The Student Room Group

Do Cambridge mathematics graduates earn the highest starting salary of any graduate?

I was reading over this previous TSR thread in which a recent graduate from the Cambridge mathematics course was answering questions with regards to the degree itself. The OP openly clarified that he considered himself an "average mathmo" and that he "only just scraped a 2:1".

Nonetheless, when asked, "What job are you about to begin after graduation and how much is the starting salary?" he responds, "I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about specifying just yet (employers might stumble across this thread which may incriminate me) but I'll say something in S&T and 50k+."

Given that university guide websites consider a salary of £25,000+ after six months to be in "high" range, is this type of salary normal for Cambridge maths graduates? I also remember reading somewhere that the 2007 Senior Wrangler (person who comes top of the year) was offered a position as an executive director at UBS on a starting salary of £95,000.

If a starting salary around the region of £50,000 can be considered the "norm", are there any other graduates from particular courses/universities that tend to obtain starting salaries around this region too?
(edited 10 years ago)
Did economics at manchester. Start on just shy of 60K this august on a grad scheme at an IB.
Original post by StudiousMedic
I was reading over this previous TSR thread in which a recent graduate from the Cambridge mathematics course was answering questions with regards to the degree itself. The OP openly clarified that he considered himself an "average mathmo" and that he "only just scraped a 2:1".

Nonetheless, when asked, "What job are you about to begin after graduation and how much is the starting salary?" he responds, "I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about specifying just yet (employers might stumble across this thread which may incriminate me) but I'll say something in S&T and 50k+."

Given that university guide websites consider a salary of £25,000+ after six months to be in "high" range, is this type of salary normal for Cambridge maths graduates? I also remember reading somewhere that the 2007 Senior Wrangler (person who comes top of the year) was offered a position as an executive director at UBS on a starting salary of £95,000.

If a starting salary around the region of £50,000 can be considered the "norm", are there any other graduates from particular courses/universities that tend to obtain starting salaries around this region too?

Anybody in IB will be earning 50k+ starting

Cambridge maths is also heavily targeted by small consultancy firms, hedge funds etc which also pay big money.
According to Unistats, the average starting salary for a maths graduate from Cambridge was £30,000, whereas for economics it was £35,000.

So no, they're not, and you really can't base who you think is the best paid from only one graduate.
They definitely don't. As has already been mentioned, the average graduate pay is significantly below the average graduate pay of a number of other courses. But of course, there are many factors that are more important than graduate pay and it would be pretty sad to base your university decision on that.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending