The Student Room Group

2015 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NightStarz
Barts don't look at grades when selecting who to interview. Yep that's the best thing to focus on right now!

Oh ok that's good to know!! Thanks 😊
Reply 41
Reapplying for medicine after receiving 4 pre-interview rejections. Which is due to the fact that I had a really low UKCAT, and didn't apply to places I could get in. I plan to do some volunteering in a hospital, care home and with charities also, which will give me more to talk about and as well as during more w/e and relaxing after a stressful 2 years!
Reply 42
Original post by georgiahinch
What kind of extra experience did you have the second time round? Like what did you fill a year with!!

To be honest I didn't have much extra experience, I didn't get any extra medical work experience. I continued my voluntary work and had various jobs in retail plus did a small amount of voluntary tutoring. Being unsuccessful the first time round doesn't necessarily mean that your application NEEDS improving (though I'd do whatever you can to improve it) ... it could just mean that you were unlucky. For me the main difference was that I'd already been through the application once so knew what was coming and was more prepared and confident! Also not having to juggle school work and interview prep made the process far more relaxed.
Reply 43
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post my blog site on here which I've just started, so far I have general advice on applying to Medicine and some useful resources linked. I was in your position last year, those who strive will become medical students eventually!

So here's the site www.fortheheadandheart.wordpress.com :smile:
Hi guys!

2014 cycle is game over for me too! I didn't get in. I got 3 preinterview rejections and 1 post interview.

Guess I'll be joining you guys in the 2015 cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Reapplying too, graduate with 1 pre interview rejection and 3 post interview rejections.

Does anyone know if it's OK to resubmit my 2014 entry PS (with some minor gap year adjustments, but mostly unchanged), or would I get flagged for plagiarism by UCAS? I feel that my PS is decent and doesn't warrant many changes.
Reply 46
Original post by priyanka44
Reapplying for medicine after receiving 4 pre-interview rejections. Which is due to the fact that I had a really low UKCAT, and didn't apply to places I could get in. I plan to do some volunteering in a hospital, care home and with charities also, which will give me more to talk about and as well as during more w/e and relaxing after a stressful 2 years!

Hi, this is my exact situation. What are you going to do this time round to improve your ukcat score?
Reply 47
Original post by ilem
Reapplying too, graduate with 1 pre interview rejection and 3 post interview rejections.

Does anyone know if it's OK to resubmit my 2014 entry PS (with some minor gap year adjustments, but mostly unchanged), or would I get flagged for plagiarism by UCAS? I feel that my PS is decent and doesn't warrant many changes.

What grades did you guys get and what was the entry requirements for the universities you applied for?
Hi, I am also in a similar position although I did somehow manage to get an interview for BSMS. In the summer some of my friends took the KAPLAN UKCAT 2 day course (which is ridiculously expensive at £330). I didn't take it because I didn't want my parents to spend the money but now I regret it more than anything. The people who took it say it made it a lot easier and they got just below 3000 in total and I got 2620. I would advise if you can scrounge the money together that you do it because it looks like it would pay off! that is what I am trying to do :smile:
Original post by Soph_Eleanor
Hi, I am also in a similar position although I did somehow manage to get an interview for BSMS. In the summer some of my friends took the KAPLAN UKCAT 2 day course (which is ridiculously expensive at £330). I didn't take it because I didn't want my parents to spend the money but now I regret it more than anything. The people who took it say it made it a lot easier and they got just below 3000 in total and I got 2620. I would advise if you can scrounge the money together that you do it because it looks like it would pay off! that is what I am trying to do :smile:

I did the course and I got 695..

Waste of money.. The book is good though, get it off a friend who went.

My friends who didn't go, got 740s+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by letsbehonest
I did the course and I got 695..

Waste of money.. The book is good though, get it off a friend who went.

My friends who didn't go, got 740s+

Posted from TSR Mobile

And many others who did the course got 700+...waste of money then? Nah
Reply 51
Original post by JAIYEKO
What grades did you guys get and what was the entry requirements for the universities you applied for?

I'm getting a 2.1 which is the graduate requirement for most med schools.

As for the whole Kaplan UKCAT thing, I don't think that's necessary. There's a plethora of preparatory material available online if you're willing to look for it, and you can subscribe to Medify for a fraction of the cost, which lets you practise on thousands of different exercises for each section of the test.
Reply 52
Best of luck re-applicants 2015. For 2014 entry, this page last year was my saving grace. I met some wonderful awesome applicants and got some great advice too. If I were you, just get as much feedback from your choices as you can and try not to dwell on the past (easier said than done), if you're this committed, you will get in I'm sure of it.

Hopefully in this cycle the UKCAT Consortium/Pearson Vue won't cock up the UKCAT exam so things won't seem as ambiguous with cut-offs etc.

All the best :biggrin:
Original post by The pencil one
And many others who did the course got 700+...waste of money then? Nah

What I am saying is you can get 700+ without going on a course that is going to cost you £300. I am pretty sure hundreds of people got 700+ in their UKCAT this year..

I did really like the resources they gave us and they were really useful. Teacher was engaging and fun. However, the course is overpriced and you can buy the big kaplan book on ebay for much cheaper, teacher only had avg of 700 despite having sat the UKCAT every year for the last 4 years.. I don't know what you think of that but I would have expected him to have had a higher avg

Bottom line.. the course doesn't guarantee you an amazing score. You can do great without it.
If you have the money to spare, go.
What's everyones plan for their gap year?
Do medicine re-applicants have to fully change their ps or do they just have to edit it a bit to add the gap year part?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wonder203
What's everyones plan for their gap year?

Working as a HCA hopefully! Yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adriana25
Working as a HCA hopefully! Yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah much the same, I've got a job as a clinical support worker but as usual the nhs is taking an age to let me know where it is and when I start! :frown:
also started looking at the dreaded ukcat stuff today and booked it :s-smilie:
Original post by jollygood
Do medicine re-applicants have to fully change their ps or do they just have to edit it a bit to add the gap year part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on why you were unsuccessful in the first place! If you didn't get an interview and you applied to universities which use them as a factor to decide who to interview, then it's perhaps better to re-write it. However if you had interviews and your interview skills let you down, (or UKCAT in my case) then it's up to you!
Original post by Wonder203
yeah much the same, I've got a job as a clinical support worker but as usual the nhs is taking an age to let me know where it is and when I start! :frown:
also started looking at the dreaded ukcat stuff today and booked it :s-smilie:

Ah yeah I booked mine the other day too :/ I just hope that I get the grades so I can reapply again! :s-smilie: so scary haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending