The Student Room Group

Which AQA A level Psychology is easier to take and to understand A or B? please help

I will be taking Psychology A levels but i am not sure which one will be easier to study. I am not interested into doing a Psychology degree but i still need a good grade.

Any help please.:confused:

Thank you
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm not sure about AQA B but I'm currently doing my AS level in Psychology AQA A.
I don't think any is 'easier', but I would suggest looking up the topics because if you find the one you will enjoy more, you will be more keen and interested in learning the subject matter and doing the work if that makes sense?

The topics i've done so far are:
Memory
Attachment
Research Methods (covered in all psychology courses)
Stress- quite biology based about how the body response to stress i.e the nervous system.
Conformity
Abnormality.

Let me know if you want any further detail.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. i have decided to take the A and i purchased a book today. I started reading the Memory models and i have to admit there are so many studies we need to memorise.

I am determined to take Unit 1 exams this summer. I believe exam date is on 13th May.

How do you find the course? any tips on those studies and how to approach memorising them?

Thank you again.

Maria
Reply 3
Hi,

I hope you found that helpful. I would suggest buying at least two books for the course. I have the AQA A book ( it's blue and we use it in class). I have also brought a CGP one (make sure you buy the one for this exam board). The CGP one is quite condensed.

I'm still doing unit two at the moment, but yes that is the exam date.

You would need to know: Memory, Attachment and Research methods.

I don't know if I would suggest taking the exam this soon. In lesson for 3 hours a week from September to December we learnt unit one memory and attachment and for an hour a week we did research methods. Having that time means i've been taught all the approaches and studies properly and that time means that I could get familiar with it. At the end of each topic we also had a end of unit test. We got told a week before, so that meant we had a taster of revising the unit and had an attempt at past paper questions. Each week we had at least 2 hours work we were set after school. So that equates to 6 hours a week for that time just to learn the material before we even thought about revising.

For learning the studies It depends what learning style you are. You can take a test to determine this. My teacher said if you forget the name of a couple of the reseachers during the exam it won't loose you marks cause you don't gain marks for saying their name but you can't do that all the way through cause the exam marker will want to see that you have in depth knowledge and understanding.

I'd suggest knowing the aim, couple of points of the procedure so you can talk about what they did, a couple of points of what they found, and probably two positive and two negative evaluation points just incase you get asked to do an outline and evaluation question.

For learning them: If you are a auditory learner, you will learn them by speaking them into your phone and playing them back or getting someone else to say the studies out loud. For visual, you will learn by writing mindmaps, notes, cue cards and using pictures and colours. If you are kinaesthetic it could be something practical such as walking around and placing post it notes around the house or something practical such as dancing and making a song.

It all depends which style you are as to what will work for you.

Let me know what you think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending