The Student Room Group

2015 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A.Systole
You sound just like my mother when I told her :P

Well I did the BMAT two years ago.....NEVER AGAIN.

UKCAT isn't too bad... . Definitely going to start my preparations even earlier this time though.

Ooopsy, sorry :wink:
Oh dear, was it that bad? :/
Yeah me too, it didn't help that the test center I went to had computers with mice that didn't work very well and was one of those silly ball mice and kept getting jarred on the screen...was only three quarters of the way through the test that i realised the computer screen was touch screen! Mind you, a bad workman always blames his tools :wink:
WHere did you apply on both years?
Reply 21
Original post by B59891
Ooopsy, sorry :wink:
Oh dear, was it that bad? :/
Yeah me too, it didn't help that the test center I went to had computers with mice that didn't work very well and was one of those silly ball mice and kept getting jarred on the screen...was only three quarters of the way through the test that i realised the computer screen was touch screen! Mind you, a bad workman always blames his tools :wink:
WHere did you apply on both years?

Well my first year I didn't put enough thought into where I applied so my gap year was inevitable: Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Glasgow.

This year had a bit more thought but obviously not enough: Bristol, Keele, HYMS and Southampton.
Reply 22
Well my first year I didn't put enough thought into where I applied so my gap year was inevitable: Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and Glasgow.

This year had a bit more thought but obviously not enough: Bristol, Keele, HYMS and Southampton.

I did HYMS too, did you get an interview?
Might soon be joining you guys :'(
Reply 24
Original post by letsbehonest
Might soon be joining you guys :'(

What decisions have you got back so far?
Reply 25
Original post by B59891
I did HYMS too, did you get an interview?

Yep...thought it went alright as well :L.

Did you?
Reply 26
Yep...thought it went alright as well :L.

Did you?

I'm sorry to hear that :/

I got rejected pre interview. It was my top choice. I thought i had a chance - I worked out I was only 2 questions off getting an automatic interview!

interviews are always subjective to whoever is carrying them out anyway
Reply 27
Original post by B59891
I'm sorry to hear that :/

I got rejected pre interview. It was my top choice. I thought i had a chance - I worked out I was only 2 questions off getting an automatic interview!

interviews are always subjective to whoever is carrying them out anyway

Ah that sucks. The whole application process was messed up for HYMS though this year (just go look at the thread for the evidence) .
Reply 28
Ah that sucks. The whole application process was messed up for HYMS though this year (just go look at the thread for the evidence) .

I daren't look to be honest! I bet pure chaos is going on... people are understandably angry, but at the same time you have to feel sorry for the people that have to sift through the applications, it must be no mean feat, I'm sure they just want a way of reducing the amount they have to look at - everyone that applies is usually a good, strong applicant, so they have to help themselves I guess!
Reply 29
Original post by B59891
Well it's a relief to know it's not just me to be honest!

Thing is, I don't know how to get myself out of this, and I feel like by the time I start it'll be too late, but then that's obviously making me more stressed and unmotivated! It's a vicious cycle...

What subjects are you doing?

Phew, yeah am not the only one too LOl.

Am doing maths, bio and chem, you?
Reply 30
Hi everyone, I'm probably going to reapply this year AGAIN. Yep...8 rejections.

But being forced to do a gap year was great, so good being able to earn money whilst my friends are all complaining about having none at uni.

If I were you I'd start keeping an eye out for jobs, writing a CV. Also get in contact with anyone, family, friends, friends of friends who is in the medical industry, they'll most likely be more than happy to help you out; I got my job thanks to a family friend being a GP :biggrin: .

But also make sure you get those three As :smile:

Best of luck to everyone in your A-Levels.

Sad to hear, but it seems you're very determined. Thanks for the advice but am not looking for a job atm, am just trying to focus on the alevels now.

You applying this year then?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by B59891
What decisions have you got back so far?

2 rejections so far from Aberdeen and Manchester. Glasgow is waiting til the end of the cycle to reject me which is annoying.
I had 1 interview at UEA, so UEA is my only hope right now, but I totally screwed up my interview. It was disasterous
Reply 32
Original post by Whizzlearner
Phew, yeah am not the only one too LOl.

Am doing maths, bio and chem, you?

Biology, chemistry and German... german was a mistake!
Reply 33
Original post by letsbehonest
2 rejections so far from Aberdeen and Manchester. Glasgow is waiting til the end of the cycle to reject me which is annoying.
I had 1 interview at UEA, so UEA is my only hope right now, but I totally screwed up my interview. It was disasterous

I'm sure you did better than you think! good luck :smile:
Hi guys, I got my rejections, one after interview. Applied to imperial, UCL, Bristol and Liverpool and messing up section two of bmat wiped out half of my options :frown:

I plan to get some kind of medical job after exams finish, and maybe go abroad and do some extra volunteer work.

I want to reapply to kings and Bart's, does anyone with experience have any tips for there? We can do it guys!!
Reply 35
For Barts you need a really high UKCAT score and a high UCAS tariff. Make sure it's extra high before you apply.
Reply 36
Just thought I'd say hi - saw someone last year do this when I was in your position and I found it helped. So yeah, this is what you're reapplying for (re - picture below)!!! don't give up hope! I had four rejections last year but didn't give up, I reapplied this year and guess what... I have offers now! :biggrin: Don't stress about getting jobs as HCA or whatever, I didn't (did try though) it's not essential but hey, if you can then go for it, you'll probably get some useful experience from it. Try getting as much out of the gap year as you can, travel, work to save money, get more medical work experience, tutor to keep your knowledge up, do whatever, just don't sit around doing nothing!! Medicine is so competitive that sometimes I honestly do think it comes down to luck, however you can maximise that luck. Research admissions processes and apply to those where you have the greatest chance: this is helpful http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applying_to_medical_school_using_your_strengths and for those resitting, that's fine but check out this first: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_resit_policies a quick note for interviews, get an overview of what to expect using this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/what_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview and then arrange as many mock interviews as you can. Confidence is key and confidence comes with practise, same with any other exam, which is essentially what an interview is, a verbal exam. About being too rehearsed - if you're confident enough you wont sound it, however I don't really think they care too much about it anyway, I think they'd care more if you weren't rehearsed at all as it could convey a negative attitude with regards not caring or poor management in providing time to prepare, who knows. Anyway, GOOD LUCK and ENJOY IT - I know I have and will continue to till med school starts in September!!!!
Original post by NightStarz
For Barts you need a really high UKCAT score and a high UCAS tariff. Make sure it's extra high before you apply.

I've got a pretty good string of grades behind me, hoping my UKCAT will go well.
Right now I'm just focussing on smashing my a levels so that I'm not out before it starts!
Original post by tdx
Just thought I'd say hi - saw someone last year do this when I was in your position and I found it helped. So yeah, this is what you're reapplying for (re - picture below)!!! don't give up hope! I had four rejections last year but didn't give up, I reapplied this year and guess what... I have offers now! :biggrin: Don't stress about getting jobs as HCA or whatever, I didn't (did try though) it's not essential but hey, if you can then go for it, you'll probably get some useful experience from it. Try getting as much out of the gap year as you can, travel, work to save money, get more medical work experience, tutor to keep your knowledge up, do whatever, just don't sit around doing nothing!! Medicine is so competitive that sometimes I honestly do think it comes down to luck, however you can maximise that luck. Research admissions processes and apply to those where you have the greatest chance: this is helpful http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applying_to_medical_school_using_your_strengths and for those resitting, that's fine but check out this first: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_resit_policies a quick note for interviews, get an overview of what to expect using this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/what_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview and then arrange as many mock interviews as you can. Confidence is key and confidence comes with practise, same with any other exam, which is essentially what an interview is, a verbal exam. About being too rehearsed - if you're confident enough you wont sound it, however I don't really think they care too much about it anyway, I think they'd care more if you weren't rehearsed at all as it could convey a negative attitude with regards not caring or poor management in providing time to prepare, who knows. Anyway, GOOD LUCK and ENJOY IT - I know I have and will continue to till med school starts in September!!!!

What kind of extra experience did you have the second time round? Like what did you fill a year with!!
Reply 39
Original post by georgiahinch
I've got a pretty good string of grades behind me, hoping my UKCAT will go well.
Right now I'm just focussing on smashing my a levels so that I'm not out before it starts!

Barts don't look at grades when selecting who to interview. Yep that's the best thing to focus on right now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending