The Student Room Group

Breaking: Russian gunmen take Ukrainian parliment and other government offices

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Snagprophet
Cheeky bastards.

Good move if you want to be Russian though :wink:
Original post by the mezzil
There are reports of Russian envoys distributing Russian passports in the peninsula. Russia's defence laws allow military action overseas to "protect Russian citizens

Have they been issued yet? I know that there is talk of issuing them but are they being handed out?
Go Russia kick some ass
Reply 23
Original post by tehFrance
Have they been issued yet? I know that there is talk of issuing them but are they being handed out?

At 12:37 28/02/2014 Russia's interior ministry is inviting former Ukrainian policemen who leave Ukraine to join their ranks in the Russian provinces. They can sign up after acquiring Russian citizenship, it says. During the violent unrest this winter, Ukrainian police officers, and especially the elite Berkut unit, were accused of crimes against protesters, including murder.

I'm sure their families are invited too. It would be wise to assume that many others would be given passports.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by the mezzil
At 12:37 28/02/2014 Russia's interior ministry is inviting former Ukrainian policemen who leave Ukraine to join their ranks in the Russian provinces. They can sign up after acquiring Russian citizenship, it says. During the violent unrest this winter, Ukrainian police officers, and especially the elite Berkut unit, were accused of crimes against protesters, including murder.

I'm sure their families are invited too. It would be wise to assume that many others would be given passports.

The russian police already has plenty of morons.
ETHNIC Russians not Russian (well it hasn't be proven that they're Russian yet). The Crimea was Russian 60 years ago, a lot of those Russians are still with us today and their children identify with being Russian, it'll most likely separate from Ukraine come May 25.

Referendum has been moved to end of March now, I think :P And there are plenty of Russians living in Crimea. I am Russian myself, and I used to live in Crimea?

Original post by WeeGuy
indeed its not. russia has too much to lose to let Ukraine go completely to the EU.

EU is bankrupt already. So is Ukraine. What's the point of it joining an already bankrupt union which is not going to bail them out?
Reply 26
Original post by Elliwhi

EU is bankrupt already. So is Ukraine. What's the point of it joining an already bankrupt union which is not going to bail them out?

i dont know ask Ukraine. the western part of Ukraine wants to join the EU. the eastern part wants closer ties with russia.

Russia wants Crimea (perhaps become part of russia???) and allies that are under their control. Russia is very concerned about the ever increasing influence of the EU.
Reply 27
ETHNIC Russians not Russian (well it hasn't be proven that they're Russian yet). The Crimea was Russian 60 years ago, a lot of those Russians are still with us today and their children identify with being Russian, it'll most likely separate from Ukraine come May 25.

You so conveniently forgot the 1944 mass deportation of the Crimean Tatars that was basically ethnic cleansing in disguise. Russians were used to repopulate Crimea and thus represent the murderous and imperialistic Soviet regime, they have no claim to that territory.
Wait what. I thought they'd be satisfied with breaking the country up and getting only the pro-Russian part.
Russia is so badass, I bet Putin is gonna challenge Obama to a topless wrestling match over the issue
Original post by Elliwhi
Referendum has been moved to end of March now, I think :P And there are plenty of Russians living in Crimea. I am Russian myself, and I used to live in Crimea?

I know a lot of Russians are there but you're not a Ukrainian citizen are you? I think most Ethnic Russians that are there are Ukrainian citizens but they do qualify for Russian citizenship.
Original post by CEKTOP
You so conveniently forgot the 1944 mass deportation of the Crimean Tatars that was basically ethnic cleansing in disguise. Russians were used to repopulate Crimea and thus represent the murderous and imperialistic Soviet regime, they have no claim to that territory.

You mean Turkish people? Who cares.
Reply 31

There are 6 mln Tatars in Russia - a force to be reckoned with.
Reply 32
I wish Russia would just hurry up and invade Ukraine, Belarus and Latvia with their super-army. I can't think of anything more exciting and salivatingly awesome than WWIII breaking out in Eastern Europe.
Reply 33
Original post by I Am Back
I wish Russia would just hurry up and invade Ukraine, Belarus and Latvia with their super-army. I can't think of anything more exciting and salivatingly awesome than WWIII breaking out in Eastern Europe.

You actually want WWIII to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Drizz
You actually want WWIII to happen?

Yeah, who wouldn't?
Reply 35
Yeah, who wouldn't?

I certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

Why would you want WWIII to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Drizz
I certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

Why would you want WWIII to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because we desperately need a major population culling event and a eastern-european war would do the trick.
Reply 37
Because we desperately need a major population culling event and a eastern-european war would do the trick.

Eastern Europe, especially in Ukraine and Russia, is already suffering a demographic decline due to very poor natality and alcoholism.
Russia will lose in the long run.
(edited 10 years ago)
I know a lot of Russians are there but you're not a Ukrainian citizen are you? I think most Ethnic Russians that are there are Ukrainian citizens but they do qualify for Russian citizenship.

I am a Russian citizen, however my grandma is under a Ukranian passport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending