The Student Room Group

US Government and Politics: Revision Exchange Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if I can get away with referring to George H W Bush and George W Bush as Bush snr and Bush jnr in this exam? Just to save time, I'm worried that it won't be clear enough though
Reply 41
Does anyone know what we actually have to know about the federal bureaucracy? And what possible questions they could ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jtc4444
Does anyone know what we actually have to know about the federal bureaucracy? And what possible questions they could ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would need to know that pressure groups influence the Executive by influencing the federal bureaucracy as opposed to just the president. No question has EVER come up about federal bureaucracy so it is very hard to predict what type of question would come up.

Guess

Assess the importance of the federal bureaucracy

Assess the problems of the federal bureaucracy

I think the specification states that a question on the federal bureaucracy WILL NOT appear as a 45 marker.
Reply 43
I'm just quite worried about when they as about the way politics has changed over time like "has the Roberts court become more conservative since 2005".
All the examples I've been learning and finding have just been general and not structured in a certain way. aah I hope I'll be fine :smile:
Hi guys. I have updated the Original Post with a lot of links to help with revision.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me so that I can try and help.
Original post by samaiar
I'm just quite worried about when they as about the way politics has changed over time like "has the Roberts court become more conservative since 2005".
All the examples I've been learning and finding have just been general and not structured in a certain way. aah I hope I'll be fine :smile:

Most people don't even know any examples for the Supreme court. I am skipping the Supreme court but you could talk about the recent appointments of Sonia Satomayor and Elena Kagen as an example of the court becoming more liberal.
Can someone please explain the National Popular Vote to me?

I'm planning the question 'The electoral college should be replaced by a National Popular Vote'. Discuss
Original post by sammyruse
Does anyone know if I can get away with referring to George H W Bush and George W Bush as Bush snr and Bush jnr in this exam? Just to save time, I'm worried that it won't be clear enough though

The examiner would figure it out.
Original post by eagleclawsan
The examiner would figure it out.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by eagleclawsan
Most people don't even know any examples for the Supreme court. I am skipping the Supreme court but you could talk about the recent appointments of Sonia Satomayor and Elena Kagen as an example of the court becoming more liberal.

I have been learning examples because my teacher said a point isn't considered a point if it isn't backed by an example. Maybe even more so if you want a higher grade...
Reply 50
Original post by samaiar

With this question the main thing to talk about it the appointments. Both Kagan and Sotomayor have been like-for-like replacements so it would seem like the philosophical composition wouldn't become more conservative. But when you look at some of the decisions made it this time it's actually the opposite... for example the Carhart decision in 2007.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This guy has a few good videos for US politics! http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPaulhickling
Anyone got one or two good Direct Action examples for pressure groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Is anyone here doing AQA Unit 4A - The Government of the USA?
Original post by MSc0tt
Is anyone here doing AQA Unit 4A - The Government of the USA?

I am, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Endless Blue

Have you got any revision resources you would like to exchange? :smile:
okay guys, what are we speculating to be on this exam?
Original post by Endless Blue
Anyone got one or two good Direct Action examples for pressure groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first type of direct action is violent, such as that undertaken in 1995 by an extreme right-wing militia group who launched a bomb attack on the Oklahoma City federal government building.

The second type of direct action is non-violent, usually in the form of marches or demonstrations. In September 2011 the Occupy Wall Street movement occupied Zucotti Park in New York City, it was the first to receive full focus of the media.

At first glance, the Occupy Movement was exercising the right to association but what some saw as the left's answer to the Tea Party Movement simply became another failed campaign - the emergence of violence led to a deterioration of public support and ultimate dissolution of the group. This highlights the lack of success that pressure groups experience if they turn to violent direct action, but both violent and non-violent do have their merits and is certainly effective in engaging the mass media to highlight an the issue or cause a group is concerned with unlike the traditional, more passive, forms of lobbying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Hey guys I made this document with all the possible questions (highlighted ones have come up in some form before). Hope it helps!
Original post by FH1
Hey guys I made this document with all the possible questions (highlighted ones have come up in some form before). Hope it helps!

holy crap. now this has just scared the **** out of me.

my advice would be to plan answers to all the generic/common 45 markers as one is always repeated(just worded differently).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending