The Student Room Group

Need a residency waiver for RAF. Any help?

ok, so this is my first post so go easy. I have been told I need a residency waiver to apply for the RAF. My chosen role is a mover in logistics. I fit into the category of 'Lived in Uk for under 3 years' and meet all the requirements there. Those being - British citizen from birth, both parents are british, spent first 15 years living in Uk, emigrated to Australia (commonwealth country) and lived with parents and attended high school out there. Problem I have is that I haven't lived in UK for the last 6ish years. that's where I get stuck. Before I even go to the correct people for this, if there is anyone who knows about this, maybe even a recruiter (im on this website a lot and there have been a few), who can tell me whether I stand a chance in being accepted for one. And also the process of getting one. I have been given the correct number but am still currently in Australia and unable to do anything for a few months until I get there. so any info will be greatly appreciated. I was a minor (14) when I emigrated so it was not by choice. Would this be an advantage to me cos I had no choice in moving? Im 21 btw
Original post by dumbblonde
ok, so this is my first post so go easy. I have been told I need a residency waiver to apply for the RAF. My chosen role is a mover in logistics. I fit into the category of 'Lived in Uk for under 3 years' and meet all the requirements there. Those being - British citizen from birth, both parents are british, spent first 15 years living in Uk, emigrated to Australia (commonwealth country) and lived with parents and attended high school out there. Problem I have is that I haven't lived in UK for the last 6ish years. that's where I get stuck. Before I even go to the correct people for this, if there is anyone who knows about this, maybe even a recruiter (im on this website a lot and there have been a few), who can tell me whether I stand a chance in being accepted for one. And also the process of getting one. I have been given the correct number but am still currently in Australia and unable to do anything for a few months until I get there. so any info will be greatly appreciated. I was a minor (14) when I emigrated so it was not by choice. Would this be an advantage to me cos I had no choice in moving? Im 21 btw

The only people who can properly advise you is an armed forces careers office.

They may only allow you to apply after you have lived back in the UK for 5 years which is the current residential requirements but I'd seek guidance on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Definitely worth calling the Careers Office. The requirement, as stated above, is that you have to have lived in the UK for the 5 years before you submit your application. Give the AFCO a call though, as they will be able to provide further and more accurate details.
Reply 3
Original post by ryan9900
Definitely worth calling the Careers Office. The requirement, as stated above, is that you have to have lived in the UK for the 5 years before you submit your application. Give the AFCO a call though, as they will be able to provide further and more accurate details.

Yeah I definitely will. just cant really do a whole lot from over here though so will have to wait a few months. just trying to get peoples feedback and opinions. so thanks for the reply. appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest