The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on textbooks a year

I will start uni this Sept and was just wondering how can I save money on textbooks and other resources needed?
Reply 1
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I will start uni this Sept and was just wondering how can I save money on textbooks and other resources needed?

I didnt buy any text books during my time at uni. Instead i planned ahead and timed assignments so I was able to reserve the required material from the library.
Original post by Reue
I didnt buy any text books during my time at uni. Instead i planned ahead and timed assignments so I was able to reserve the required material from the library.

That's amazing did you get a 2:1?
Reply 3
That's amazing did you get a 2:1?

Yes.
Original post by Reue
Yes.

Nice what you doing atm?
Reply 5
Nice what you doing atm?

Pretending to work :biggrin:
Reply 6
I downloaded all the books from epud or ebooks and then printed them Out black and white. Saved £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Most of what you need will be available in the library. Sometimes the most popular/most recommended textbook might be hard to get, especially near the exam period, but in my experience, it doesn't make a lot of difference most of the time if you take out a different edition or choose a closely related textbook.

I've had a few times where there's been a book I'd like to get out which I haven't been able to get hold of (like sometimes lecturers recommend a book where there's like 4 copies across all the libraries and about 50 people on the module) but it's never been essential.

I did buy some textbooks in first year that came to about £100, but that was mostly because I was too lazy to figure out the library system, and I bought one last year that was about £40 because the lecturer said it was essential, but tbh I don't think we used it that much and there were probably equally good books in the library, so I didn't really need to buy any of them...
Reply 8
Try using abebooks :smile:
Original post by anontsr
I downloaded all the books from epud or ebooks and then printed them Out black and white. Saved £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice so ebooks are free from your uni? Does your uni provide you with free journals/articles as well?
70 quid or so and I am in AS level. I use them a lot, so they don't bother me for price.
A lot depends on (1) what subject you're doing, (2) where you like to study and (3) how good your uni's library is. I've spent about £200 each year so far, but that's because my subject has quite a few books and I prefer to work in my room rather than battle for copies in the library. On top of that I managed to make about £150 back selling last year's books to freshers, so fingers crossed I won't be more than about £150-200 out of pocket by the end of my degree.
Reply 12
Nice so ebooks are free from your uni? Does your uni provide you with free journals/articles as well?

No ebooks or epud is a online website you just type the name of the book in and it comes up, download it for free and then print it out however it may not have all books which is the drawback so its worth a try search it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
£0

I use the university library.
Original post by theflyingbarney
a lot depends on (1) what subject you're doing, (2) where you like to study and (3) how good your uni's library is. I've spent about £200 each year so far, but that's because my subject has quite a few books and i prefer to work in my room rather than battle for copies in the library. On top of that i managed to make about £150 back selling last year's books to freshers, so fingers crossed i won't be more than about £150-200 out of pocket by the end of my degree.

£150

+

Zilch.
The University library is more than sufficient to complete my degree.
Original post by cheeriosarenice
£150

+

Fair point :tongue:
I'm in my first year and I stupidly spent about £260 on the books they recommended.

They've only just started coming into use whilst I do assignments, so I'd seriously recommend just borrowing them from the library and then just renewing them. Or you could always ask somebody in the year above if you could borrow there's when you need them and just buy them a drink or something to say thanks!
Reply 18
Send me name of any textbook, I will send an eBook for cheap

Quick Reply