The Student Room Group

Choosing FM Modules

I am an Upper Sixth student self teaching Further Maths, I have already completed D1 and FP1 for the FM and have done a Regular Maths A level, and will be sitting four modules this summer. I have decided on three of those modules (DE, FP2 and S3), but can't decide on the fourth, though I know it will either be M1 or FP3. I can't decide which one to choose as I've heard M1 is easier but I haven't done any Physics since GCSE. Does anyone have any advice?

NB. They will be OCR MEI
If you're worried about M1 because you haven't done physics in a while, don't be. I'm studying M1 now as part of my AS on the same course and very little, if any physics GCSE stuff comes up. Can't really comment on FP3 as I'm only in my first year but apparently it's the hardest module we do in our college. Hope that helps.
Go for M1. I did OCR MEI too, but we did M1 as our very first module at AS, before we had done any mechanics stuff in Physics AS, and it was perfectly possible. Many students do M1 without having done AS/ A2 physics. FP3 is a really challenging module - although of course that does depend on what you're good at...
m1 is my hardest module; it is relatively easy though however. i am in yr 12 doing edexcel further maths. M1 is stupid but there is little to no physics involved; just the ability to understand the concepts; it is just incredibly fiddly and easy to make mistakes, hence my hardest module.
If you've enjoyed the other FP modules, I'd go for FP3; it only gets better!

Then again, I prefer the 'pure' modules :P
Reply 5
I agree with alex (though not the mufc part)
Pure all the way

Though M1 is not difficult, if you like the FP1&2 then FP3

I do not teach your board but what I do know confirms this anyway
Original post by TenOfThem
I agree with alex (though not the mufc part)
Pure all the way

Though M1 is not difficult, if you like the FP1&2 then FP3

It's been proving quite tricky to agree with the mufc part myself recently :P

On a more serious note, I'm doing a pure maths degree, so it made sense for me to favour the FP modules. Perhaps if the OP is looking to go into an applied field, M1 would be more useful.
Reply 7
Original post by alexmufc1995
It's been proving quite tricky to agree with the mufc part myself recently :P

My son shares your pain

I, as an LUFC fan, can coach you on getting used to the pain :frown:

On a more serious note, I'm doing a pure maths degree, so it made sense for me to favour the FP modules. Perhaps if the OP is looking to go into an applied field, M1 would be more useful.

Given he is not doing physics I imagine that the Stats applieds will prove more useful - my daughter just started her maths degree and is amazed by the lack of stats skills amongst her cohort
Original post by TenOfThem
My son shares your pain

I, as an LUFC fan, can coach you on getting used to the pain :frown:

Given he is not doing physics I imagine that the Stats applieds will prove more useful - my daughter just started her maths degree and is amazed by the lack of stats skills amongst her cohort

Not that this is really the correct forum to complain, but I'm struggling to stick with Moyes after Tuesday's abomination. One of my friends is an LUFC fan, so I've been kept up to date with the 'on again/ off again' nature of the various financial takeovers recently. Sounds like Cellino (sp?) has had his fair share of controversy!

Ah, which uni? Sounds like maths is 'in the water' for your family :smile: I have to admit, S1 was terrible but I enjoy S2 much more!
Reply 9
Original post by alexmufc1995

Ah, which uni? Sounds like maths is 'in the water' for your family :smile: I have to admit, S1 was terrible but I enjoy S2 much more!

She is at Liverpool - she started there because they have a good "combined" programme but half way through year 1 she is now all maths :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest