The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE 1MA0 9th & 13th June 2014 Thread (Higher & Foundation)

Hi all
Seeing as my year 11s will be taking these exams (one class on higher, one on foundation) I thought I would start a thread to help!
I shall update the thread with some links, resources and try and help as much as I can (my students and others).

I have attached:
(1) A help sheet for foundation students in this thread. The one for higher is on it's way (being written now!)
(2) 20 Functional and wordy questions I have written to make sure students are happy with the 4/5/6 markers that can appear dodgy

I have made:
A daily 10 challenge that I tweet (@m4thsdotcom) out which is "Right or Wrong" and these will take about 5 minutes to do. They will get harder and higher ones will kick in at about challenge 50.

I shall update the following:

Higher Resources Links:

Spec:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/UG029981_GCSE_MathsA_Spec_2012.pdf

ebook
: http://www.drapersacademy.com/snow_day_work/gcse_higher_2-tier.pdf

Info and mock papers: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse10/maths/maths-a/Pages/default.aspx

Papers: www.edexcelmaths.com (Get your teacher to download papers)

Foundation Resources Links:

Spec:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/UG029981_GCSE_MathsA_Spec_2012.pdf

ebook
: http://www.themathsguy.com/uploads/5/2/9/3/5293036/gcse_foundation_2-tier.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Did this exam in the June 2013 series, (doing AS Maths and Further Maths now) will be interested to see what pops up in this next one :3
I think I will do a tip of the day each day to help out. Seems a good idea given the common mistakes picked up on examiners reports and from marking my students papers.

Tip of the day 1 - If you cross your workings or answer out make sure you have replaced it with something you think is better. A answer or workings that you think might be will always have a better chance of picking up marks than no answer.
One of my year 12's crossed out 6 marks of good workings/answers in their last paper. You are not going to get laughed at by the person marking it for a 'silly answer'
Reply 4
Original post by m4ths/maths247
I think I will do a tip of the day each day to help out. Seems a good idea given the common mistakes picked up on examiners reports and from marking my students papers.

Tip of the day 1 - If you cross your workings or answer out make sure you have replaced it with something you think is better. A answer or workings that you think might be will always have a better chance of picking up marks than no answer.
One of my year 12's crossed out 6 marks of good workings/answers in their last paper. You are not going to get laughed at by the person marking it for a 'silly answer'

If I may add? :cool::cool:

If you work out two answers, and you're not not sure which one to leave. Do NOT put both, as if one answer contradicts another, you will loose marks :smile:
Tip of the day 2 - Make sure your answer is logical and reasonable.
I marked a paper this week and the value obtained for the mean was 4 times the size of the largest value in the data set.

Pythagoras is another topic where this often happens when the square root is not taken.
One shorter side = 7cm
One shorter side = 24cm
Hypotenuse = ..........................................625cm

Get drawing that triangle :wink:

Your answer may not be right but check it is reasonable :smile:
Tip of the day 3 - Look at the amount of marks the question is worth. If it's worth 1 it usually just requires you to write the answer. If more marks are on offer show your workings. 4-5 mark questions require 4-5 marks of work.

Here is a common one!

Find the range of the following numbers:
(2 marks)

Many students answer:
Whilst correct this is worth 1 mark

Students should show 21 - 1 = 20 for the 2 marks.

You know what you are doing, I do, but does the examiner? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Tip of the day 4 - Units! Make sure (1) The text given and the question are in the same units (ie both cm) and make sure your answer states the units you use.

Typical example

A rectangle measures 2m by 3m.
(a) Find the perimeter of the rectangle giving your answer in cm.

Often pupils put it in meters and write 10m.

If you are not given units on the answer paper make sure you include them in your answer!
I did my GCSE maths last year, so if anyone needs a hand with anything give me a shout!
Tip of the day 5 - Check the formula sheet in your exam paper well in advance of the real exam. 9/10 students who don't find the area of a trapezium didn't know it's given at the front of the exam paper.
Tip of the day 6 - Doing past papers is a good way to revise but doesn't always mean you will do well in an exam. Make sure you learn each topic in depth rather than just doing exam questions.
Tip of the day 7 - Check you have answered the question and not just done the maths required.
"Should John buy carpet x or carpet y?"
If you have just shown one is cheaper than the other but not stated which he should buy you are liable to losing marks.
Thanks for the tips, I'm doing my exams this year too :smile:
It's funny because I just done a maths test and all the tips you have given are all the things i tend to mess up on. so yeah, keep them coming! :yy:
Original post by ilikesweets
Thanks for the tips, I'm doing my exams this year too :smile:
It's funny because I just done a maths test and all the tips you have given are all the things i tend to mess up on. so yeah, keep them coming! :yy:

Thanks and good luck to you.
My guys have another mock on Monday and I am sure a few more will come up!

Tip of the day 8 - If you solve an equation(s) check your answer(s) work in the original equation(s)

3x -1 = 5x - 9
-1 = 2x - 9
8 = 2x
4 = x

Now check 4 satisfies the equation...
LHS 3(4)-1 = 11
RHS 5(4)-9 = 11
11 = 11 and you have the correct solution.
Tip of the day 3 - Look at the amount of marks the question is worth. If it's worth 1 it usually just requires you to write the answer. If more marks are on offer show your workings. 4-5 mark questions require 4-5 marks of work.

Here is a common one!

Find the range of the following numbers:
(2 marks)

Many students answer:
Whilst correct this is worth 1 mark

Students should show 21 - 3 = 18 for the 2 marks.

You know what you are doing, I do, but does the examiner? :smile:

The range should be 20, bro.

Man, gcses look like piss lol :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
The range should be 20, bro.

Man, gcses look like piss lol :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is me giving the tips and I miss the 1 :smile:

In terms of how they look IMO it's all about how they look when you sit them as a year 10/11. I know many of my guys have worked so hard and still struggle with them yet may look back in the future and think they are easy. It's all about adaptation and overload.
I always remember being amazed at the blackboard in the year 6 classroom when I was year 4 thinking "How on earth can they do that"
It happens at all levels but in reality its how hard something is relative to where you are. :smile:
There is me giving the tips and I miss the 1 :smile:

In terms of how they look IMO it's all about how they look when you sit them as a year 10/11. I know many of my guys have worked so hard and still struggle with them yet may look back in the future and think they are easy. It's all about adaptation and overload.
I always remember being amazed at the blackboard in the year 6 classroom when I was year 4 thinking "How on earth can they do that"
It happens at all levels but in reality its how hard something is relative to where you are. :smile:

Yeah, my mandem. You have put that well. Completely agree with yer, my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All grade boundaries for the past exams are attached.
Tip of the day 9 - Make sure you close your exam paper and check there isn't a question on the back outside page. - I have marked 28 papers this week and 6 have the last question missed.
Somebody give this man some rep. He's posting away and nobody is reciprocating or showing any love. Come on pls. This is unacceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending