The Student Room Group

2015 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wonder203
yeah much the same, I've got a job as a clinical support worker but as usual the nhs is taking an age to let me know where it is and when I start! :frown:
also started looking at the dreaded ukcat stuff today and booked it :s-smilie:

I hope everything for you job gets sorted soon! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the reapplicant route- say if we dont get quite good enough as results, would this mean just resitting some modules during the summer of year 13- really getting your grades up for the 2016 entry cycle? and then applying in october 2015 and hopefully getting an unconditional offer at the end of things?

Would this put you at a disadvantage when applying baring (oxbridge) and doesnt that leave you with only like 2 months between getting your results and applying to do any other stuff for your application e.g. jobs as hca to enhance your application?

also is it worth doing the ukcat this year if you know that you wont have a chance when applying to medical schools? and the same goes for bmat, is there really any point in it when its itsnt going to be utilised ?
Hi guys! A successful 2014 reapplicant here.

I wish you guys all the best of luck for the upcoming year. Although you guys won't see it now, but in this gap year you guys will grow and mature so much. I, for one, can testify that; my gap year has been a really good learning experience and I am a much more mature person as a result of it (and hopefully a better doctor as well!).

All the best :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by tw15st3d
for the reapplicant route- say if we dont get quite good enough as results, would this mean just resitting some modules during the summer of year 13- really getting your grades up for the 2016 entry cycle? and then applying in october 2015 and hopefully getting an unconditional offer at the end of things?

Yes, you can resit some AS modules in year 13 so that you can reapply for 2016 entry (providing that you have 3As at A2). The offer(s) will be unconditional.

If you do not get the AS results that you were hoping for, you should still apply for medicine this year. Here's why:

- If you are planning to reapply in a years time, you have nothing to lose by applying this year as well.
- You can still apply with "bad" AS's, but you must have, at least, 3A predictions for A2.
- Most medical schools don't look at AS grades, just A level predictions.

Please note that a few medical schools do not allow AS module resists or have a set limit of the number of resists you can do (e.g. one AS module resit per subject).

Would this put you at a disadvantage when applying baring (oxbridge) and doesnt that leave you with only like 2 months between getting your results and applying to do any other stuff for your application e.g. jobs as hca to enhance your application?

In you personal statement, it is perfectly fine to talk about what you are planning to do. Hopefully, you should have some more experience (e.g. HCA job) by the time interviews begin in December-March.

also is it worth doing the ukcat this year if you know that you wont have a chance when applying to medical schools? and the same goes for bmat, is there really any point in it when its itsnt going to be utilised ?
Original post by Mehhhh

Thanks for the reply :smile:

but my school is weird so if i was to come out with aabb or even worse, they will not predict me one grade higher- they predict me what i get in my as levels ( no ex ceptions to that rule- its pretty iron clad)

With that being said- i would be potentially applying with aab or less as my predicted grades even though im 100% sure i can get really good a2 grades - and it even says that medical school wiki that there is no point in applying this admission cycle with predictions less than aaa- so in that case, should i not apply for medicine at all and not do the bmat this year because they wont be used in my 2016 application?
Reply 65
Original post by tw15st3d
Thanks for the reply :smile:

but my school is weird so if i was to come out with aabb or even worse, they will not predict me one grade higher- they predict me what i get in my as levels ( no ex ceptions to that rule- its pretty iron clad)

With that being said- i would be potentially applying with aab or less as my predicted grades even though im 100% sure i can get really good a2 grades - and it even says that medical school wiki that there is no point in applying this admission cycle with predictions less than aaa- so in that case, should i not apply for medicine at all and not do the bmat this year because they wont be used in my 2016 application?

Well, in that case you shouldn't apply for medicine BUT make sure that you emphasise the importance of AAA predicted grades to your head of year (whoever is in charge of predicted grades). Say something along the lines of "If you aren't going to predict me AAA, I will not be applying to university this year. I really want to study medicine and I will take a gap year if that is what it takes.". Hopefully, the head of year sympathises with your situation and predicts you AAA for the sake of you not wasting your time by not applying to university this year (not to mention that it'll reflect badly on the sixth form/college - *cough* lower percentage of students going to university = bad sixthform/college *cough*.

Try using your GCSE grades, work experience done/planned and/or UKCAT score (if you do end up sitting the UKCAT) to persuade the person(s) in charge that you are taking your medicine application seriously and that you are desperate for the AAA prediction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys!

How did your exams go?

I haven't even started thinking about UCAS yet
Reply 67
Original post by letsbehonest
Hey guys!

How did your exams go?

I haven't even started thinking about UCAS yet

My after exam reactions:

AQA Chem 4 = Hmmm, that actually went very well. Maybe I can get an A* in chemistry!

Edexcel Phy 4 = That was a good paper, not as nice as Chem 4 though - probably an A.

Edexcel Bio 4 = Same difficulty as Phy 4 pretty much - felt that it went well.

AQA Chem 5 = Another great chemistry paper. Woooo!

Edexcel Phy 5 = Better than unit 4. I have a good feeling about Physics.

Edexcel Bio 5 = ARGHHHHHHHH, WAY TO RUIN A GREAT STREAK! BLOODY HATE THIS UNIT. HOPEFULLY UNIT 4 AND 6 MAKE UP FOR IT.

My final exam was yesterday so I'm relaxing at the moment. I will begin to research my uni choices soon and start looking for a job.

How did your exams go? (hopefully well, :smile:)
Original post by Mehhhh
My after exam reactions:

How did your exams go? (hopefully well, :smile:)

That's good to hear!

Bio 4/5 were ok, probs A*/A borderline, depends on edexcels wild grade boundaries

Chem 4/5 - chem 4 was evil but chem 5 was nice, hope I haven't done too badly in chem 4

C3 was quite nice, C4 was a devil paper, and I am yet to sit S2, but I will probably get an A overall.

I am confident that I will get AAA but I really want at least 1 A* ^_^

I've started looking for jobs too! It is so difficult getting a job though because I have never had an actual paid job.

Why didn't your 2014 application work out if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 69
That's good to hear!

Bio 4/5 were ok, probs A*/A borderline, depends on edexcels wild grade boundaries

Chem 4/5 - chem 4 was evil but chem 5 was nice, hope I haven't done too badly in chem 4

C3 was quite nice, C4 was a devil paper, and I am yet to sit S2, but I will probably get an A overall.

I am confident that I will get AAA but I really want at least 1 A* ^_^

I've started looking for jobs too! It is so difficult getting a job though because I have never had an actual paid job.

Why didn't your 2014 application work out if you don't mind me asking?

I'm glad that this exam season has been going well for you - for us - especially after the horrid med-app season.

I never had a paid job either so it'll be very difficult for me to find a job in healthcare due to the high level of competition (according to what I've read on here at least).

My 2014 application went well at first; Good UKCAT score, got valuable work experience and volunteering... but then it went downhill from there. I flopped one section of the BMAT (the other two sections were good) = pre-interview rejection from imperial. I then got 3 interview invites - bombed one interview, the other two were "okay" but I slipped up on some questions/stations - followed by 3 rejections. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mehhhh
I'm glad that this exam season has been going well for you - for us - especially after the horrid med-app season.

I never had a paid job either so it'll be very difficult for me to find a job in healthcare due to the high level of competition (according to what I've read on here at least).

My 2014 application went well at first; Good UKCAT score, got valuable work experience and volunteering... but then it went downhill from there. I flopped one section of the BMAT (the other two sections were good) = pre-interview rejection from imperial. I then got 3 interview invites - bombed one interview, the other two were "okay" but I slipped up on some questions/stations - followed by 3 rejections. :frown:

Same I've never had a job either.
Sounds like you had a good application!

Are you planning on doing the BMAT again?
Reply 71
Same I've never had a job either.
Sounds like you had a good application!

Are you planning on doing the BMAT again?

Yep, I'll be doing the BMAT again as I'll have MUCH more time this year to revise for it. More unis such as bsms and leeds are going to be using the BMAT for 2015 entry so it will be a bit more common for applicants to sit the BMAT than usual.

I'm just really worried about any future interviews as I know that I will have to step up my game.

Are you considering to sit the BMAT this year?
Original post by Mehhhh
Yep, I'll be doing the BMAT again as I'll have MUCH more time this year to revise for it. More unis such as bsms and leeds are going to be using the BMAT for 2015 entry so it will be a bit more common for applicants to sit the BMAT than usual.

I'm just really worried about any future interviews as I know that I will have to step up my game.

Are you considering to sit the BMAT this year?

Not sure whether I want to go to any of the BMAT unis.
I was kind of considering UCL but I think If I stayed in London my mum would make me live at home which I don't want to do!

I haven't really made my mind up about it yet.
Guess I should :bump:. First time applicant here.
Original post by keromedic
Guess I should :bump:. First time applicant here.

What are you planning on doing during your gap year? ^_^
What are you planning on doing during your gap year? ^_^

Working in a domiciliary care company.
Piano summer school in August.
Hopefully volunteering with my local hospital and/or Samaritans. You?
Original post by keromedic
Working in a domiciliary care company.
Piano summer school in August.
Hopefully volunteering with my local hospital and/or Samaritans. You?

Cool!

Going to Australia this summer with family :smile:
Need to find a job in a caring environment
Going to Spain with my friends for a week after results day ^_^
Continue working at a local tuition centre in September
I also have a hospital placement lined up but I still need to sort all the documentation out urgh -__-

Not sure what else.. I feel really unprepared!
Wow I miss revision already, I feel really unproductive not learning anything, I really don't know how I'll survive this gap year :frown:
Original post by Lethargic
Wow I miss revision already, I feel really unproductive not learning anything, I really don't know how I'll survive this gap year :frown:

Yeah it's going to be so weird not learning for a year, which we've been doing for so long! :/
Original post by priyanka44
Yeah it's going to be so weird not learning for a year, which we've been doing for so long! :/

Yeah tell me about it! :/

Also I really want to start reading some interesting scientific books, does anyone have any suggestions? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending