skills they are looking for. What happens if I get the job? You'll buíls them or learn ít.

Do I get training? Generally Yes, you'll most líkely have a mentor of sorts and some have days where you spend tíme wíth other people on placements

What happens if I can't do a task? Do I get fired? Well, you ask for help and should have support

I suffer from dyslexia. What happens if I say in this in the interview? Ít should've been lísted ín your app, some do have health/dísabílíty sectíons, but agaín should be support avalíable

Oh yeah, the friends bit. I don't have many friends admittedly. I have a best friend, and he wants to do a placement as I well. I hope we both get placements so we can meet up in the final year.

Companíes can díffer on how they approach thíngs. Look at ratemyplacements to see if the companíes there and for revíéws.
Reply 14
Original post by Iqbal007
Companíes can díffer on how they approach thíngs. Look at ratemyplacements to see if the companíes there and for revíéws.

I guess the only way you will truly learn is by hands on experience. What you learn at uni doesn't mean much until you put it in perspective and practice.

I am keen on a placement, just feared. Worried that I may **** up.

What happens a few weeks into the job, they say in the interview you were good and you can't code in C#? I don't know how to code in C# and yet I am given an interview at a big company which say C# may be required?

What sorts of things will I be doing?

Have you ever done a placement before?

Stupid question, but can I get a girlfriend at the placement? Would you say its wise?

Can I get fired?

Just out of interest, have you ever done an industrial placement?

What are the tell-tale signs that a company is interested in hiring you? Also, how do you pick the place you wish to work for should you be given multiple offers from different companies?

Also, since I am dyslexic, it takes me a while to register what is going on. What happens if I can't do a task? That is what worries me

I'm about 9 months into my work experience placement at the moment. As for the questions, I really don't know what to say. I applied for a job, got interviewed and offered a job, which I took. I didn't really deal with the problems of knowing if they're interested or choosing between places. I would, however, recommend looking for somewhere with a fair few placement students and living with other placement students if possible, so that you've got some friends as well as colleagues.

On the dyslexia, be upfront about it, make it clear that you have that issue and they shouldn't have much trouble making allowances.
Reply 16
I'm about 9 months into my work experience placement at the moment. As for the questions, I really don't know what to say. I applied for a job, got interviewed and offered a job, which I took. I didn't really deal with the problems of knowing if they're interested or choosing between places. I would, however, recommend looking for somewhere with a fair few placement students and living with other placement students if possible, so that you've got some friends as well as colleagues.

On the dyslexia, be upfront about it, make it clear that you have that issue and they shouldn't have much trouble making allowances.

Just out of interest, is the placement you are doing related to I.T.?

Also, how do I get the job LOL. Got an interview next week. I facking want the job real bad. It means the world.

What interview tips could you give me?

Also, in the interview what are tell-tale signs that they like me and may hire me?
Hi,

Some people were saying to me that if I did do the placement, I would find it hard to finish off my final year at uni.

I have a few interviews coming up.

I was offered an interview for a job, however, I don't have all the skills they require. I fear that if I do get the job, then I may struggle.

Do I get training? How does the placement work? What happens if I can't do the task? Do I get fired as a result?

I didn't do a placement, because I couldn't get on one! A lot of my friends did them though, and from what I have heard, you do get a lot of training. As a university student, they don't expect you to be good at your job straight away, so they do provide a lot of support to help you get started, especially in the first few weeks.

Also, they spend a lot of time and money in recruitment. You wouldn't get offered a place if they don't think you would be good at it! They have been hiring students for years, they know what to look for.

At the end of your interview, you will have a chance to ask questions. You should ask specifically about the training and the support provided during the placement. It could help you decide if it's the right place for you.

Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Just out of interest, is the placement you are doing related to I.T.?

Also, how do I get the job LOL. Got an interview next week. I facking want the job real bad. It means the world.

What interview tips could you give me?

Also, in the interview what are tell-tale signs that they like me and may hire me?

I'm doing a pharma R&D placement. As for the interview, be relaxed, be honest and try not to seem too terrified. There'll probably be a bunch of 'can you tell me about a situation where you...' questions, try to talk about a variety of things (don't bring all your situations back to one hobby). As for telling whether they want you, there's never a sure way to tell as they might like the next guy even better, so don't worry until they call.
Reply 19
I'm doing a pharma R&D placement. As for the interview, be relaxed, be honest and try not to seem too terrified. There'll probably be a bunch of 'can you tell me about a situation where you...' questions, try to talk about a variety of things (don't bring all your situations back to one hobby). As for telling whether they want you, there's never a sure way to tell as they might like the next guy even better, so don't worry until they call.

True.

I have been to an interview before, where I did so well.

It was the water bottle that helped. Real talk, the interviewers were drinking water too and even encouraged to drink water from my water bottle. The guy was going on about me being confident apparently.

So at least, I know the water bottle will work. This time, I genuinely want the job as it genuinely related to what I really like. I'm not in it for the money and that it is a fact. The fact that I am given an opportunity to do something I genuinely loves means a lot to me.

What do interviewers like about an individual? Like the water bottle for example.

Quick Reply

Latest