The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My friend has a Nintendo DS and has the brain training game someone mentioned. Dr Kawashima or something. There's another one too that's being advertised at the moment.

It tells you your brain age and how you can help exercise your brain - I've found my brain age has come down (perhaps this is just because I'm getting familiar with the puzzles) but there's lots of different games and it tells you HOW they exercise your brain. I haven't done any of the tips yet but it's things like trying to pick out a single voice if you're on a busy train or bus.

Sarah xx
Reply 41
Does intelligence depend on ur race?
usman_s
Does intelligence depend on ur race?

IQ supposedly does. But intelligence and IQ are not the same thing. IQ is measured by one type of test.
Reply 43
a very sensitive question - which race is the most intelligent?
Reply 44
According to the (disputable) research, Orientals have, on average, the highest IQ scores, cranial capacities etc.
Reply 45
right i read an article on the fish oils/omega-3, it on average it increased the result of ONE GCSE level by a single a grade..i still take them anyway :smile:
Reply 46
my IQ is 168...not that it means anything important
Reply 47
poltroon
According to the (disputable) research, Orientals have, on average, the highest IQ scores, cranial capacities etc.

i heard it was male europeans
Reply 48
tctc

That's incredibly high! Mine is 124.
Reply 49
I think Asians have the highest IQ in the world in terms of race/ethnicity.
Reply 50
just went on wiki, aparantly it is asians, however, that research was mostly done in the USA. And generally only intelligent/usefull/skilled people are admitted in the USA from other countries...
Reply 51
hmm i see
Reply 52
anyhow, i personally dont think there would be that many descrepences. Not much evolution/adaptation has occured between the races...All i can think of at the moment is that asains are more adaptaded to eating strach, due to better saliva production..

Looking at history though most famous inventors/academics etc seem to be european, but maybe thats because thats whats generally taught in school
Reply 53
Good conclusion though, but practically i find asians intelligent n hardworking.. What ur saying it true, hmm now whats the explanation for this?
Reply 54
yes the majority o asians i know are intelligent and hardworking..
But i read an article in the paper the other day saying this was because asians are mostly muslim and muslims have more pressure to do well academically from their parents (which is a good idea to be honest.)

another reason i can think of is that because they are the ethnic minority in certain areas of the UK they may belive that they have to work harder to get picked for a job etc, and likewise for europeans in asia (china has only grated 11 people nationality from other countries last time i checked..)
edit:11 seems like a ridiculous number but im pretty sure thats what the documentry said, one was a hotel owner and one was a academic... maybe it was 11 from the USA or something..
Reply 55
tctc
yes the majority o asians i know are intelligent and hardworking..
But i read an article in the paper the other day saying this was because asians are mostly muslim and muslims have more pressure to do well academically from their parents (which is a good idea to be honest.)

another reason i can think of is that because they are the ethnic minority in certain areas of the UK they may belive that they have to work harder to get picked for a job etc, and likewise for europeans in asia (china has only grated 11 people nationality from other countries last time i checked..)

I think that is completely wrong. Muslims do incredibly bad in the education system. When it comes to IQ research, I think the term 'Asians' mean Indians (who are not Muslims), Japs, Chinese and etc. Muslim Bangladeshis, Turks, Pakistanis all do incredibly bad.
usman_s
a very sensitive question - which race is the most intelligent?

What colour were all the great inventors/scientists/architects/engineers?
Reply 57
the comment about muslims is not true... Thats wat i see around me. And muslims do have pressure from their parents. Right said..
With regards to ethnicity, its mostly about culture. Hard work and education are held to be incredibly important and valuable in asian families.

But there must be some genetic differences among races, too. The geographical separation of humans has been long enough for some evolution to occur. People seem scared to say it, but some races must be more inteligent than others, if only marginally. A recent study showed the Jewish race to have an average IQ 10 points above the average score - this, suposedly, is because the Jewish race, for milenia, has typically worked in jobs other than manual labour, and intelligence is highly valued in potential partners.

its an interesting subject, and was in new scientist a couple of months back, if anyone wants to look into it further!
Reply 59
tctc

168, are you sure? that is very very very rare.... where did you have it tested and what job/subject at uni do you do?

My IQ is somewhere in the 130s although I'm much better at Maths than IQ tests (relative to my 'intelligence' I don't think non verbal reasoning does me justice, thats the only official test I've done and I got 133)

Latest

Trending

Trending