The Student Room Group

2015 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lethargic
Yeah tell me about it! :/

Also I really want to start reading some interesting scientific books, does anyone have any suggestions? :smile:

Not scientific, but definitely worth reading; Direct Red. It's a short, easy-to-read book detailing an ENT surgeon's story into how she progressed in her medical career.
Original post by Mehhhh
Not scientific, but definitely worth reading; Direct Red. It's a short, easy-to-read book detailing an ENT surgeon's story into how she progressed in her medical career.

Thanks! I'll have a look for it.
Any other suggestions? They don't necessarily have to be 'scientific' as such, just thought provoking/generally interesting :smile:
Hey guys! I am also a reapplicant for medicine (for the 2015 cycle)
i got 4 rejections, and had an interview at Bristol
i was just wondering what kind of things others are doing during this time, do we have to get medically related job or will any kind of paid work do? Also, when is the best time to start preparing for the ukcat and how? And does the personal statement have to be completely different too?
i just hope I get the grades now, and good luck to everyone else!
Hey all, I'm a successful re-applicant for medicine, so super excited to be starting at Manchester in Sept. I also blog (see sig) and all that jazz so that might come in handy. Other than that, wish you all the best and know that this year will be worth it.
Has anyone started looking for a job related to health care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Hi everyone,

I am also looking to re-apply like pretty much everyone else here, but just had a question as to which medical universities has the highest gap year intake, so basically which universities would I have the best chances when applying to, following the gap year?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Hello everyone. I'm going to be reapplying for Medicine. Got 2 interviews and 4 rejections for 2014 entry, sadly. From Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge and Imperial. Didn't do the UKCAT last year but I'm going to do it this year, as well as the BMAT again.
Not sure what I'm gong to do all year during my gap year, but it'll most probably be travel (if I have the money) and work. I've heard many Medicine reapplicants say how unsatisfactory and wasteful their gap year was and I'm determined not to let mine be the same!
You don't need to be re applicants.. you can apply for medicine this summer in the EU.. for more information or if you have any questions regarding the process don't hesitate to message me
Original post by ameelia22
Hey all, I'm a successful re-applicant for medicine, so super excited to be starting at Manchester in Sept. I also blog (see sig) and all that jazz so that might come in handy. Other than that, wish you all the best and know that this year will be worth it.

Well done!
Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions..

What happened last cycle? Why didn't you get in? What changes did you make?
Did you have fun during your gap year?
What's it like not having your friends around? Most of them moving on.. going to uni etc? Were you lonely?
Original post by well in the dark
Hello everyone. I'm going to be reapplying for Medicine. Got 2 interviews and 4 rejections for 2014 entry, sadly. From Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge and Imperial. Didn't do the UKCAT last year but I'm going to do it this year, as well as the BMAT again.
Not sure what I'm gong to do all year during my gap year, but it'll most probably be travel (if I have the money) and work. I've heard many Medicine reapplicants say how unsatisfactory and wasteful their gap year was and I'm determined not to let mine be the same!

Are you thinking of doing the BMAT again? How did it go last time?

I chickened out last year, but I think I might give it a shot.

Also which ones did you get interviews from?
Original post by jollygood
Has anyone started looking for a job related to health care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you're a reapplicant too! I thought you were in year 11/12 or something looking for work experience lol :smile:

I've started looking but I'm still 17 so it's kind of difficult getting a job in that kind of field
Original post by letsbehonest
Well done!
Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions..

What happened last cycle? Why didn't you get in? What changes did you make?

Have a look at at my applicant profiles from first time and second time, also in my sig.

Did you have fun during your gap year?

I worked... a lot. Sometimes I hated it, (most notably in the beginning) and now I love it. I learnt to drive, take road trips frequently now, saw my friends at their uni, learnt how to be a solo warrior (metaphorically, I think I turned into this like mighty independent black woman who don't need no man...or anyone for that matter. I'm going to Ibiza, Budapest and Italy over summer.
What's it like not having your friends around? Most of them moving on.. going to uni etc? Were you lonely?

This year can be really testing. You will find yourself lying in bed at 2am looking at all your friends posting pictures on instagram of this "mad" party they went to, or seeing them at formals and photos of them with their new flatmates and you will put on Whitney Houstons It's Not Fair but It's Okay and sing loud but the 90% of the time, if you keep busy - time just flies. Throw yourself into work - this will probably be the only time ever in your life everything you earn is yours without any responsibility, direct debits or other adult crap. You have a whole year to better yourself and do what you like with no real responsibility. That thought alone should be enough to liberate you.
Reply 92
Arghhh, I need some help with looking for healthcare assistant jobs. It seems that every job (using the NHS JOBS website) requires either "X months ward experience" or "you need to be a student nurse", :frown:.

Are there certain key words that I should be looking for/avoiding when searching for a job? (Keep in mind that I am 18, I have no clinical experience and I've never been employed in the past). Can anybody give me any useful tips that may help me in my search/application?

Thanks,
Original post by Mehhhh
Arghhh, I need some help with looking for healthcare assistant jobs. It seems that every job (using the NHS JOBS website) requires either "X months ward experience" or "you need to be a student nurse", :frown:.

Are there certain key words that I should be looking for/avoiding when searching for a job? (Keep in mind that I am 18, I have no clinical experience and I've never been employed in the past). Can anybody give me any useful tips that may help me in my search/application?

Thanks,

I am having the same problem in applying for jobs. It would be great of someone could help us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you thinking of doing the BMAT again? How did it go last time?

I chickened out last year, but I think I might give it a shot.

Also which ones did you get interviews from?

Got interviews from Cambridge and Birmingham.
I did awfully on the BMAT last year. Got way below the average score in the 1st and 2nd sections for that year. Don't even know why, I thought I had decently prepped. But yep I'm going to give it another shot this year
I did awfully on the BMAT last year. Got way below the average score in the 1st and 2nd sections for that year. Don't even know why, I thought I had decently prepped. But yep I'm going to give it another shot this year

Cool!

What are your plans for your gap year?

Oh god the BMAT!! I seriously bombed it too, thinking of trying it again having studied chem/bio at A2 level!! Think of how much more time we have to prepare, AND we know what the day is like.
Hey guys, I'm on the reapplicant bandwagon too! I've planned some volunteering during the week, am travelling to Ghana in a few weeks for some outreach work too. I've applied for some medical jobs and have an interview for a ward assistant, no idea how it'll go!!

Still trying to work out which unis to apply for, but mainly am anxious about being at home whilst all of my friends to to uni!! Anyone got any advice on surviving haha??
Cool!

What are your plans for your gap year?

Currently focussing on the UKCAT and BMAT. I'll be volunteering also, of course, at a few different places (though I have still to decide on that for sure). I'll travel a bit as well, later on. But yep currently just focussing on the UKCAT and BMAT. Hbu?

Edit: I'm also going to read some medicine-y books over the year. Physiology, neuroscience, that sort of thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by georgiahinch
Oh god the BMAT!! I seriously bombed it too, thinking of trying it again having studied chem/bio at A2 level!! Think of how much more time we have to prepare, AND we know what the day is like.

Last time I did it I thought I'd prepared very well and would do okay but I did so very awfully that I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much this time heh. But yeah, you're right, having gone through it once it's bound to feel easier and more familiar the second time round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending