The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can I just say, as a warning almost: somebody I met did Russian ab-initio along with French at Oxford (started last year). She found it really hard and had to get BEYOND a-level standard within 7 months basically.

Moreover, she failed just one of her eight tests and has a re-take in September. If she doesn't pass the re-take (think she gets more chances than just one retake though), then she can't continue her degree full stop - not even the French bit.

Having said that, I do Russian at the moment at GCSE, will be doing it next year for AS: i absolutely adore it and want to do it at uni. I thoroughly recommend the language as it's, quite simply put, - amazing.
:eek: y did u have to tell me that?:eek: ignorance is bliss

wait, yeah, u have til christmas exams to get to AS/Alevel standard ish. i believe ab initio students are the 1s who crack the 1st, but once uve got to the standard its not AS hard as other things, u have to get past the 1st 6 months tho..........*eek*
then she can't continue her degree full stop - not even the French bit.
That's so harsh. But i'm not that worried about it because surely (whilst you do, of course, have to put in lots of effort) the lecturers and tutors will be there to help you through it all - it's their job (and what you're paying them £3000 a year to do), so i'm sure they'll help you through it all and if you're extremely willing and commited to the Russian + French combination then it should be amazing. No1moshin, what exactly do you find so great about Russian (I want to do it ab initio with French at UCL in Sept '07) and i'm just interested in people's experiences with the language etc. спасибо !
i have asked this before, but how advanced are these said beginners?? like for russian, can read out loud? the alphabet, the grammar?

Latest

Trending

Trending