The Student Room Group

2015 Medicine Re-Applicants

Hi everyone, thought I would start this thread for applicants who had rejections. So, post away as we can all discuss what we can do in our gap years, give ourselves advice and encouragement. :biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Whizzlearner
Hi everyone, thought I would start this thread for applicants who had rejections. So, post away as we can all discuss what we can do in our gap years, give ourselves advice and encouragement. :biggrin::biggrin:

Hello! I have received four rejections (all with no interview) and am dreading next year! At the minute I'm just really worried about my grades. Where did you apply?
Reply 2
Original post by B59891
Hello! I have received four rejections (all with no interview) and am dreading next year! At the minute I'm just really worried about my grades. Where did you apply?

Same here :frown: and I just have no motivation whatsoever for the upcoming exams. Applied to UCL, Imperial, keele and King's, you?
Reply 3
Same here :frown: and I just have no motivation whatsoever for the upcoming exams. Applied to UCL, Imperial, keele and King's, you?

HYMS, Newcastle, Durham and Sheffield. It's so disheartening, I can't stand it when all the people around me are getting offers for various other courses like History etc, they seem to have it so easy! They practically walk into offers!
What are your plans for next year?

I got an offer for biomedical sciences at newcastle, but I don't think I will take it...not sure whether this is a mistake or not!
Reply 4
Original post by B59891
HYMS, Newcastle, Durham and Sheffield. It's so disheartening, I can't stand it when all the people around me are getting offers for various other courses like History etc, they seem to have it so easy! They practically walk into offers!
What are your plans for next year?

I got an offer for biomedical sciences at newcastle, but I don't think I will take it...not sure whether this is a mistake or not!

Haha that's actually true, all other courses seem easy in comparison to medicine. Ermm, I was actually looking at universities abroad, especially Romania, China. But I might try do some work experience. You can transfer to medicine at Newcastle but it's so competitive and its not worth it. If you have a passion for medicine, don't let the unis stop you from pursuing it. What are your plans for the gap year?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Haha that's actually true, all other courses seem easy in comparison to medicine. Ermm, I was actually looking at universities abroad, especially Romania, China. But I might try do some work experience. You can transfer to medicine at Newcastle but it's so competitive and its not worth it. If you have a passion for medicine, don't let the unis stop you from pursuing it. What are your plans for the gap year?

Yeah it seems like a bit of a risk somehow. Well I'm thinking of just getting a healthcare assistant job, and then once I know the outcome of my application again this time next year I'd like to go to Germany or Paris (who knows, maybe both!) and work there for a bit.
Romania and China?! Wow that'd be quite an experience! To do medicine still? Do they do some courses in english, or do you know the languages?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by B59891
Yeah it seems like a bit of a risk somehow. Well I'm thinking of just getting a healthcare assistant job, and then once I know the outcome of my application again this time next year I'd like to go to Germany or Paris (who knows, maybe both!) and work there for a bit.
Romania and China?! Wow that'd be quite an experience! To do medicine still? Do they do some courses in english, or do you know the languages?

Did you already start looking for a hca job? Yepp,I have friends that go there and they say its superb, you can always come back here and do foundation years. And yes, they have courses specifically in English for international students. And I don't know the languages, but its a chance to study medicine abroad.
Reply 7
Did you already start looking for a hca job? Yepp,I have friends that go there and they say its superb, you can always come back here and do foundation years. And yes, they have courses specifically in English for international students. And I don't know the languages, but its a chance to study medicine abroad.

Yeah I have, unfortunately the jobs that are being advertised at the minute are due to start dead on in exams, so I'll have to wait a few months to properly start looking. Sounds like you got it all sorted! :smile: Not many people take an opportunity like that :smile:
What do your family think to you going abroad?
Reply 8
Original post by B59891
Yeah I have, unfortunately the jobs that are being advertised at the minute are due to start dead on in exams, so I'll have to wait a few months to properly start looking. Sounds like you got it all sorted! :smile: Not many people take an opportunity like that :smile:
What do your family think to you going abroad?

They don't really mind, they want me as long as it's medicine. But I might give it another shot this year. And yeah, hca jobs are very difficult to get hold of. Just focusing on exams now is the hard thing due to lack of motivation. How you getting on?
Reply 9
They don't really mind, they want me as long as it's medicine. But I might give it another shot this year. And yeah, hca jobs are very difficult to get hold of. Just focusing on exams now is the hard thing due to lack of motivation. How you getting on?

If you didn't give it another shot what other course would you do?

Terribly! I can't stop procrastinating... it all seems like too much pressure, you know? It feels like the exams are too close too :/ I just feel really panicky, but instead of making me do the work, the panic makes my brain feel all irritated and unable to focus! I'm a big worrier :s-smilie:

How about you?
Reply 10
Original post by B59891
If you didn't give it another shot what other course would you do?

Terribly! I can't stop procrastinating... it all seems like too much pressure, you know? It feels like the exams are too close too :/ I just feel really panicky, but instead of making me do the work, the panic makes my brain feel all irritated and unable to focus! I'm a big worrier :s-smilie:

How about you?

Oh my days, you're exactly like me. Like some days I do nothing at all. There is no motivation at all whatsoever.
Reply 11
Oh my days, you're exactly like me. Like some days I do nothing at all. There is no motivation at all whatsoever.

Well it's a relief to know it's not just me to be honest!

Thing is, I don't know how to get myself out of this, and I feel like by the time I start it'll be too late, but then that's obviously making me more stressed and unmotivated! It's a vicious cycle...

What subjects are you doing?
Reply 12
Hi everyone, I'm probably going to reapply this year AGAIN. Yep...8 rejections.

But being forced to do a gap year was great, so good being able to earn money whilst my friends are all complaining about having none at uni.

If I were you I'd start keeping an eye out for jobs, writing a CV. Also get in contact with anyone, family, friends, friends of friends who is in the medical industry, they'll most likely be more than happy to help you out; I got my job thanks to a family friend being a GP :biggrin: .

But also make sure you get those three As :smile:

Best of luck to everyone in your A-Levels.
Reply 13
Original post by A.Systole
Hi everyone, I'm probably going to reapply this year AGAIN. Yep...8 rejections.

But being forced to do a gap year was great, so good being able to earn money whilst my friends are all complaining about having none at uni.

If I were you I'd start keeping an eye out for jobs, writing a CV. Also get in contact with anyone, family, friends, friends of friends who is in the medical industry, they'll most likely be more than happy to help you out; I got my job thanks to a family friend being a GP :biggrin: .

But also make sure you get those three As :smile:

Best of luck to everyone in your A-Levels.

What job did you manage to get?
I commend your resilience!
Reply 14
Original post by B59891
What job did you manage to get?
I commend your resilience!

Well it started off as just a summer job doing admin in the GP practice, then it became a more permanent position after I got my 3 As. Then just before Christmas I was given the chance to become a phlebotomist so I now spend at least three mornings a week taking blood from people :biggrin:

Well I can't really imagine myself being happy doing anything else other than Medicine. I'll get there one day!
Reply 15
Well it started off as just a summer job doing admin in the GP practice, then it became a more permanent position after I got my 3 As. Then just before Christmas I was given the chance to become a phlebotomist so I now spend at least three mornings a week taking blood from people :biggrin:

Well I can't really imagine myself being happy doing anything else other than Medicine. I'll get there one day!

So what are your plans for next year now then?

Ooh phlebotomy sounds fun :smile: I'm hoping to get a job as HCA in an outpatient department or in A&E - as you then get trained for ECG's, dressing wounds, etc :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by B59891
So what are your plans for next year now then?

Ooh phlebotomy sounds fun :smile: I'm hoping to get a job as HCA in an outpatient department or in A&E - as you then get trained for ECG's, dressing wounds, etc :smile:

That would be perfect :smile: . Phlebotomy is awesome, especially as most junior drs can't do it :wink:

Well I am enjoying my job at the moment but I'm going to speak to work tomorrow and see if they'd be happy to keep me on and see if i could be trained to do other things such as BP readings, dip-testing urine samples.

And I'm going to travel around Europe on my ownsome in June/July.

Sort of making it up as I go really :L
Reply 17
That would be perfect :smile: . Phlebotomy is awesome, especially as most junior drs can't do it :wink:

Well I am enjoying my job at the moment but I'm going to speak to work tomorrow and see if they'd be happy to keep me on and see if i could be trained to do other things such as BP readings, dip-testing urine samples.

And I'm going to travel around Europe on my ownsome in June/July.

Sort of making it up as I go really :L

On your own? Be careful!
Haha that's true, i've heard some bad stories about junior doctors! That's very exciting for you! You must hate having to go through the UKCAT/BMAT all over again :/
Reply 18
Haha just realised how patronising that sounded, sorry Mr A.Systole :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by B59891
On your own? Be careful!
Haha that's true, i've heard some bad stories about junior doctors! That's very exciting for you! You must hate having to go through the UKCAT/BMAT all over again :/

You sound just like my mother when I told her :P

Well I did the BMAT two years ago.....NEVER AGAIN.

UKCAT isn't too bad... . Definitely going to start my preparations even earlier this time though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending