The Student Room Group

Which course for prestige/prospects?

After receiving all 5 of my offers I am stuck between 3..

Politics & Sociology @ Warwick
Politics @ Nottingham
Politics and Sociology @ Sheffield

I am unsure of which will withhold the greatest opportunities, therefore am in need of help to decide which has the best prospects and which has the greatest prestige..

Thank you!
Difference in prestige and prospects is negligible. Look at the modules and choose based on what seems the most interesting. What support do they have? Any grants or bursaries you could get? Where would you most like to live? What's the cost of halls and student rents in the area?

All the are more important factors than TSRs view of their 'prestige'. Employers will not care which of these you go to. What matters is your degree class and what experience you get while you're at uni.
Original post by spaceritual

Politics @ Nottingham

Thank you!

This was my course once upon a time. According to Unistats 93% of people get a first or 2.1 so if you go for this one you are at least paying for something near impossible to fail.
Warwick > Notts >>> Sheffield in terms of uni reputation.
Reply 4
Original post by x__justmyluck
Difference in prestige and prospects is negligible. Look at the modules and choose based on what seems the most interesting. What support do they have? Any grants or bursaries you could get? Where would you most like to live? What's the cost of halls and student rents in the area?

All the are more important factors than TSRs view of their 'prestige'. Employers will not care which of these you go to. What matters is your degree class and what experience you get while you're at uni.

Thank you, that's probably the best advice. As someone said below, the prestige normally goes Warwick>>Notts>>Sheff but i dont think Warwick would be an interesting place to live, and would only be going for the prestige so can rule that out.

Cheers!

Original post by 3458349058349053
This was my course once upon a time. According to Unistats 93% of people get a first or 2.1 so if you go for this one you are at least paying for something near impossible to fail.

Would you mind me asking what you went on to do after graduating from Notts? Good job prospects etc? Thanks

Original post by yl95
Warwick > Notts >>> Sheffield in terms of uni reputation.

Would you say this gap is vast or negligible?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Personally anything with the word 'sociology' in it makes me run for the hills, so the Politics only course is a clear winner, but I doubt that would be relevant to you :P
Reply 6
Original post by seaholme
Personally anything with the word 'sociology' in it makes me run for the hills, so the Politics only course is a clear winner, but I doubt that would be relevant to you :P

Yeah, i know the stigma attached to it, but i find it a very interesting subject.

Got offers for Politics & Philosophy at Sheffield & Manchester too.. (But hate the structure of the Manchester courses in social sciences).. is Philosophy less frowned upon?
Reply 7
Yeah, i know the stigma attached to it, but i find it a very interesting subject.

Got offers for Politics & Philosophy at Sheffield & Manchester too.. (But hate the structure of the Manchester courses in social sciences).. is Philosophy less frowned upon?

I had to study it (involuntarily) as part of my Uni course so it's not so much stigma as personal experience that makes me run. Before I took it, I actually thought it might be quite interesting! Anyway we're different people so I'm not trying to diss your love of it in any way, we all have different interests. Mine isn't sociology but yours is! Besides which, you just used the word 'stigma' which is basically a glorious sign that you and sociology are made for each other. :P Sociologists love a bit of stigma, it fascinates them and consumes their days.

I guess my main point was that you're not just looking at different Unis and prestige and stuff but also that you'll feel like you're doing completely different courses. Politics & Sociology will be hugely different to just Politics. So that would really be my main criteria if I were in your shoes - do I want to pursue both or just one? It helps you eliminate either 1 or 2 options.
(edited 10 years ago)

Would you mind me asking what you went on to do after graduating from Notts? Good job prospects etc? Thanks

A minimum wage retail job I could have done after A-levels. :smile:
As a 2nd year Sociology undergraduate at the University of Sheffield, I can say that although the career prospects and prestige elements are very competitive and students are actively helped throughout there, the success of your University career is mainly down to how much effort you put in and how active you are in extracurricular things. The careers service is wonderful and always available for guidance and support and also runs programmes such as the Sheffield Graduate Award and Skills For Work which are great to get involved in to enhance your employability. Recent Sociology graduates at Sheffield have gone into job sectors including local government, management, research and welfare. These are just examples and the charm of a Sociology degree is that it opens the door to a wide variety of jobs. Any more questions just ask!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending